emmons lap steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

kirk allred

emmons lap steel

Post by kirk allred »

I recently completed an Emmons 8 string lap steel from parts lying around the Emmons guitar factory.The body is solid mahoghany and has incredible resonance and sustain.These lap steels were avalible in a 1970's Emmons catalog.I don't know how many or if any were produced.Does anyone out there have one of these guitars?
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Hey Kirk. I've got a picture of a catalog with one of those in it. Cool that you built that. Did you try to make it a reproduction of the earlier model or did you just build a nice axe?
kirk allred

Post by kirk allred »

jon,yes i built a reproduction of that guitar just like in the catalog.have you ever seen one other than in a catalog?<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by kirk allred on 05 December 2000 at 06:40 PM.]</p></FONT>
Cliff Swanson

Post by Cliff Swanson »

Got a picture?

Cat
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

I actually own an 8-string Emmons. You can't beat those atomic fret markers. Anyone know how many of these were made? Any collector's value?
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I bought a 10 string non-pedal from a guy in Georgia who made it himself using a block of hard rock maple and Emmons hardware. It has a Bill Lawrence double blade pickup.
I had a guy named Mike Black paint it blue and put 4 legs on it (yes Jon, the same Mike Black you got your Ric' from).
There is a dead spot in volume knob but besides that it is O.K. It has a volume knob and a tone knob. I was thinking of just bypassing them though. I haven't gigged with it but use it to practice 10 string B6th stuff. It's tuned the same as strings 1-10 of my S12U. It has an old fender fretboard on it. I don't play it much so if anyone is interested let me know.
-pb
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

Yes I bought one new from the emmons factory. The catalog shoiwed a toilet seat finish which looked very pretty and I was highly disappointed when it came with a mahagany body. I was pleasently surprised however when I plugged into my old standel amp. The tone was beautiful and still is today. It cost direct from the factory the outlandish price of $110, 8 strg and plush lined case.

------------------
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

I'd return it if I were you!

------------------
kirk allred

Post by kirk allred »

have you ever heard one of these lap steels howard? if you had you would not want to return it. it sounds great through my '61 ampeg reverberocket!

------------------
K.A.

HOWaiian

Post by HOWaiian »

hey, C.C.!

I'll give ya $59.95 American fer yers! [but you gotta pay fer shipping Image ]
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

If you would have offered that sooner you may have caught me in a weak moment. I played it dec 1st at a gig in Richland Sprgs, Tx; I was too lazy to pick up the Excel dbl 8 and I played it through my Peavy LTD. It sounded so great I believe I'll hang on to it a while. Keep your thumb pick hot! BTW, Jerry has completed his biog book and as soon as he can find a publisher he will let me know and I will put it on the forum.

------------------
kirk allred

Post by kirk allred »

A toilet seat finish?!! If that's brown,I'd guess you got that toilet seat finish!!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by kirk allred on 05 December 2000 at 09:55 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

To venture a straight answer about the marketability of your project, Kirk--first of all, would it bear an Emmons logo? Face it, the exact same guitars, one with, one without the tag would generate different levels of interest.
I wonder how many high end lap steels the market can sustain. Between a pretty heated up market for the vintage stuff and the production of some very well regarded steels by Sierra, Melobar, West Coast Steels (that have just come to my attention), and, of course, the SS Hawaiian, I wonder how you would fare?
If you go with the Emmons name, though, and assuming that the guitar is excellent, you would sure get noticed.

BTW--if you're not familiar with the term, MOTS--Mother-Of-Toilet-Seat--it's that fake mother-of-pearlish finish you see on all the old lap steels.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jon Light on 05 December 2000 at 09:59 PM.]</p></FONT>
kirk allred

Post by kirk allred »

just joking about the toilet seat,but yeah I can make a great lap steel Email me!
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

CC Could you post a picture of this Emmons lap Steel Guitar please. Brian
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

tb I would be happy to do it but I don't have enough smart. Email me your snail and I'll send you a puic by return mail. CC
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

CC Thank you. Please check your email. regards, tb
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

CC Thank you for the pictures in the mail. That guitar is awesome looking. I already have an emmons fretboard, a keyhead a pick up and bridge. I have a block of maple on order. Could you do me one big favor and give me the measurements. I just have to have one of these. Regards, brian
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

LOA 33.5 wide 5 depth 1.5 neckdepth 6/8" 24"scale neck 31/4" wide This guitar is from one block of wood with the neck routed out as well as the key head. The nut and the bridge are in routed out grooves about2/8" deep. I believe the one block of wood, the hard steel nut and bridge recessed into the wood gives this guitar its sound. Ray is going to post the pics you have to include the Rick and the Dickerson. Good luck on toyr project. CC
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

Pete, unfortunately the quality control on these was lacking. You either got a pile of junk or a fine guitar. I know of 16 guys who have or had these and only 3 of them were good. I have one of the good ones and I was offered $600 for it last yr. CC
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Hi cc,

Thank you for the dimensions. I have a block of maple on the way, also I have an emmons fretboard and a bill lawrence xr 16 pick up. I am getting a key head from EdNaylor and a real neat bridge thing from Chet Wilcox. I intend to make a reproduction and will do the maple with a clear laquer. Is that emmons label on yors a stick on one or is it raised plastic? regards, Brian.
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

The Emmons is a decal. Bobbie Seymour may have these. They were on some of the old Emmons Ped steels. CC
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

CC What tuning do you use on yours?
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Here is a fine looking mahagony Emmons body, and the guy has basic hardware from it as well. Too pricey for my project, and 3 days left to bid close, if anyone is interested. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7302595673&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
Charlie
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

CC I your emmons lap steel tuned to c6 or e9th??