Steelguitar and fiddle players How many on here?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Robert Rogers

Steelguitar and fiddle players How many on here?

Post by Robert Rogers »

I play fiddle and steel guitar.Anybody else?

Robert Rogers

Emmons Lashley Legrande III
D-10 8&4

------------------
Dave Horch

Post by Dave Horch »

Well... I play steel (a little bit) and my daughter is a fair fiddle player... Does that count?

Seriously, having both talents is unfathomable to me Robert! Which instrument did you take up first? And when in your life did they happen at first?

Best, -Dave

------------------
Mullen (See! No "S") D-10 <font size=-1>
<a href=http://www.davidhorch.com/music>Photo page</a> </font>

Robert Rogers

Post by Robert Rogers »

Dave,
I started playing fiddle when I was 11 and steel when I was 14.By the way the steel I learned on was my dads 1974 Emmons push-pull D-10 with 8 pedals and 5 knee levers.Thanks for asking.

Robert Rogers

D-10 8&4
John Gretzinger

Post by John Gretzinger »

Robert -

I've played a bunch of insturments but the one that beat me was the fiddle. After taking lessons for a couple of years from one of the best fiddle players in Austin, Tx, it finally sounded like the cat whose tail I was stepping on finally got in tune.

My hat's off to anyone who can play one of those wonderful things.

jdg

------------------
MSA D-10 w/Nashville 400
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer

Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

Years ago I played mandolin and I was told by several people that anyone who could play a mandolin could also play a fiddle, so I bought a fiddle......they lied! www.genejones.com
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

I do. We once had 3 fiddles in my band, we did a couple of show stoppers, I loved it.

I also play 5 sting banjo, dobro, and a small of amount of mandolin and guitar.

Some feel you should stick to just one, but I love playing banjo and dobro in the bluegrass setting.

Larry Behm
Bill Crook

Post by Bill Crook »

Robert....

We have missed you at the NTSGA meetin's lately. Didn't catch you at the January "Superjam" either. Hope you haven't been sick or something.

I tried the fiddle a couple of times but haven't been able to really get the hang of it. The piano and the fiddle are two axes's I would like to be more adapt with. Eventho I have both instruments in my home,they still evade me.

Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

I play fiddle with a Zeta pick-up system through a Peavey Ecoustic 112. It kicks royal butt. I don't think fiddle is any wheres near as difficult as the steel guitar. People tell me I'm "real good". Boy, have I got 'em fooled. Cotton Eyed Joe goes a long way! Then theres Byron Berline. A real fiddler and my favorite. I also play a mandolin with Fishman bridge pick-up. A cheap Fender that sounds like a thousand dollar mandolin. Again, much easier than the steel. My next instrument is going to be honky tonk piano.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 14 January 2002 at 07:50 AM.]</p></FONT>
gene brown

Post by gene brown »

I play fiddle,and I am learning to play steel.I have a Barcus Berry mid 60's electric,and a Polytone amp. My steel is a Mullen Royal Precision 8/7,and I use a Peavy Nashville 400 amp.
Robert Rogers

Post by Robert Rogers »

Gene,
I LOVE OLD BARCUS-BERRY FIDDLES.Especialy the blue ones.Please E-mail me some pics of it I have a copy of a the blue ones.
Take care,
Robert Rogers

D-10 8&4
Robert Rogers

Post by Robert Rogers »

I meant I have a copy of the blue ones.Its cobalt blue metallic.I paint them myself and put the choice of pick-ups in them.Cool huh?
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

I play steel, guitar, fiddle, some other stuff.

Jim Phelps
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 17 November 2004 at 06:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

I play steel, guitar, mandolin, bass, and a little fiddle. Not ready for my fiddling debut at the local dive, though.

Drew Howard

------------------
www.newslinkassociates.com
www.drewhoward.com

Rob van Duuren

Post by Rob van Duuren »

does fiddle refer to a style of playing or a certain instrument? just curious,rob.
John Bresler

Post by John Bresler »

Dick Meis, here in Denver, plays both. He also can switch between steel and lead guitar without missing a beat.

Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

I play fiddle as well as non-pedal steel. In my opinion, the two instruments have a lot in common: the player often thinks in terms of single note lines or double-stops, both can "sing," both are fretless and both have a lot of sustain.

Ziggie

Post by Ziggie »

I've been playing fiddle for about 8 years. I got the Cajun bug really bad when I was gigging in Louisiana a few years back so now I have a Cajun and Zydeco band in up here in the north country. Most of my fiddle playing is Cajun French music but I'm starting to play in an acoustic country (almost bluegrass) band and that also gives my a lot of room for dobro also. I use E13 though for my dobro. I find I can get a lot more out of it then G. Plus I love swing sounds and E13 works well for that. The fiddle was a challange and still is but I also had to learn how to sing in Cajun French and learn the Cajun accordion at the same time. I''ve been on the steel off and on for a lot of years. I guess I qualify for being the weirdest guy on the forum eh? The scary part is that it's all true! I'm haveing a great time with it also. This is a great forum I might add and I've learned a lot from all you guys. Where else can you steel so much and get away with it! Ziggie
Jelle Biel

Post by Jelle Biel »

I know BOBBY FLORES ""they"" answer NOW to the hero,s Johnny Gimble& Tommy Jackson ao on CD,s Justin Trevino and Dougg Collins and Frenchie Burke,s when it comes on Fiddle!
Also LeadGuitar you can compare the level ao Bobby Caldwell, Graddy Martin and leon Rhodes in there BEST DAYS,,,,,oh YES he playes very GOOD steelguitar to( i never did hear him play)i heard from JIM LOESSBERG the fantastic producer/steelplayer from this
GREAT TEXAS STYLE MUSIC.
THANKS for THAT
Jelle
Rob van Duuren

Post by Rob van Duuren »

Jeff Lampert

Post by Jeff Lampert »

<SMALL>I guess I qualify for being the weirdest guy on the forum eh?</SMALL>
There's a long line there. You'll have to wait your turn!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jeff Lampert on 15 January 2002 at 10:33 AM.]</p></FONT>
jlsmith48

Post by jlsmith48 »

I don,t play fiddle, but in my next life I will,so I won't have so much equipment to carry around.
Ziggie

Post by Ziggie »

Hey Jeff, does that mean I have to pick a number? Ziggie
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I played fiddle in our group in the late 70's & early 80's when the "Urban Cowboy" thing got so big. I never was real "HOT" but played enough to make it dangerous! I still have the "Imron" red metallic fiddle I had painted & pin striped with the Barcus Berry!
Rob yes, fiddle refers to a "playing style" vs. an instrument. You could take the sweetest sounding violin and put it in the hands of a fiddler and............lookout!
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

My name's Roger, and I've just bought a banjo......

------------------
Roger Rettig
Emmons LGIII(S10/D10)& MCI D10

Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

I'm not a banjo player but I can play a couple of things on it, and I was tempted to do so on the show I worked last summer. I declined when I remembered that Byron Berline's band was working right across the street from us. www.genejones.com