BEWARE Slide Guitar Robots are here!!!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Well, since it appears that teams are being chosen for "color war" Image, I'm going with Gerald's team on this one.

Maybe I don't know enough about theory and relationships (maybe that's why I'm single) but I do know what I enjoy.

I'm open to listening to many, various kinds of music including atonal, experimental, and avante garde. I listen because I like to think I have an open mind. For me, it is a one time concert because I have no desire to listen to it more than once. I just can't get behind it, try as I may.

My last concert of this genre was John Zorn.
I just can't get into it as being enjoyable. It's like drinking a liver milk shake. Maybe it's not supposed to be enjoyable.

Maybe I just don't know much about it. Maybe it just comes down to the most primal, fundamental senses....meat good, woman good, music good...... Image

Perhaps I'll take a listen to the list of music that Bill suggested. I'm open.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by HowardR on 25 March 2005 at 06:17 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

You forgot..

Single Malt Scotch, Good.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

<SMALL>I'm sorry if I insulted anyone with my opinions</SMALL>

If I say anything I'm sorry for, I'm glad of it.... Image
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

.......or,
"If I've said anything to offend you,believe me....." Image Image Image

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com</pre></font>

Dave Horch

Post by Dave Horch »

Didn't Cage do something called Concerto for Violin and Volkswagen? Perhaps someone was pulling my leg? best, -Dave

------------------
Mullen D-10 <font size=-1> - It's still one smooooth puppy!
Photo page: http://www.davidhorch.com/music

Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I don't know about that, but Cage's most famous (infamous) piece was called 4' 33" (four minutes and 33 seconds). It was in 3 movements and was first premiered on the piano. It is completely silent.

Of course actually, it wasn't completely silent in that the piece was the sounds that were going on in the auditorium at the time it is played. Which was the point, to get people to focus on the sounds around them.

I actually had a recording of the piece once.
Dave Horch

Post by Dave Horch »

Bill - I remember that one, heard about it in high school from fellow music students. At the time I thought it was a pretty clever idea. I also wondered how the audience might react if they didn't know what was coming in advance. First, silence, then maybe embarrasment for the performers (something must be wrong), then whispers followed by "shhhh!"'s. Am I close?

------------------
<font size=-1>1995 Mullen D-10 w/ E66 & Mullen pups - It's still one smooooth puppy!
2004 Artisan S-6 - "The Home Depot scrap pile refugee"
Photo page: http://www.davidhorch.com/music<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dave Horch on 27 March 2005 at 05:45 AM.]</p></FONT>
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I'm with Bill and Mike in that I find value in all kinds of music. Some of John Cage's prepared piano works are wonderful as are possibly less accessible 20th century works such as the Bartok string quartets. I have to admit I've got a lot less patience for performance art such as Cage's 4' 33 after having gone to art school in the early 70's. We had to endure sculpture classes where we were treated to "art" happenings such as watching someone beat eggs into merangue by hand for 20 minutes ... "My piece is about your boredom, my arm getting tired, and the texture of merangue." When I got a professor who taught actual technique and aesthetics you could use in real life I hung on like a drowning man.
Mike Ihde

Post by Mike Ihde »

Just for fun, don't forget Professor Peter Schikley (spelling?) and his P.D.Q.Bach series of recordings. Memorable pieces like "Concerto for Horn and Hardart" "The Unbegun Symphony" and Beethoven's Fifth as described by 2 football announcers. Besides being hilarious, it actually makes classical music more accessable to non classical fans.
Nathan Hernandez

Post by Nathan Hernandez »

Damn,,, no I really need to practice!!!
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

I believe it's Peter Schikele.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Peter Schickele is good, too. Image

What's up, How?<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Neer on 03 April 2005 at 08:34 PM.]</p></FONT>
Loni Specter

Post by Loni Specter »

schickele O'Neil?
seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

we've been there, done that Image

The Hupfeld Phonoliszt-Violina's intricate mechanisms reproduce the music of three violins and piano, with near-human expression. The violins are played by 49 mechanical fingers and a rotating circular bow with 1,344 individually-tied strands of horsehair. Mechanisms cause the bow speed and pressure to change automatically, as controlled by perforations in the paper music roll, to provide a wide dynamic range, crescendo and decrescendo, accent, and other musical nuances.

Automatic instruments may never reach the level they once attained in the years before recordings of music were widely available (pre 1925) except as an avant-garde musical experiment like the GuitarBot.

Clearly, it seems the efforts today yield mechanical instruments that perhaps are only suitable for atonal music. (MIDI not included since it's not mechanical).

chris

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"Listen Sooner"
www.book-em-danno.com
www.seldomfed.com

Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

Cabinet drop Chris?

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 04 April 2005 at 01:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

ouch Image

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"Listen Sooner"
www.book-em-danno.com
www.seldomfed.com

David Knutson

Post by David Knutson »

I checked this out. It's one of the coolest useless things I've ever seen! I also went to LEMUR's home page and read some bios....these people are very serious about their art, but they are also SERIOUS technogeeks (and I mean that in a good way). I wouldn't know a byte if it bit me, which may be a disadvantage these days because I figure, at least for a little while, the geek shall inherit the earth.
And meanwhile they give us such cool stuff to gawk at! Image

------------------
David K
www.davidk.biz
Pete Knapton

Post by Pete Knapton »

GuitarBot verses 'Hotel California'(for the 283,941 time!)
Come on guys, there's so much to be said for original and fresh musical thinking. Outside of the square has got to be a healthy place. If for no other reason, one may have a better understanding and perhaps appreciation for convention.
Vote GuitarBot at your next rodeo.
Pete :-)