Steelguitar and fiddle players How many on here?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

I play both but my steel playing surpasses my fiddle playing. On fiddle I am rusty. Larry Behm, you shouldn't cuss like that on the forum. I run my Fender fiddle thru the dry side of my Twin.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

I've played fiddle and clawhammer banjo for years, but haven't played much in the last 3-4 years. I'm particularly interested in regional southern fiddle styles, which can be extremely different from place to place.
Tim Rowley

Post by Tim Rowley »

I don't, but FWIW I have a couple of kinda well-known friends who play both steel and fiddle:

Ollie Strong from Ontario

Bobby Randall from Nashville, formerly with Sawyer Brown<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tim Rowley on 16 January 2002 at 08:25 PM.]</p></FONT>
MARK GILES

Post by MARK GILES »

I play both steel and fiddle.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I play steel guitar and fiddle around. Does that count? Image
Erv
Richard Shelley

Post by Richard Shelley »

I've played guitar since I was a kid, but only in my fifties have I taken up mandolin, violin, harmonica & most lately the pedal-steel. Maybe when I finally retire I'll have enough time to devote to them all.
jolynyk

Post by jolynyk »

I am also a fiddle player & play steel .. At times I was the only lead instrument in our band, & being able to switch from steel to fiddle & back again was a challenge to say the least... that is until I saw a post by a fine gentleman by the name of Milton Guilbeau from Louisianna who graciously consented to forward me his own invention & plans for a fiddle rack. This rack mounts on the peg end of the steel in the same manner as the pedal board.. the fiddle has a rest upon which it sits & the bow hangs on a trigger switch.. the steel & fiddle both plug into a box that is activated by the bow switch.. the minute you hang up the bow the volume to the steel is activated & when you lift the bow the volume to the steel is shut off & the fiddle volume is active.. I can switch from one instrument to the other in seconds.. Thank you Milton for sharing the rack with me and making playing both instruments so much easier.. & thank you for the blueprints.. If any body would like to get these plans please post here & I would get in touch with Milton & get his permission to post his name & e-mail address.
The rack is relatively easy to build and assemble .. Johnny Olynyk
Mylos Sonka

Post by Mylos Sonka »

I double on fiddle in my WS band, jsut to get the twin fiddle effects.

I would very much like to see the plans for your fiddle/steel setup. It sounds very ingenious.

Right now I am using a two-fingered plastic-coated hook that holds the fiddle by the headstock and a cardboard mailing tube for a bow quiver. I use a Session 2000 with a fiddle patch all pre-tweaked and as it is next to the bow frog I throw a 3-way switch as I grab for the bow, which switches the Amp In to fiddle and punch a button on the remote Unit to go into the fidle patch. the volume pedal controls both fiddle and steel. It is adequate, but I sure would like to rig up something a bit faster.

Mylos
Milton Guilbeau

Post by Milton Guilbeau »

Mylos, I will email a couple of drawings and pictures to you in a couple of days.

Good luck.

------------------
"One never retires from music, any more than one retires from breathing."
jolynyk

Post by jolynyk »

Mylos, I see where Milton has replied.. I am in South Texas for the winter & we are living in our 5th wheel trailer, & I think the plans are back home . I will search the areas that they may be in , & I will e-mail them to you as soon as I can locate them... You will be very happy with this fiddle rack.. Johnny