Computer updates

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Johnny Cunnyngham

Computer updates

Post by Johnny Cunnyngham »

"Woops!" Due to my own neglect, I was recently infected by a virus. What is suggested to at least make an attempt to stay ahead of these monsters? The characters who are behind this would be much better off sitting in their living room playing steel guitar. I have a new computer, (six months), and assumed that Microsoft updates were automatic. I checked the unit's security and the protection was
marked on. Your comments are appreciated.
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Johnny C. said; <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>
Due to my own neglect, I was recently infected by a virus. What is suggested to at least make an attempt to stay ahead of these monsters?
</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
First of all get an anti virus program and keep it updated on a daily basis. Most offer automatic updates, but it doesn't hurt to check manually once a day.

Second, get a software firewall, install it, learn to configure it and how to respond if and when it pops up challenges to programs that are trying to connect to the internet.

Third, even if Windows Updates are set to automatic it is prudent to manually check for them, using the Custom option. To do this open Internet Explorer, click on the menubar item Tools, then on Windows Updates. After the WU site loads you should see two buttons. Click on Custom so it will show you optional components, including driver updates for your hardware devices, and enhancements to Media Player and other internal Windows programs. Download what is available for your computer, rebooting if required.

If you have Microsoft Office, Publisher, Outlook, or Works installed you should switch to Microsoft Updates, which is done via a link on the Windows Updates page, before you choose Express or Custom. Microsoft Updates include patches for all office products, as well as Windows components.

Fourth, assume that somebody is always out to get you and use the most secure options available for your day to day online experience. That means that instead of using Internet Explorer to browse, try using Mozilla.org's Firefox browser. When you install Firefox it will ask if you want to import your cookies and Favorites (now called Bookmarks) into FF. Do so to make the switch over easier. Only use Internet Explorer to visit the Windows or Microsoft Updates web site. It is way too insecure and vulnerable to exploits to be used for general browsing, unless you do what follows.

WARNING: Techno-babble follows!

To be much more secure in your everyday use of your computer, go to Control Panel > User Accounts and create a new account with "Computer Administrator" privileges and a password, log off your current account, then log onto the new account. From that Administrator level account open Control Panel > User Accounts and open your other account to "change it." Change that account "type" from "Computer Administrator" to a "Limited User," click Apply, and OK. Exit Control Panel and log off your new administrator level account, and onto your previous account. You will now be running as a Limited User, which means you cannot install (or uninstall) programs that alter or create any system files or directories, or that write to the Local_Machine part of the Windows Registry, or install any "Services." These are all things required by viruses, spyware, adware, trojans, backdoors and rootkits, which they can't do without administrator privileges.

When you need to install or uninstall programs, defragment, check for/install Windows Updates, or perform other administrator functions, either "Switch Users" to the Administrator account, or Log Off and onto that account. Do what needs doing, then log off that account and back onto your Limited account. Do not browse to any websites other than Windows/Microsoft Updates using Internet Explorer, while operating as an Administrator!

I have a lot more information about Windows user privileges on my website, here and here. By running as a Limited User you are protected against your own mistakes, as well as the dirty tricks of purveyors of malware.

I have information and links to computer security products and malware removal forums on my blog, in the right sidebar, and on my links page, under the sub-heading "Online security sites." There is more information about securing your PC with various programs like firewall, anti virus and anti spyware, as well as general maintenance procedures to keep it in good condition, on my FAQs page.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg
Moderator of the SGF Computers Forum
<small>Visit my Wiztunes Steel Guitar website at: http://www.wiztunes.com/
or my computer troubleshooting website: Wizcrafts Computer Services,
or my Webmaster Services webpage.
Learn about current computer virus and security threats here.
Read Wiz's Blog for security news and update notices</small><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Wiz Feinberg on 31 August 2006 at 09:37 AM.]</p></FONT>
Johnny Cunnyngham

Post by Johnny Cunnyngham »

Wiz, A wealth of valuable information. I realize I have been fortunate in the past but I will follow your instructions to the letter to Increase security measures. In my youth, the word "Trust" was utilized often and stood on its own values Today, it takes on a different meaning. Thank You, Johnny.