Bret Mason???

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jerry Wright

Bret Mason???

Post by Jerry Wright »

Does Bret Mason Have a web site.Our Lead Guitar player wants to get some Info.

------------------
www.secondgen.com

Tom Diemer

Post by Tom Diemer »

I've never been able to find one Jerry. Brent was from here before he went to Nashville - great player then too. Got to play with him a few times.

Reason for my post, I have to tell you, you have the coolest internet page I've seen in a long time!

Tom

Jerry Wright

Post by Jerry Wright »

Thanks! I Built the web page myself.I am still working on it as I have time
Jim Vogan

Post by Jim Vogan »

www.brentmason.com I just found this on the web. Meant to post it here, but hit the wrong button.

------------------
Jim Vogan Emmons Sd10 Stereo steel Amp
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

Jim, Thanks for posting that Link to Brent's site. If you go there, then you will read about Brent's "Hot Licks" instruction video. If you are a Brent fan or play Telecaster, it is a MUST have.

Brent is my all-time favorite guitar player and when you go to see him and the Players play at 3rd and Lindsley's, you will realize that Brent is not just a great musician, but a Superstar. The guy can sing as soulfully as anyone you could want to hear. He is an accomplished song writer and can play any style well: from country to jazz to rock to classical to Jerry Reed.

Do not forget that Brent played on Doug Jernigan's "Country Jazz Steel Guitar" (aka "Jazz on 10") recording and had a big part in the arranging of it.

As for the Brent's CD, "Hot Wired," it is one of the best ever. I have never gotten tired of it and neither has my wife. If I were stranded on an island for the rest of my life and could only choose a few CDs, this would be one of them. Disclaimer: if you hate cool jazz, then you will not like some of the songs, but the variety of music on it very wide for only 10 songs.

Paul Franklin does some impossible solos on this CD and Paul's solo on the song, "Swing with a Sting" may literally be the most perfect jazz solo I have ever heard performed on a steel guitar. It is THAT good.

Matt Rollins does a masterful job on piano/keyboards and Paul has mentioned possibly using him on a future CD project of his own.

Jerry Douglas' dobro solo on "Sugarfoot Rag" is amazing and do not forget Terry McMillan--"the Brent Mason of the Harmonica." (My own label for him)

I guess it is safe to say I am a Brent Mason fan! Image

Frank

------------------
Frank Estes - The Country Jazz Mullen

Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Frank,
I a big fan of Brent's too!!! I have his Hot Wired CD and the Hot Licks Tape but I also have a copies of some of the American Music Shop shows from TNN when Brent was the staff guitarist. My favorite is the one which featured Mark O'Conner and the New Nashville Cats. On the opening tune (which was lightning fast) he played an incredible guitar solo which was enhanced by the camera work. The camera man/woman got almost under him and you could see exactly which string he was picking and which finger he was picking it with. It's probably the best camera work I've ever seen on any show which featured live music. The same for Paul Franklin! When he took his solo the camera was in front of him where you could actually look up underneath his strings and catch his wonderful technique first hand. This camera person must have been a picker himself to have even thought about getting these good shots.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

Ok, Jerry, hand them over! Image

I would bet the tune was "Pick it Apart" which is on the O'Conner CD, "The New Nashville Cats."

You know, they use to sell an audio cassette course of that tune, "Pick it Apart" by Brent Mason. I fooled around not ordering it and now I think it is out of stock!!! Image
RON PRESTON

Post by RON PRESTON »

Guys, when I want an ADRENILIN LIFT....I just plug in PICK-IT-APART. These guys are NOT from THIS PLANET....(Know what I mean?)
Cory Brown

Post by Cory Brown »

They are human.When I went to see them a buddy of mine took a pick guard off of his tele to get Brent to sign it. he handed Brent that pick guard Brent looked at it and said "Cool". He is just like you and me.He just got hit a little harder with the Talent Stick. Bobbe Seymour referred to him as Mr. Showbiz and said "I think he gets paid by the note". But when we talked to him he seemed just like a regular guy. Cory
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Frank,
I still can't believe I don't have Brent's "Hot Wired" cd.
Cory,
Brent's a regular guy with alot of talent! He has a great sense of humor too! Image
Theresa
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Great guitar player!

(Theresa;
Maybe you could talk to Brent and see if he can get the site updated! Image)

------------------
My best,
Ernie
The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Greg Derksen

Post by Greg Derksen »

Theresa, get that CD! The playing and the tunes, are incredable, Brent really nails
different styles so well, Chet's on a cut
also which is pretty cool, Paul's playing
is awesome to say the least, Greg
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Thanks guys! I'll see what I can do about both.
Theresa Image
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Theresa,

You are missing a real treat with Hot Wired, That guy Paul plays some real incredible stuff on it too. Do you know him at all Image

No really it's a favorite at my house

------------------
Regards, Craig