Favorite Instrumental (Gospel)

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Reggie Duncan

Favorite Instrumental (Gospel)

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Gospel Music has always been a favorite type of instrumental music. The emotion of those types of songs translates well on my favorite instrument, the Emmons P/P.....I mean the pedal steel guitar! If you play or enjoy this type of playing, what is your favorite song? I think "Amazing Grace" would have to be my favorite. Lloyd Green's recording of this song on the "Ten Shades of Green" album has burned in my mind since the first time I heard it.
Bob Carlson

Post by Bob Carlson »

I also feel the steel and gospel music go well togather. I like all of the old one's and would have a hard time picking one.

Lloyd and Tommy have two on there recent video but i can't remember which one's, but they both are fine. But then the whole video is fine....and you see enough to learn from it also.

BC.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 22 December 2001 at 08:06 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

My favorite is Doug Jernigan's "Surely the Presence". Beautiful.
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Doug Jernigan is incredible! His rendition of "Sweet Spirit" is wonderful as is "Surely the Presence". You can feel it!
Tim Rowley

Post by Tim Rowley »

Probably about my favorite is Buddy Emmons' version of "When They Ring Those Golden Bells". That was one of the songs my mother used to love so much. Buddy also did this as part of his instrumental "Sunday in Dixie" on the old Starday album "Stars of the Steel Guitar".

Tonight on the Opry the Whites did one of their well-known gospel songs. I tuned in during the middle of the song, so I don't know if it was Steve Wilkerson or Tommy White on steel (sounded like Wilkerson), but the classic E9th solo he pulled off was as good as any I've ever heard on a gospel number.

Someday I intend to work up and record several old hymns on the steel. One I intend to do is "Beautiful Isle of Somewhere". That song is made for E9th.

Happy Holidays!

Tim R.
Jack Shults

Post by Jack Shults »

It is really hard to pick just one. Those that have been mentioned are all great, but I suppose if I had to pick just one it would have to be What A Friend We Have In Jesus. Everybody plays that song and all play it a little differently than the other, but I have yet to hear a rendition of it that I didn't like.

Besides that; He IS my friend. Image

------------------
Jack Shults
MSA U-12
Leon Roberts

Post by Leon Roberts »

I'll have to go along with Jim and Reggie. Doug Jernigan's "Surely the Presence" never fails to move Me. It has to be my favorite. During Sunday morning services at the Atlanta Steel Guitar Show,Doug played "Have a little talk with Jesus". Once again, I had to fetch my hat from the creek. Doug played it straight the first time, then He went into his "Chicken Picking". I had to give Doug a big AMEN when He finished.

Leon <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Leon Roberts on 23 December 2001 at 08:19 AM.]</p></FONT>
slick

Post by slick »

Precious memories

Wayne
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

I've always had fond memories of the Jeff Newman Gospel Course. I don't think there was a B cut in any of it.

Regards, Paul
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

"Softly & Tenderly" is my favorite on steel.
Lot's of room for some emotional playing.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

I'll Fly Away.
Jerry Wright

Post by Jerry Wright »

Shelterd in the Arms of God Has to rank on top for me. He Touch me is another.

------------------
www.secgen.net

Jeff Lampert

Post by Jeff Lampert »

LG's Amazing Grace.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

My favorite to play is "Down From His Glory". I worked up an arrangement for E9th a few years ago and I really enjoy playing it. I also have a good BIAB backup for it that I like to use along with it. There are at least 3 references to "Praising the Lord on an instrument of 10 strings" in the Psalms.
It varies with the translations but they are
Psalm 33:2, Psalm 92:3 and Psalm 144:9. No wonder gospel music sounds so good on the steel. Especially a D10, it has to sound twice as good!(20 strings)
Erv
Red Kilby

Post by Red Kilby »

If you really want to hear and awsome CD with my all time favorite gospel steel song,get Ron Elliott's CD"Peace in the Valley" its top notch,and the best cut is "The Lord's Prayer"<<<<<<<<<. Great stuff.
Steven Knapper

Post by Steven Knapper »

How about "In the Garden"??? This would make a good steel song --- I come to the garden alone, with the dew still on the roses----and the voice I hear falling on my ear----etc.
Vernon Hester

Post by Vernon Hester »

I have just finished Precious Lord for a friends funeral a 100 miles away works great on both necks,Now I will let them chose the version and make a master tape
Vern
Kobus Meiring

Post by Kobus Meiring »

Reggie Thanks for the nice e-mail. Your version of "White Christmas" is superb. Very beautiful and soulful. About my favorite Gospel song. It would be Doug Jernigan's versions of "What a friend" and "In the Garden". And yes, the two Gospel songs on Lloyd and Tommy's video are inspiring. They played "In the Garden" too, and a wonderful version of "Softly and Tenderly". The latter gospel song has always had a special place in my life, because it speaks to the heart - it is a song I have known since I was little, and on the steel, it talks to us in many ways. And then there is Junior Knight's version of "Old rugged Cross" too.....I guess there are so many beautiful steel gospel instrumentals, that it would be so difficult to name one, because every player that plays Gospel on his steel, I believe is inspired to do so, and does it for HIM.
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

Steven....if you like "In The Garden" you should hear it on John Hughey's new gospel CD, "He Touched Me". Most of the others mentioned above are on there also.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 25 December 2001 at 05:32 AM.]</p></FONT>
Michael Garnett

Post by Michael Garnett »

I've got an old Merle and Willie Gospel album, and I never heard anything more moving than "The Old Rugged Cross" where Merle just quits singing and talks about his "Momma" in between the first verse and final refrain. I think it's great, because it's sortof a sermon and a hymn all wrapped into one, with the steel and rhythm section playing the whole time.

Garnett

------------------
"The New Guy"
Carter D-10
Nashville 400
----------------------

Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Reggie...Ron Elliott's "Peace In The Valley" & "The Lord's Prayer". Ron has a special touch on everything he does, but he is unmatched on the feeling he has for spirtual songs. I've never seen him do a show without including some patriotic and spiritual music. He's on page one in my book!
Roger<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Roger Crawford on 26 December 2001 at 05:22 PM.]</p></FONT>
Steve Kritz

Post by Steve Kritz »

Wow,there's alot of great gospel music done on steel out there,but my wonderful wife got me "AT THE FEET OF GOD" done by Bobbe Seymour.As usual,the guy burns the pedals up.Ten great cuts,beautiful phrasing and just one great CD to have."FAMILY BIBLE"is my favorite.
wayne yakes md

Post by wayne yakes md »

1. "Ave Maria"--Chuck Lettes
2. "When They Ring Them Golden Bells"--Jimmy Day
3. "When They Ring Them Golden Bells"--Neil Flanz
4. "Southern Sunday"--Neil Flanz
5. "Southern Sunday"--Pete Drake
RON PRESTON

Post by RON PRESTON »

I have always loved to play "I'll RISE AGAIN" that Dallas Holms cut several years ago. Image
Bill Nauman

Post by Bill Nauman »

How Great Thou Art does it for me..Ron Elliot does a great job of it too Bill in Vegas