WALTER HAYNES.......exceptional steel picker

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ray Montee

WALTER HAYNES.......exceptional steel picker

Post by Ray Montee »

After losing out on eBay a few weeks ago....
and thus not being able to acquire the album
of fine steel guitar instrumentals by none other than fellow Forumite Walter Haynes....
who would've ever tho't that today I have a copy of that album that came to me by way of still another wonderful Forumite from clear around on the other side of the world.
Having been involved with the steel guitar and playing professionally now for more years than I care to try and remember, I just have to say that I've made more new, and valued "friends" this past year from Australia thro' Canada and all over Europe; Finland, England, Germany, etc. than I have in 50 years of professional playing. Yes, new friends too, from No.Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, Montana, Ohio, etc.
If wasn't for b0b, none of this could have happened. THANK YOU once again b0b! You are much appreciated.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Walter Haynes was so far ahead of his time it was unreal. He achieved a great sound on primitive steel guitars compared to today's steel guitar. Check out "High Boots" instrumental and with Dickens on " We Could" and "Concience".Jody.
Frank Venters

Post by Frank Venters »

Didn't Walter Haynes play some of that Cajun music on steel with Jimmie C. Newman? Seems I remember (CRS)that he played with Jimmie C.......
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Hey there Jody! "High Boots" is on the album that I just received. It's truly great as were all of the other cuts thereon.
I've had J.Dicken's record of "We Could" for years......"Conscience" is a new tune for me to find and listen to. By the way Jody, is that Walter on those several religious tunes that J.Dicken's recorded back in that same era?
Frank.....I can't comment about your remarks, as I've only just discovered Walter.
Sad to have to admit that.
VERNON PRIDDY

Post by VERNON PRIDDY »

Walter Haynes And I Have Been Good Friends For Years He Is One Of The Best. SONNY.

------------------
SONNYPRIDDY

Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

(quote by Frank)..."Didn't Walter Haynes play some of that Cajun music on steel with Jimmie C. Newman?"......

I didn't know who played it at the time but I was on a package show once that included the "Aligator Man", and had to cover that cajun backup for Jimmy's numbers!" www.genejones.com
Walter Haynes

Post by Walter Haynes »

Hi Guys, yes I did play all of Jimmy Newman's spots on the opry and some record sessions also. I used a capo most of the time on the cajun tunes. I had to capo to the key he did the tune so I could have open strings. Thanks Walter Haynes
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Thanks Walter,
I was just about to ask if you were the one that did the capo on a lot of the cuts in that era.Seems like I remember Shot J. offering a capo in one of the Sho Bud flyers,a totaly cool sound.Thanks for the memories>
Bill Ford

------------------
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

Walter, are you going to attend the Dallas show this year? I would like to shake your hand for the great playing you have done. See you at 6PM at the Carter room on Saturday. www.genejones.com
Walter Haynes

Post by Walter Haynes »

Gene, I will be in Dallas on Friday afternoon and will look forward to meeting you. This will be my second time to attend, it's a great show and I get to see some old friends from Nashville and new ones I meet at the show. See you there----W.H.
wayne yakes md

Post by wayne yakes md »

Buddy Emmons said to me, after he rehearsed the song "We Could" with Johnny Bush and Justin Trevino at the Midnight Jamboree in Nashville, that Walter Haynes with "Little" Jimmy Dickens had the the BEST hook on the song he ever heard and always admired Walter.