Did/do you have a teacher?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill C. Buntin

Post by Bill C. Buntin »

Reece Anderson, then others by tape and book.
If you are having trouble at ANY level of playing, Reece is the man to get you straightened out. You guys outside of the North Texas area, It is worth the trip down here to take a lesson or two from Reece.
Steven Knapper

Post by Steven Knapper »

I must agree whole heartedly with Raymon. That is where I can find fault with a lot of so called 30 buck an hour teachers. If you do not have a grounding in Harmony 101, you have to be taught, like me, along with learning what your guitar does, how and why. You have to understand the neck, oh you can learn riffs and lick up and down the neck, but if you don't understand WHY the guitar works like it does --- it a waste of time. Not bragging (well maybe) but right now after a year with someone who REALLY knows how to teach, has his own system, teaches the guitar and neck, I can almost sight read from a melody line and play. The very worst is that I have to sit down and write it out first. This is just my opinion from a guy that had drum lessons as a kid, changed to guitar at 12 or so, learned by ear and never really knew what I was doing, except I had a very good ear. Now I have a guitar that I really know how to play, even with sheet music. FWIW
Steve
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

The 2 teachers that I have learned the most from have been Buddy Charleton and Joe Wright. Fats Kaplan and Gib Wharton got me started on the right foot when they were around. I try to pick up what I can whenever possible.

After playing out a bit I decided to study classical composition at a music conservatory and apply that to my steel playing. It helped me to get at some of the music that was waiting for me.

Bob<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 26 December 2001 at 08:43 AM.]</p></FONT>
Pat Burns

Post by Pat Burns »

..Steve, it is not necessary that all other teachers be bad in order for your teacher to be good..
Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

Mr.Jones..as to your question whether Denny and Kenny Mathis are related...as best as I can recall the answer is no.I once asked Denny if anyone else in his family was musically inclined and he said he had a sister that did not play any instrument.....Denny has enough talent for 5 people.Great steel player and jazz guitar player!!
Steven Knapper

Post by Steven Knapper »

Pat, was not putting down other teachers, just the way that they teach sometimes. Some are better than others, but it was NOT a put down of all people who teach, which will include ME someday.
Steve
Pat Burns

Post by Pat Burns »

..s'alright..Merry Christmas, Steve... Image
Steven Knapper

Post by Steven Knapper »

Back at ya Pat. S.
Dave Diehl

Post by Dave Diehl »

I have been fortunate enough to have two of the best, Jeff Newman and Buddy Charlton as personal mentors. I struggled for years until I finally decided I wanted to do it right but could not do it alone. Both have and continue to make a tremendous difference in my playing. There are many good players out there willing to teach and I truly believe any of them can make a difference.
Larry Miller

Post by Larry Miller »

My one on one teacher is Buck Reid. Buck is a fantastic player, and slowly but surely I hope for just a little bit of his skill and precision to rub off on me! Thanks Buck!
Bill Nauman

Post by Bill Nauman »

Mine was none other than Neil Flanz who is still teaching to some degree. His chord book is great ..originally I purchased a LP which now im sure is available in CD..contact Neil at neilflanz@mindspring.com and tell Neil Bill in Vegas sent ya Happy Holidays
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

I took lessons from Lloyd Nollinger in 1954
using the Eddie Alkire method (E-harp tuning) in Jamestown, New York. The group lesson (5 students) lasted one hour. The
cost was $1.50 per lesson. I haven't played
the tuning in many years but it was a good
way to start. Joe
Lyle Bradford

Post by Lyle Bradford »

Danny Layne got me stared by making me some teaching tapes on cassette. Then we would get together and he would help me one on one.
Sunny Callen

Post by Sunny Callen »

First teacher was Blackie Taylor at the Hawaiian Gardens, Calif. store eons ago, when I bought my used Fender 400 from him. Got away from it over the years, but recently bought a Fender Custom T-8 because I love classic country and have been using the Cashdollar and Remington video instruction tapes - looking for a teacher in the Las Vgeas area but no luck so far.