Getting the steel guitar/artist back to CENTER STAGE

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ray Montee

Getting the steel guitar/artist back to CENTER STAGE

Post by Ray Montee »

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ray Montee on 01 April 2002 at 09:34 PM.]</p></FONT>
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Go with the flow, roll with the punches, don't make waves...yada, yada, yada. Image Most of the dumb-ass public don't know good stuff when they hear it...Country or anything else for that matter.
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

"By way of the Forum's Event Page, four country DJ's of nat'l prominence could be posted each month, complete with mailing address and the like. Each month, a particularly "pretty steel number" could be posted as the single song of the month.
At the designated time, all 3,000 +/- Forumites and their families and friends, could send letters to this selected DJ requesting said song.....be played......"

You actually think "country DJ's of nat'l prominence" pick the songs they play??? Not since Clear Channel....
Bob Allen

Post by Bob Allen »

Donny I agree with you.The public usually don't know one instrument from the other. But I do like the idea. Bob Allen
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

I respect the responses. b0b please close this thread.
Ronald Riddle

Post by Ronald Riddle »

Do not forget steel players,the steel guitar is a new instrument.People in the tv buisiness that hold high positons are all ex camera men.And we all know from watching various shows of how they pan a lead guitar player or someone other than the steel player
as they take their pictures.Believe it or not I play at Cowboy Church every Sunday night and they just built a brand new stage and they gave me the center stage spot.I am now on all the church videos and I feel like a Star.I wished every steel player could play at my church and they would feel appreciated.I might even ask Bobbe Seymour to come as a guest artist.
Ron Riddle
Randy Pettit

Post by Randy Pettit »

Also, don't forget that with the Sacred Steelers, the steel guitar is THE featured instrument - front and center.
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

......."mom is always asking me, why do they only show your hands on tv".....(Waylon)....
Kurt Graber

Post by Kurt Graber »

I faced facts a long time ago Steel Players will never get the respect they deserve. The only reason we don't quit is we can't. We wouldn't want to play anything else and this is by far the coolest instrument on the band stage.....Were stuck
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

This does bring up an interesting point. I also play gospel music and I am sometimes embarrassed by all the attention. After a solo I am usually applauded and when introduced, somebody always hoops and hollers! These folks really appreciate the steel! We play "Ya'll Come" for the closing number each night, and people gather around the stage and we will play it 20 minutes, sometimes!
Best gig in the Land!
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Hey Ray--

Sorry you deleted your post--it was a very valid idea--just not feasable in today's Clear Channel dominated world. Keep on posting. Image