Partitions

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

winston

Partitions

Post by winston »

Can a 120G hard drive be partitioned 2 times, one for winxp and the other for win98? I know you can run 2 os's with 2 hard drives in one machine but can't recall anyone wanting both systems on one hard drive. The computer is a p3 800 with 1024 ram. Right now it has only win98. thanks winston may
Carter York

Post by Carter York »

yes
Gary Shepherd

Post by Gary Shepherd »

But why would you want 98? Just go to XP.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Many older programs are not XP compatible and XP does not really support DOS well - just has a DOS emulator.

I see a lot of people that want to use old software do a dual-boot system.

You can do two partitions one with FAT32 for Win98 and the other with NTFS for Windows XP. However, you must first install the non XP OS first (in this case 98).

One note on using XP, you need to make sure your system will support XP. It has the memory but will all the other older hardware support XP? If you have an XP install CD, it has the "Windows XP Upgrade Advisor" on it - run that and it will scan your hardware and flag any incompatibles (if there are any). You will also need Windows XP specific drivers for the hardware, the older Win9x/Me drivers are not compatible with XP.

Finally, you may need Windows XP specific or compatible software for some items. e.g. only certain versions of Norton Antivirus are Windows XP compatible. If you have Roxio CD burning software only V5 and later is XP compatible (the older Adaptec Easy CD Creator is not XP compatible), etc.

A lot to consider when upgrading an older system to XP. Personally, XP is a much better and more stable OS but a lot of it is not "backward compatible" like the older Operating Systems were.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Yep, ProTools Free is only good for Win98. Gotta have it.