Favorite Instrumental (Gospel)

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

billy tam

Post by billy tam »

I once had an 8-track by Jimmy Day that was all gospel. His version of Precious Memories made the hair on my neck stand up, chills up and down my back, the whole 9 yards. Does anyone know if it is available in cd form?
thanks
billy tam
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

A few years ago I worked up an arrangement of "Daystar". It and "What a Friend" have become the two Gospel songs that I enjoy playing most. "Daystar" is a great steel instrumental, if you know the song, try it.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Daystar is a beautiful song! Never thought of it as an instrumental. I played with a group that sung this song and I filled the choruses. Lots of room for pretty! I'll try it!
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Did you know that "I'll Fly Away" was written by Albert E. Brumley, father of the great steel guitarist Tom Brumley?
Kenny Yates

Post by Kenny Yates »

Farther along is very beautiful and can be played very soulful or up tempo and it's beautiful either way.
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

"I'll Fly Away" is a favorite instrumental written by Albert E. Brumley. He has a steel playing son you may know!
RON PRESTON

Post by RON PRESTON »

Reggie, do you know just how many Mr. Brumley wrote thru the years?....That fellow wrote many, many beutiful gospel tunes. Just take a hymn book and look in the index, and check out how many you will find written by the Great Mr. Brumley. Image
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

MORE THAN A THOUSAND!!!!!!
Fred Murphy

Post by Fred Murphy »

Ten Thousand Years, by Herby Wallace. Favorite vocal and steel is Angel Band,by the Goodmans and George Jones, with the great John Hughey. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Fred Murphy on 20 January 2002 at 09:06 AM.]</p></FONT>
Allan Thompson

Post by Allan Thompson »

There`s loads of great gospel stuff on the go but the one that has become my favourite is Mike Sweeney`s Jesus Loves Me.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

My band probably closes most of our shows with our version of "Are You Washed in the Blood of the Lamb". Our steel player and myself do a call and response thing on the bridge and also some twin things on it. I love that old song. Also when I'm playing steel I like to do "The Old Rugged Cross" or "Jesus Savior, Pilot Me".

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

wayne yakes md

Post by wayne yakes md »

1. Chuck Lettes's "Ave Maria"
2. Neil Flanz's "Southern Sunday"