ringtones

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Bob Evens

ringtones

Post by Bob Evens »

Where can I get and download steel guitar ringtones? Do they, or can they, be written and downloaded to a cell phone?

------------------
Play with your heart... your hands and feet will follow
Zum D-10
DPC-750/Profex ll,
Bob Evens

Post by Bob Evens »

Anybody out there?

------------------
Zum D-10
DPC-750/Profex ll,
Dan Peterson

Post by Dan Peterson »

Been wondering the same thing about ringtones? Love to have some 'steel' on my verizon LG8100 camera phone, tired of mickey mouse ringer noises they provide, even when you buy some. Find'em..? lemme know too, thanks .. Image dan
Dave Potter

Post by Dave Potter »

Whether they, or any others, can be downloaded to your cellphone depends on which phone you have, and which ringtone formats it supports. Some phones use proprietary formats, some accept several common formats, such as mp3 and midi.

http://cellphones.about.com/c/ht/03/01/How_Determine_Ringtone_Format1043527760.htm
http://www.ringtone4me.com/ <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dave Potter on 18 January 2006 at 11:28 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I spent a few minutes googling ringtones and steel guitar and quickly found a few sound-effects types, i.e., wolf-whistles, but nothing musical. Didn't have much time to dig further tho'. Perhaps someone else would care to try and let us know if they find something?
Karlis Abolins

Post by Karlis Abolins »

I have a Motorola V188 with a USB connector. I bought Datapilot software to connect the phone to my PC. I extracted a steel intro by Red Rhodes from one of my records into a wav file and uploaded it to my V188. I now have the coolest ringtone in town.
I also use theDatapilot software to upload my calendar to my phone as well.

Karlis
sonbone

Post by sonbone »

I have a Motorola e815 (Verizon service). Was able to make a clip from Tracy Byrd's version of "Undo The Right" and upload it to my phone from Verizon's website. Cost either 50 cents or a dollar, can't remember, but it was well worth it. Weird thing about it is that the music file is an mp3, but I had to rename the extension of the file .mid for it to work as a ringtone. Good 'ol google to the rescue for that bit of info.

Sonny

------------------
http://geocities.com/sonbone1
sonbone@geocities.com

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I have a new Nokia (6255i) and bought a USB cable to connect the phone to the PC. They have a downloadable PC program for many different functions with the phone, one of them is a ringtone generator. I havent tried that function yet.

The 6255i, also has MP3 player capabilities, an FM radio (with the Nokia headphones) and a flash camera.
Bob Evens

Post by Bob Evens »

WOW thanks for the info. I just purchased a Motorola V3 (razr 3v) and I thought the software mentioned above might do the trick. I will purchase it and let you know how it turns out.
I think it would be really cool to have the Paul Franklin's intro to Hwy 40 Blues or ????

------------------
Zum D-10
DPC-750/Profex ll,
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

<SMALL>Paul Franklin's intro to Hwy 40 Blues or ????</SMALL>
... or even Bruce Bouton's! Image
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The software I mentioned is for certain model Nokia's only. It won't work with a Motorola.

Bruce Bouton with Ricky Skaggs. Best sound Ricky ever had.
Bob Evens

Post by Bob Evens »

I agree. I musta lost my head for a minute.
If anyone has a fool proof way to do the above mentioned task, I would love to hear from you.

------------------
Zum D-10
DPC-750/Profex ll,
Bob Markison

Post by Bob Markison »

Pyro 05 from Cakewalk does the job. This is an inexpensive mp3 encoding program that also lets you make your own cell phone ring tones, upload them, then download them to your cell. The program can be downloaded from the site: http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Pyro/default.asp
There is an 11.9 second length limit on the sound file, but it works fine. The only limitation is that the program will only upload ring tones to a single cell phone number. I record my own originals, clean them up in SoundForge, then do the upload via Pyro 05 - it's fun. Hope this is helpful. - Bob
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

My cell phone is a Nokia flip phone from Cingular. I forget the model... I think it may be 6102. Anyway, I got my ringtone from Cingular's website. It's the steel guitar into to "Hickory Wind" from the Byrd's Sweetheart of the Rodeo album. Not sure if it's Lloyd or Jay Dee, but it's sure some great steel guitar, and has gotten noticed several times by other musicians when my phone would "ring".