my new black rajah

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ron Victoria

my new black rajah

Post by Ron Victoria »

I got my new black rajah today. I can't say enough about it except I wish I had ordered it a few years ago. Besides the way it glides along, I feel more at ease that it will stay put in my hand over the metal bar. Hey, can this be considered an endorsement? Maybe Chuck will send me a free one, LOL

Ron
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

What are the dimensions?

------------------
Fender Stringmaster T8, Carter D-10, 54' Fender Champion, two Oahu laps, two National laps, and two Resonators

George Manno

Post by George Manno »

I hope you have better luck than I have had in the past. I just sent my second blacky back because after two weeks the coating started to flake off.
They are quick to replace them , but it is still a pain.
I'm using the new Robert Randolph RR2 model until the new rajah arrives.
Ron Victoria

Post by Ron Victoria »

7/8 X 3.25
Rich Weiss

Post by Rich Weiss »

I have a black Phoenix. Is that the same thing?
basilh

Post by basilh »

Be carefull of the ADVERTISED dimentions..they're NOT accurate..I know, I bought a couple..
BTW I DID find Chuck most cooperative.

The 7/8" x 3.35" Black Rajah was actually 0.915" Dia.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by basilh on 25 February 2005 at 08:32 PM.]</p></FONT>
George Manno

Post by George Manno »

I wasn't slamming Chuck, or his way of conducting business. My concerns are strictly with the flaws in the product.
Its like the "blue plate" special when you're on the road. That meatloaf sure tastes good going dowm, but ofter times a few hours later, you wish you would have had soup.
My black rajah bars are great when they first come in the mail, the problem comes after they are used for awhile.
I know what you're thinking, I should have had soup.
Ron Victoria

Post by Ron Victoria »

I use nickel strings so I should be ok from what you posted. When I use the chrome bar, I switch back after a few minutes. If it lasts a year, still worth it.
Ron
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

I've never had anything but great service from Chuck ...

He readily replaces any that get worn thru ... for just the cost of shipping ...

As far as longevity ... when he first developed the Black Phoenix ... he sent me a prototype ... Its still goin strong ... and that was a couple years ago ...

And I'm pretty aggressive in the vibrato department ... Image Image

My only wish ... is that he'd do a couple of my "flatties" with the powder Image Image

------------------
<font size=1> Aiello's House of Gauss</font>

<font size=1>
My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield</font>

Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

I have been using the Red Rajah and Black Phoenix on and off for the last three years. I switch between these, a Jim Burden hard chrome and a Shubb SP-2 depending on the song, instrument and my mood.

Chuck has always been a straight shooter with me, quickly replacing bars that were worn or chipped. No questions asked, no hassle, quick replacement (within a few days) for just the cost of shipping.

It would be nice if the Rajahs and Phoenix coatings lasted forever, but they don't. Chuck's replacement policy is the best alternative.

What I really want is a zirconium bar like L T Zinn and Bill Stafford use. That seems the ultimate to me. The sound and feel of the Rajah/Phoenix, the durability of chrome.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 25 February 2005 at 05:52 AM.]</p></FONT>
basilh

Post by basilh »

I haven't been able to use the steel yet to evaluate it's longevity..as I said BEWARE of the size specified.

The 7/8" x 3.35" Black Rajah that I got was actually 0.915" Dia. I think 7/8" is 0.875" so it's almost 1/16th out..
I don't think we would expect this amount of discrepancy in our other ancilliaries like strings etc..

Maybe it doesn't matter to some that the size is different, but I'm used to specific sizes for 10 string and 8 string..
Just too set in my ways and MUCH too old to change..!!
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

That's only 0.040" difference. The bar is probably made from standard 7/8" stock and the powder coating is 0.020" thick. I use one of these bars and have never noticed any difference when switching back and forth with my other bars.
basilh

Post by basilh »

Jim .. if what you say is correct, then why advertise it as 7/8" Diameter ? <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by basilh on 25 February 2005 at 08:33 PM.]</p></FONT>
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

1/25" (0.04") is probably the thickness of the powder coating.

I experimented with one that wore thru ... a tapered 3/4" Red Rajah ...

I was gonna send some stuff off to be TDC treated (Thin Dense Chromium) ...

So I decided to buff off the remaining red powder ... I didn't wanna sand it.

I was really surprised how thick it was ... it took guite a while to buff it off with a sisal wheel and emery compound.

The steel bar underneath was very nice ... so I buffed/polished it up really shiny ... and sent it back to Mike Neer for a try.

