making the S'master bridge cover

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ron Victoria

making the S'master bridge cover

Post by Ron Victoria »

I've been thinking about how to make those covers that everyone seems to need. I made a hardwood mold of my cover and tried shaping some metal over it. My first attempt was with thin alum but I found it just won't make the compound bend on the front corners. So then I made a cut and wrapper the piece which didn't look half bad. I don't think the shaping will be a problem but finishing. To get it chrome plated I can't use body filler or any other fillers. Now I'm thinking to use tin plate and solder the joints. I am pretty sure this could be plated. I will continue my quest.

Ron
Nathan Hernandez

Post by Nathan Hernandez »

Why dont you have them cast out of Aluminum.
Ron Victoria

Post by Ron Victoria »

They would have to be fairly thick to cast in sand. I'm thinking maybe copper would be better to use than the tin plate.
Al Sato

Post by Al Sato »

All I have to say is, "Viva Ron!" If you succeed, I will be first in line... These things are seriously rare and to think we used to discard them because they rattled. It's like the ashtray on a Telecaster.

Please keep us informed!

Al

------------------
So many stringed instruments, so little time...

Paul Osbty

Post by Paul Osbty »

.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Paul Osbty on 07 December 2006 at 05:43 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dave Boothroyd

Post by Dave Boothroyd »

Because it's a compound curve, the normal way of producing it would be to work on the inside. It's relatively easy to stretch metal, using a bossing mallet (like a big wooden egg on a stick) on a leather cushion filled with sand. It's the way you make bowls by hand. If you work from the outside, you have to shrink the edges, and since they are folded, it's almost impossible. Shrinking metal is called "upsetting". (I've always liked that.) and it's much more difficult.
It would be a very easy with copper, and it takes chrome well too. You'd need a metal dolly to hammer out the bumps (planishing) and a quick spin on a buffing wheel, unless you were going for an "Arts and Crafts" hand-hammered look.
That might look good on the right instrument.
Cheers
Dave