Anybody know Kenny Trantham?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Phelps

Anybody know Kenny Trantham?

Post by Jim Phelps »

Years ago in Amarillo, TX I knew another steel player named Kenny Trantham, lost track of him and he seems to have pretty much dissappeared. Anyone know anything about him? Thanks.....
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 17 November 2004 at 06:10 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tom Mortensen

Post by Tom Mortensen »

I know Kenny from back in the 70's.
We were both in New Mexico at the time.
I have heard his name recently, possibly that he is in Bakersfield.

------------------
Visit My Website

GaryHoetker

Post by GaryHoetker »

Yes..I have..First met Kenny some time ago when he was playing steel at a Bakersfield eatery. Kenny played a Sierra D10 an was very good. The band included former Buckaroo drummer Jerry Wiggins. Later on, I learned that somebody stole the Sierra and Kenny lost interest.

I called him about 1 1/2 years ago (his # was in the phonebook) to see if he might be interested providing lessons. He thanked me for calling but said no thanks. Haven't heard anything about him for a long time.
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

Thanks for the info, guys; I met Kenny in '77 or '78 when I was playing the Caravan circuit; Amarillo, Colo. Springs, Clovis and Albuquerque. We used to hang around with a band from Billings called the Garrett Brothers, don't know what happened to them either except heard that Jim Bob is now playing with Kenny Chesney...just wonder sometimes "whatever happened to...?" Thanks again.

Jim
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 17 November 2004 at 06:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gerald McGeorge

Post by Gerald McGeorge »

Hello to all. I know this is an old post and I apologize if this has been covered in another thread. Kenny Trantham was a dear friend and former bandmate during my days in southwest New Mexico c. 72 - 74. I am saddened to tell you all that Kenny passed away in Sierra Vista, AZ, May 2002. I knew Kenny when he was in high school and shortly thereafter and have always been proud to have helped him along in his formative years in whatever way I could with his life & music. From his earliest days he had a rough go of it and it all eventually consumed him. He left behind a wife and two beautiful children who I know miss him terribly, as do we all. RIP, Kenny.