Mohan Veena

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Keith Cordell

Mohan Veena

Post by Keith Cordell »

I have been reading about these and am about to start considering doing a little liquidation to get one. Anyone tried one, and what are your thoughts? I have heard some work by Harry Manx, and one song by Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, but nothing else. There is a place selling them on Ebay for a reasonable sum, are they decent lookinh guitars? Thanks!!!

------------------
'62? Fender 400 Pedal Steel, Gibson Royaltone, Sierra S8, bakelite bars
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I don't know, but I'd love to hear what you think about it if you get it.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

I've been looking at them for a couple of months, but I am worried that the quality will suck. They are manufactured in India, and that could be good or bad; I have had a few negative experiences buying from the oriental countries and it is a large sum if it is just a glorified Harmony. I tried to find an email for Harry Manx, he has a few that were built for him, but no luck. I wish he belonged to the forum!
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Keith, take a look here, at Indian slide master Debashish Bhattacharya's website. His instruments are in the same style (basically) as the Mohan Veenas.
He also has three different models, from the 24-stringed Chaturagui to the 4-stringed Anandi.

I wouldn't worry about the production being in India, it's not like these has been outsorced by some American or European company to save money on cheap labor, these are original Indian instruments.

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

David Yannuzzi

Post by David Yannuzzi »

Keith ,do you think you could post a link of what company is making them.Thanks- Dave
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Here is the Ebay auction, I don't know for sure who makes them but if they are of reasonable quality then the price is great. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=621&item=3777614504&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V
David Yannuzzi

Post by David Yannuzzi »

They are pretty reasonably priced. Very temping.They look exactly like what Vishwa Mohan Bhatt plays.Debashish's looks like a modified and adapted regular guitar on a video I have. I am still kicking my self for not studing with him when he was teaching in NY a year or two ago. You should check out his stuff with Bob Brozman.
thanks for posting the link.- Dave
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David Yannuzzi on 02 April 2005 at 06:14 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jay Fagerlie

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

I bought an instrument from this seller (orpheus-india) and overall, our transaction was a positive one, he is a responsive seller.
In looking at the pictures of that Veena up for auction, I noticed it has the same tuners as the instrument I purchased. These are not the best quality tuners, they slip, and there is alot of free play. I wouldn't 'not buy' because of the tuners, but you'll probably want to change them once you get it.

Jay
John McGann

Post by John McGann »

that's a lot of tuners to replace, though!

------------------
http://www.johnmcgann.com
Info for musicians, transcribers, technique tips and fun stuff. Joaquin Murphey transcription book, Rhythm Tuneup DVD and more...

Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

That's a couple of hundred dollars worth of tuners. Hmmmmm.
Jay Fagerlie

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

I pretty much have 'gotten used to' the ones on my instrument, however it is frustrating sometimes...but not enough to change them yet...but I would assume on the Veena it might not be able to be 'gotten used to' as easily.
All of the drone strings on the upper side of the fretboard have sharp angles in the strings where they go around the posts that set their place on the neck....look at the pic in the auction...this is a place that the strings like to hang up, and the slippage in the tuning pegs just add to the symptom....I find myself wiggling the string between the tuning post and the 'holding' post while tuning...

I'm not bashing here, just letting people know my expierence...and if I had a little $$$ that I could spend on a new instrument, I could see myself owning one of these...even though I know what to expect...
Jay
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Too bad Harry Manx isn't a forumite; we could get some practical advice on the subject. I think I am going to hold off for a bit, just due to the fact that I can barely afford to get the guitar, and upgrades would be out of my range.
Loni Specter

Post by Loni Specter »

According to Harry Manx the only Mohan Veenas of any quality are the instruments that his teacher makes or has made. There are other similar instruments out there of questionable spotty quality. Mike Johnstone and I have examined Harry's instrument, and although it's nothing fancy, it is a solid well constructed piece. I suppose for the reasonable price of the 'available' veenas, they are a fair deal, and you can always work on them like any guitar. I have not seen any first hand.
Chuck Fisher

Post by Chuck Fisher »

the (same) guy on ebay had 2 different grade instruments available when I corresponded with him, he said H.M. used the nicer one which was not in the ebay pic.

YMMV,
CF
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I met with Debashish a few months back and he told me that his aim was to offer high quality instruments. He sincerely wants to teach the Indian style of steel playing to all who have interest and a number of wetern musicians are studying with him. He has a school in Calcutta but also teaches seminars when he's in the states on tour. You can ask him questions about the instruments at:hindslide@hotmail.com

Info about his UK tour dates and new CD are available here:
http://www.debashishbhattacharya.com/slide_guitar.htm
Richard Couch

Post by Richard Couch »

Keith, we do think alike... I've been looking at those for a while now thinking, what would Lindley do with that?
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Dicky!!! I think he would make me ashamed for ever looking at it...
David Yannuzzi

Post by David Yannuzzi »

Andy,Thanks for the info. I was more interested in something like debashish's guitar. It has 24 strings . I think he keeps all six strings for melodic work instead of 3 to5 which i have seen on other types of these guitars.i think he also has the sympathetic strings on the side of the neck away from you and the drone strings on the side closest to you instead of them all on one side. someone correct me if i am wrong. i wonder how much tension 24 strings would put on a guitar. Did he quote a price range?Thanks Dave
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I don't know the price of any of the Trinity guitars but I did see his personal instrument which was amazing to behold - a godess on the headstock and lots of inlaid flowers; a veritable riot of Indian design. I believe Debashish was the first to put the drone strings (called chitari) on the audience side of the guitar. He does believe in having all 6 main strings vibrating but I don't think he actually uses the bar on more than the top three most of the time.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 04 April 2005 at 03:40 PM.]</p></FONT>