Pretty cool stuff ... that powder.
basilh

Post by basilh »

I had actually given up on the bar.. and almost forgotten about it..Now I'm getting a little peeved at the defense being offered of what after all in my country is a criminal offense..Don't you have any laws in the USA regarding trade descriptions ?
I don't want my money back, I don't want (or expect an apology for the lack of trust) I want what I purchased ..is that so wrong as to elicit the excuses being offered.?
basilh

Post by basilh »

This all came about because I answered Andy Sandoval's question about the dimensions..
they are WRONGLY advertised OR supplied..
which I don't know, as a replacement for my one was never sent..<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by basilh on 25 February 2005 at 06:47 AM.]</p></FONT>
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

<SMALL>then why advertise it as 7/8" Diameter</SMALL>
Probably because listing it as [937/1024 - 0.0000390625]" is Image
<SMALL>And how do you explain Chuck offering to replace it with a Correct one.</SMALL>
My guess ... he'll grind down the stock bar by 1/25".
<SMALL>Now I'm getting a little peeved at the defense being offered of what after all in my country is a criminal offense..Don't you have any laws in the USA regarding trade descriptions ?</SMALL>
Yeah ... most of the US anyway ...

But remember ... Chuck is from the Law-less Wild West ...

------------------
<font size=1> Aiello's House of Gauss</font>

<font size=1>
My wife and I don't think alike. She donates money to the homeless and I donate money to the topless! ... R. Dangerfield</font>

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 25 February 2005 at 08:47 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Ron, you ever think of trying a shorter bar, like 2 3/4"?
Cindy Burch

Post by Cindy Burch »

I don't understand basilh, are you saying you want Chuck to send you a replacement without you returning the original one he shipped first?
For some reason that doesn't make sense to me. If I want to exchange anything at a store or anywhere. I couldn't see them letting me, without first handing over the original product. Image

I have dealt with Chuck for many years and he is an outstanding person to to deal with.
I just had to put my two cents in here because there not many honest, knowledgeable and upfront people around in my neck of the woods anymore. I couldn't see myself going to say, Guitar Center and getting the treatment and honesty I can get from Chuck. Also, if I wanted to exchange something I bought, I am sure they would want the product first.

You guy's have a great day! Image
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

I always buy two of each bar, that way I'll have a replacement if something happens to one of my main bars. I'm with Cindy on this,- it's standard procedure to return the damaged item before you get a new one.
I'm very glad there are still people around who makes stuff for the love of it.

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Cindy Burch

Post by Cindy Burch »

Yes sir Mr. Gregertsen. Image
It's nice to deal with someone who is doing what they do because they love it and and have pride in their work.
Not to mention the fact of being a player also.

ooops .... I mean Steel guitar player. Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Cindy Burch on 25 February 2005 at 08:50 AM.]</p></FONT>
C. Brattain

Post by C. Brattain »

Basilh, The size of the bars are before the powder coating, I did not thank it would make that much differance. I am very sorry if you are having trouble with it. If you would return the bar I will refund your money including the all postage. I do not thank I am a crook as you say I am.
Ron Victoria

Post by Ron Victoria »

Boy, my post sure went for a ride. I think a private email would have been more appropriate, but that's just my opinion.

Ron
Ron Brennan

Post by Ron Brennan »

Ron......Ditto your last post.

BTW: What is the difference between the Rajah & the Phoenix?....

When you over next time, I'd like to try it out. Seems the opinion here is very positive for this bar...TX
rgds,
Ron

------------------
JCFSC member since 2005
"55" Stringmaster D8,"59" Stringmaster D6
"67" Telecaster,
"60"Fender Concert Amp 4-10's

Derrick Mau

Post by Derrick Mau »

Chuck is a great person to deal with. My bars were replaced no questions asked. I had to send two black rajah bars back for the same reasons. Chuck told me that if an air pocket somehow gets between the powdered coating and the bar, this is what happens.

They are the best bars I have used so far and can't go without them. I noticed too that if your plain strings are oxidized, it kinda leaves an abrasive surface which wears out the coating quicker especially if you use a vibrato similar to Dick McIntire. Remedy: I'd have to change strings more often.

I'm with the others on the return policy. You return the damage goods before you get a replacement. Same as if you were to go to a restaurant and order a medium rare steak and it comes out well done. The waiter will take back the piece of meat before you get a replacement. They don't let you keep chomping on it till the replacement arrives.