That Dobro Question

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ian Campbell

That Dobro Question

Post by Ian Campbell »

I was trying to search through old posts for info on new Dobros but not finding the ones I wanted. I remember a post where several of the new Dobros [Benoit, Beard, Clinesmith etc] were played and then commented on, thought it was HowardR but perhaps I am wrong. Anyway I am looking to upgrade from my '76 OMI Dobro which has served me well especially after some modifications [Quarterman, new nut and Bridge] but it just does not have enough tone and volume to hold up live against three singers, guitar, upright, fiddle, washboard, banjo. The group I am with will general play around one mic live and I have trouble cutting through unless I step right up for a solo, back up lines get drowned out. A lot of the reso players in traditional bands I have seen manage to cut through even when 4-8 ft from the mic. So suggestions and experiences of finding the right new reso in the $2000-$3000 bracket that can cut through and has ample tone and volume would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

------------------
1931 National Tricone Model 1 1/2 Square Neck; 1937 Rickenbacher B7; 1976 OMI Dobro
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Simple: Beard "Mike Auldridge" Signature model. It will do exactly what you want (lists a little higher than you mentioned $3,500) but WELL WORTH THE PRICE!!

I had the opportunity to play it side by side against a number of the most sought after resos at this years Joe Val and nothing beat the Beard MA.

That being said, the one instrument that stacked up very nicely against it (besides the sheerhorns) was Dick DeNeve's. I know someone selling a DeNeve 8 string at a very good price if you are interested. I haven't heard it but I played my Beard against a DeNeve 6 string and it had the same punch as the Beard at a much more modest cost.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

BTW, I think the article you are refering to was Howard Parker's review which can be found on his site: http://www.resoguit.com/
Orville Johnson

Post by Orville Johnson »

i might suggest Rayco guitars from canada. check their website at www.rayco.ca they just made a maple box for me that sounds great and they're in your price range. the two guys that make them both worked for several years at larivee guitars and, besides sounding good, the craftsmanship and looks are excellent.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

<SMALL>Simple: Beard "Mike Auldridge" Signature model. It will do exactly what you want (lists a little higher than you mentioned $3,500) but WELL WORTH THE PRICE!!</SMALL>
I completely agree. I bought the one he had at the NAMM show and it's wonderful. It got a compliment this morning from a classical composer and the engineer, who stopped by on their way to a mastering session, who said it was the nicest sounding one they had ever heard.

I have it tuned:

E
C#
A
G#
F#
E
C#
B
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Thanks for the Kudo's

We'll have fifteen guitars at the TSGA show (Dallas) later this week...A little bit of everything.

We're bringing Mike Auldridge with us as well. Come by and say hello.

HowardP
For Beard Guitars
R. L. Jones

Post by R. L. Jones »

If you are serious about the best buy in a dobro , you must see the Benoit guitars.Why . Caroll Benoit doesnt make his living doing this . He uses the very best ezotic ,tone woods in his guitars.the best tuners , he builds his guitars one at a time, one of our forum members has bought 7 of these beauties Benoit builds .there is a steel guitar show at the Dallas area. these guitars will be on display there

R.L.Jones
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

How can an 8 string go "toe to toe" with a 6 string?

Ron
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Hi kiddies.... Image

I'm in Dallas now. Both Benoit & Beard will set up their booths today. This will be resophonia madness, or heaven actually. I'll post a new topic on this event and detail my opinions.

Ouite honestly, these are two fantastic luthiers and I imagine each instrument, even the same models, will have their own tonal characteristics and qualities. It's a matter of personal preference, but, this will be both interesting and exciting.

Eight stringers and six stringers are two different animals.
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

All very good suggestions so far!
I would add The Tut Taylor "Virginian"
to the list to check out before you buy if you like the "old timey" sound/ volume.

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII, Pro III custom,
Fender Steelking,Hilton pedal,Tut Taylor "Virginian"

chas smith

Post by chas smith »

<SMALL>How can an 8 string go "toe to toe" with a 6 string?</SMALL>
It can't, as far as the best tone is concerned. I have a Beard mahogony 6-string, also, and it has a better tone than the 8, but not by much. Where the 6 string can't go "toe to toe" is those two extra strings ...
Larry Phleger

Post by Larry Phleger »

Why not just get your own mike? Work in and out according to what you are playing.
Larry
Alan Rudd

Post by Alan Rudd »

May I suggest the Schoonover resophonic out of Oklahoma? Contact Kent Schoonover in Lone Grove, OK. @ 580/657-4117.
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

For just playing in a jam session, no mikes, my Bobby Wolfe resophonic is loud enough to be heard over the LOUD banjo. However, a good group practices dynamics, where the rest of the players soften up in order to feature the singer or instrument that is soloing.

The best resophonic for me on the stage is the Tut Taylor Virginian and miked through a good condensor mike like my AKG 1000 CS.

Also, it has been my experience as well as others that the resophonic guitars tend to 'loosen up' and become louder the more they are played.

You will always fight the geometry of the sound projection - the dobro sends the sound up, while the guitars, banjos, and mandolins (and singers) project the sound out towards the listener.

Good luck.

Jim

Bill Pastuch

Post by Bill Pastuch »

Get yourself a quilted mahogany R-body from Frank Harlow with Fossil Walrus Ivory bridge inserts and nut and you'll be the big dog on the porch with this baby.