David Lindley on "Late for the Sky"

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Peter Goeden

David Lindley on "Late for the Sky"

Post by Peter Goeden »

I was listening to David Lindley on "Farther On" on Jackson Brown's "Late for the Sky" release. It sounds like he's using a guitar pick instead of finger picks. Can anyone confirm this or explain why it sounds like that? Thanks, Peter Goeden
Pete Grant

Post by Pete Grant »

Finger picks. It's probably a Valco-made Supro which he favored in the studio over the Rickenbachers he used on stage with Jackson. It could be any of a wide array of amps that David has. It's a 1 5 1 3 5 1 tuning.

You can learn a lot from trying to phrase like Lindley. I learned what one note nicely placed can do.

Maybe that's why you thought it might be a flat pick. He's playing lines, not licks.
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

It sounds like that 'cuz he's a freakin' genius! Image
He's the king of the 'Rock-n-Roll' lap steel tone.

------------------
Half-assed bottleneck and lap slide player. Full-assed Builder of resonator instruments.
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

<SMALL>I learned what one note nicely placed can do...... He's playing lines, not licks.</SMALL>
Excactly! That's what I've always loved about his playing...

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Peter Goeden

Post by Peter Goeden »

Interesting! Thanks for the info.
Jeff Watson

Post by Jeff Watson »

Wrong song, never mind.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jeff Watson on 22 April 2005 at 08:43 PM.]</p></FONT>
Loni Specter

Post by Loni Specter »

David is the master of the rock slide no doubt. I have seen him with Jackson a few times and he wails. I wish I remembered the set up he used, but I was not a steeler back then. I have 5 photos of Jackson Browne in a book called "Diary of a Holdout" published in the Early 80's Not one pic of Lindley unfortunately.
I do believe he was using a Dumble Amp though. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I have worn out my Kaliedescope "beackon from Mars LP. Did they ever release a CD of that?
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Yep I found it on Amazon, Loni. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001BKB5M/qid=1114227240/sr=2-4/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_4/102-2780601-2136159

My old reel-to-reel tape is hard to play since my tape recorder is so old.

Lindlay does often sound like he's using a pick, his attack is soooo spectacular.
Loni Specter

Post by Loni Specter »

Paul, Thankyou so much!
Terry VunCannon

Post by Terry VunCannon »

I've said it on other DL threads & I'll say it again..."David Lindley is why I play lap steel today".
He does use thumb & finger picks, & his attack on the strings is very precise & sharp. I have seen him solo, & he does things on a weissenborn that looks impossible, and sings at the same time.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Yeah Uncle Dave is pretty much the last word in accuracy when it comes to the overdriven sound on lap steel. I don't think I have ever heard him hit a clam on anything live, and I've seen him quite a few times. You guys that like that sound ought to check out Tony Bruno in Major Lingo, kinda hippie/grateful style songs but absolutely ROARING Ricky bakelite steel tone. Needless to say I am a big fan. Herb from Primus was their drummer for quite some time before he hit paydirt with that bag o'nuts...

------------------
'62? Fender 400 Pedal Steel, Sierra S8, Oahu Lap, bakelite bars

Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

--I've said it on other DL threads & I'll say it again..."David Lindley is why I play lap steel today".--

Funny, I think I've said the same thing! I was first smitten by Running on Empty.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

For me it was "Redneck Friend" that got me saying "What is that?" I have three Ricks from the 30's what a great sound! I talked to David before a Jackson Browne concert in 1980 and showed him a picture of my five Ricks, one a Spanish that he had interest in. I told him I had traded it and he called me a F*****. Thats my clame to fame. It was all in fun. Daves the best.

Russ
Brian Herder

Post by Brian Herder »

I emailed DL about his regular guitar (not slide) tone on that record..recieved a very quick response-a modified tweed deluxe (don't know which year) and a modified old Tele with a Melody Maker PU and a 50s Gibson alnico PU. Like Duane Allman, his slide playing seems to overshadow his regular playing, which is unfortunate..sorry, didn't mean to get off the topic.
Paul Honeycutt

Post by Paul Honeycutt »

Is Major Lingo still around? Do they still have the female bass player? I used to see them in Tucson in the '80's.

Back to David Lindley, I know he used a Deluxe that had been recovered in snake skin before he started using Dumbles. I saw El Rayo-X once and couldn't believe how good he was. He's a lot of fun with his duo, too, but I miss the electric band.
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

Ive seen Lindley play live twice now. looks like he uses fingerpicks. it's hard to tewll, even live, because his hands move like fast dancing spiders all the time.
total control of note and rythm. my hero.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Major Lingo is still around, they have had a few personnel changes but I think the girl bassist is back. David Lindley does use fingerpicks, 3 and a thumbpick.
Richard Couch

Post by Richard Couch »

Since 1971 my goal has been to play with 1/10th the conviction of Mr. Dave. I'm 50 now and I figure if I keep woodshedding I might be there in another 25 years...