Question:Who is you favorite steel player????

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

Bobby Garrett would have to be my all time favorite. Pure sweet sound. Some of the stuff he played on those Live Albums with Hank Thompson was THE best in my opinion.

Rick
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Smiley Roberts picks the break of "love is a bottle of wine" on the "live" album and in Person he amazez me with that ride. But Weldon Myrick did it on the original record and Smiley plays it note for note and as good.

------------------
CJC

Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

The question was "who is your favorite steel Player and what first song or album that they played on that most influenced you"

I named my one player and his album that most influenced me as a musician. Maurice Anderson."Modern Steel Guitar"

We can all name about 100 players. But getting off the original post.....al Image

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 21 November 2001 at 06:31 PM.]</p></FONT>
VERNON PRIDDY

Post by VERNON PRIDDY »

Don't Forget Jimmy Crawford And Bobbe Seymour And There Are Many Others. SONNY.

------------------
SONNYPRIDDY

Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Without a doubt it would have to be Ralph Mooney!!! I first became aware of him on the old Wynn Stewart records which got a lot of airplay in Southern California at that time (late 50's). Also the Buck Owens stuff like: Excuse Me (I think I got a heartache), Under the Influence of Love, etc. and then the early Haggard stuff. Ralph's work on Sing a Sad Song is wonderful. My second favorite would have to be Tom Brumley for all around steel work. His stuff with The Stone Canyon Band was flawless. However with all that said, my favorite album with steel on it would have to be Ray Price's "Nitelife"........Favorite single with steel: "Lost in the Feeling" by Conway Twitty with John Hughey.

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

Cameron Parsons

Post by Cameron Parsons »

Paul Franklin. I enjoy the way he adapts the steel guitar to any genre. I was inspired by his work with Dire Straits.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Cameron Parsons on 22 November 2001 at 02:30 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill C. Buntin

Post by Bill C. Buntin »

Chalker, Reece, Tommy Morrell (Swing and Jazz)
Emmons, Day, Hughey (Country)
Franklin (Contemporary)
Jerry Byrd, Scotty (Hawaiian)
Andy Alford

Post by Andy Alford »

The Great Don Helms Bashful Brother Oswald Little Roy Wiggins Dr.Seymour Johnny Cox Brumley Drake Green and Day
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

My favorite? How about the most recorded steel player ever,The guy that works to make the song sound best,The nicest ,quitetest guy in the industry.A guy that can burn a solo totally up,but won't because it's not important to do so. The tastiest player ever.
Excellent tone(when he's not using that stupid chorus) Who is this guy? Yep, the unsung hero of steel guitar---------------------------Sonny Garrish,My favorite, not the worlds greatest, not the fastest,not the jazziest,not the biggest chords, just my favorite, for what he does for the song!!!!
(other than myself, naturally! ha ha ha!)

Sir R.J. Rumplehauser III

P.S.
I think the thing that I like about this player, is the fact that he's not worried about looking great to other players or what other steel players are thinking, just what makes the song SOUND BEST. We all need to think more about this. Not how hot so and so's lick was on some stars instrumental turn around but how to make the band and everyone in it sound better, a team player,not a solo hot shot. My favorite? You bet,Relaxing and enjoyable!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 22 November 2001 at 10:41 AM.]</p></FONT>
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

PF
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

Bobbe.....I believe you have just written the perfect "job description" for a steel player. Etch it in stone!
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

If they can play, THEY ALL INFLUENCE ME! And I never met a steel player that I could not STEAL something from their technique. I'm done for now. BYE. Image
Derek Duplessie

Post by Derek Duplessie »

Pedal Steel- Jay Dee Maness(California Country)Paul Franklin(Nashville Country)
Kevin Ryan(both + his own distinctive sound)
Lap Steel- George Piburn
-Derek Image
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I've got dozens of favorites, but the guy I heard most, and the guy I envied most was Buddy Charleton. For years, he was the most "visible" player...playing on the Record Shop, doing the Opry, doing personal appearances, and even Tubb's TV show! Plus, he had to step into Buddy Emmons' shoes (no small feat, in itself).

Tubb's album "My Pick Of the Hits" is still my all-time favorite for truly tasteful steel work. The Texas Troubadour's albums are all classics, and I was lucky enough to see them, many times, in person.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

PF & SG
Chris Heinrich

Post by Chris Heinrich »

My favorite players are Mooney, and , more importantly, Mr. Paul Neihaus from Calexico, out of Nashville, because he went out of his way to help my novice a-- in Montreal, and again in Belgium, Id have no A pedal skills if it werent for him. Theres no salvation like help on a lonely road, and Mr Neihaus is such an oasis. Selah. CH
Mike Meese

Post by Mike Meese »

My favorite player/players are always changing with my mood. Right now I'm really blown away by Paul Franklin on George Strait's latest CD. The last song on the CD is a tune called "My Life's Been Grand" and the steel on that song is the best stuff I've heard lately.
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Tom Stolaski.
I like him even better in Huntsville, Alabama, where I don't have to compete with him for gigs Image

(Welcome aboard, Brum -- I KNEW you were gonna mention Thunderstorm Bob)

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 29 November 2001 at 08:00 AM.]</p></FONT>
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

Lloyd Green, Frans Doolaard, Tom Brumley, Doug Jernigan and Buddy Charleton.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud Pro III Custom

gene brown

Post by gene brown »

Hal Rugg,Jimmy Day,Buddy Charlton, Buddy Emmons,Lloyd Green,John Hughey,Ralph Mooney,WEldon Myrick.Bobby Seymore. These are the best,and you can put them in any order you wan't to.
Tim Rowley

Post by Tim Rowley »

I like most all of the pro steelers from Leon McAuliffe to the present time. All of 'em seem to be extra-good at one thing or another, their signature style or whatever. Emmons, Green, and Myrick are probably my three overall favorites. For live unrehearsed shoot-from-the hip playing, I certainly admire Tommy White and Johnny "Dumplin" Cox for their ability to quickly execute an idea and have it come out sounding just right. And I like Pee Wee Rogers' tone.

Tim R.
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

TG Image
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Answer: ME!! Image

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-</pre></font>