windows xp prof. backup

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Johnny Cunnyngham

windows xp prof. backup

Post by Johnny Cunnyngham »

Is there a simple method to back up a hard drive on xp professional. My attempts to use windows has not worked well. There was some recovery disc shipped with my new Dell but they provided a message that total backup could not be completed. thanks, Johnny
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

To backup everything on your hard drive, assuming that you have adequate disk space, is to use the Backup Wizard and tell it to backup everything to a file.

You can access the backup Wizard in at least two ways:
1: Go to Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup

2: Go to My Computer and right click on your C:\ drive and select Properties. From the properties sheet choose Tools > Backup

Windows XP will create "shadow copies" of files in use, freezing them at the moment they are being backed up, so you will have a pretty good representation of every file and folder on your computer.

Please do yourself a favor and run virus and spyware scans first, and turn OFF System Restore (you can turn it back on after backup has completed), and empty temporary internet and other temporary files that are not required, as well as any remnants of failed installations or uninstallations.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg
Moderator of the SGF Computers Forum
<small>Visit my Wiztunes Steel Guitar website at: http://www.wiztunes.com/
or my computer troubleshooting website: Wizcrafts Computer Services,
or my Webmaster Services webpage.
Learn about current computer virus and security threats here. </small>

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Most new Dell's in the last year come with a restore partition to restore it to the "factory" setup. There is also some instructions on how to make the Windows XP CD, etc.

Since you have the restore partition, all you really have to backup is your user data (e.g. the My Documents Folder, music files,etc) and your e-mail account, address book and any e-mail folders you want, plus your Internet Explorer favorites.

There is also instructions on the Dell Users forum - Windows XP software section. http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums