Steelers in Chicago or Phoenix area?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Cohen

Steelers in Chicago or Phoenix area?

Post by Jim Cohen »

Will be in Chicago from Nov 7-8, and in Phoenix from Nov 12-15. Any steelers playin' those nights? I'd love to get out and hear somebody. Failing that, maybe we can just hook up for a beer one of those evenings and chat about steel guitar trivia?Lemme know whassup!

------------------
www.jimcohen.com
Rich Harrington

Post by Rich Harrington »

Jim -
Will you be playing in Chi or just passing thru? I'd jump at the chance to hear you play. Even if not I'd like to pick up your CD after the rave reviews it's getting...
I work downtown if you'll be in that area.

Rich Harrington aka duhyeah@msn.com
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Thanks, Rich, but unfortunately I'm just passing through town, not playing. By the way, you can get my CD right here at the Forum. Thanks for your interest!
Jim
Dayton Osland

Post by Dayton Osland »

Hi Jim,

My band, "Sweet Betty", is playing at Durty Nellies on Nov 7 at 9:00 pm. Durty Nellies is at 55 N. Bothwell, Palatine, IL.

I am not a great steel player and steel is featured on only a couple of songs although it is certainly present in all songs. The music is upbeat and foot tapping. It's difficult to classify. There are a lot of country elements thanks to the steel, but there are rock and blues elements as well.

We do mostly originals but will be covering a Judds song and a Dixie Chicks song that night.

If you can make it, you will get a good show.

Download free tickets at www.sweetbetty.com. You can check out a sample of songs at www.mp3.com/sweet_betty.

Thank you

Dayton Osland
Mark Ardito

Post by Mark Ardito »

Jim,

Sorry to tell you the bad news, but most steel gigs in Chicago have dried up.

I play every once in a while with a couple of bands, but most gigs have gone away.

I will not be playing these days...sorry.

Mark

Bob Allen

Post by Bob Allen »

Hi Jim, Again are you just passind Thru Pheonix? or are you playing someplace in town? My Phone #(480)671-3093 Anyone of those days I would enjoy getting with you and meeting you Bob.
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

Jim, Danny Sneed plays full time in Cave Creek and I can give you his phone number for the details, Thanks, Gary
Dayton Osland

Post by Dayton Osland »

Thank You, Jim Cohen.

I was shocked when Jim Cohen came up and introduced himself to me at Durty Nellie's last Wednesday. I know I replied to his question of who's playing but I really didn't expect him to see there.

It really made my night. I don't play anywhere as well as many of you other forumites - especially Jim. However, people always comment about how cool it is to see/hear a pedal steel. As long as people seem to enjoy what I'm doing I'll keep on slugging away.

By the way, we outdrew the other band 116 to 62, so we are still in the competition. If we can hang in to the end, we'll wind up playing at the House of Blues and get some studio time.

Once again, thank you Jim, you really made my night.

Dayton Osland
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Hi Dayton,
It was great to meet you and hear Sweet Betty. Good luck in the competition. I enjoyed hearing you play steel: you played cleanly and with taste; what more can you ask for? Nice job!
Thanks also for the CD; I listened to it in the car on the way back to my hotel and enjoyed it very much. All the best; see ya next time, I hope,
Best,
Jimbeaux

------------------
www.jimcohen.com
Robert

Post by Robert »

Jim:
I know I'm responding a little late - but it's no matter: your visit to Chicago was sandwiched by a couple of shows with steelers that you would have enjoyed, but they're low-profile shows! Fellow Forumite Ed Mooney played Nov. 3 at a place called The Lamp Post at Touhy and Ridge, and my amp tech and buddy "Radar" Hurst holds forth tonight at a VFW in Lincolnwood. He's not only a great steel player, but a monster guitar player, as well. Grew up listening to Les Paul, Merle Travis, Joe Maphis, etc. and you can really hear it when he plays - he does "Last Date" solo, and it'll make you weep! Next time you're in Chicago, post again, and I'll keep my eyes out for you.

Rob Yale