Your opinion of top 5 composers of steel guitar songs.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Harry Hess

Post by Harry Hess »

Too hard to compile a list without probably leaving the most important people out, but I do feel that Lloyd Green should receive special mention for his compositions for the E9 tuning.

Regards,
HH
RichardMcKinney

Post by RichardMcKinney »

I would say, Buddy Emmons,Bobbe Seymour, Larry Behm, Tommy White, Bruce Bouton, Paul Franklin. I know that's 6.I could'nt resist.

------------------
Keep on Steelin
Carter 4/k 3/p Thanks Larry

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by RichardMcKinney on 29 March 2002 at 08:43 PM.]</p></FONT>
Pat Burns

Post by Pat Burns »

<SMALL>I could have been a great song writer, If only I could have spelled!</SMALL>
...Jeez, Bobbe, how can you misspell a steel guitar instrumental?...
Chuck Norris

Post by Chuck Norris »

My favorites would be the the guy who would write something new, has anybody got an all got an origional CD out. Hum!!!!!
Chuck Norris NFM
p.s. Chuck Lettes, Jerry Brightman, Jr Knight, Buddy, this is a challange boy`s!
Lee Allen

Post by Lee Allen »

Just had to add this one.
The GARDENIA WALTZ played by Buddy Charlton
and the Texas Troubedors was written by
Johnny Gimble the fiddle player.

[2] Sho~Buds and a sore back!!
Lee Allen
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>My favorites would be the the guy who would write something new, has anybody got an all got an origional CD out. Hum!!!!!
</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Image Image
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

Yes,

Chas Smith records original music for the steel guitar. You all should start inviting him to your comventions. People like him will save the instrument.
Gil Berry

Post by Gil Berry »

Everyone has listed the greats of commercial pedal steel. But as I read the instructions, we were to consider who has had the greatest influence on todays pedal steel playing (and players).....So I wish to nominate Jeff Newman. He is an excellent player, but more importantly, who among us has not learned something from his many years of teaching???
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

Billy Bowman
Lloyd Green
Buddy Emmons
Buddy Charelton
Red Rhodes

Tom Morrell
Noel Boggs
Jody Carver
Leon McCauliffe
Maurice Anderson

I just like all of these players and a bunch more too. It's a kind of pedal and non-pedal favorites list.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Frank Parish on 31 March 2002 at 10:55 AM.]</p></FONT>
Chuck Norris

Post by Chuck Norris »

Johan, I alway`s talk like that at 6am, Susan I don`t know if the steel guitar need`s saving but let`s hear more about your steel player, is he composing or just arranging, Gil I think this thread was more on composing than just great player`s. Just my 3 cent`s.
Happy Easter
Chuck Norris NFM
Leonard Bick

Post by Leonard Bick »

Buddy Emmons
Jimmy Day
Bud Isaacs
Jerry Byrd
Curly Chalker
Herb Remington
Jimmie Crawford
Doug Jernigan
Maurice Anderson
Don't want to put one above the other for their style that they've contributed. Buddy Emmons and Jimmy Day have to be #1.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Leonard Bick on 31 March 2002 at 03:51 PM.]</p></FONT>