Source for audio CD disc

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Johnny Cunnyngham

Source for audio CD disc

Post by Johnny Cunnyngham »

Trying to find a source for blank Sony, Maxell or other brand audio CD-R disc. I have had my fill with Memorex, I can't recall making it through a "50" supply without tossing out several bad disc. Almost everything on the web is for data. Is it possible audio cd's are being phased out for amateur user? Thanks, Johnny
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

If you are using a PC to burn the audio CD's you ONLY need "data" CD-R's.

The only time you need "audio" CD-R's is for separate (standalone) audio CD burners.

But, the Memorex are known to be marginal. I've used Taio-Yuden with good luck and also the Verbatim's that Sam's Club sells. I've been using those lately as Sam's sells the "ink jet printable" type that I can use on my Epson printer that prints on CD's and DVD's.

Don Blood

Post by Don Blood »

www.cdcopyrack.com/

I just ordered a bunch, they have great prices, I think. I ordered the ink jet printable ones. With the correct printer you can put the cd in the printer and print the label on the cd.
Johnny Cunnyngham

Post by Johnny Cunnyngham »

Gentlemen, thanks for your comments. I failed to mention I use the Boss Br-1180 and a Sony CD recorder, but I am glad to know that a computer will accept data disc for audio use. Now that's teaching this old dog a new trick. Johnny
Wayne Carver

Post by Wayne Carver »

I've had good luck with Memorex cd-r's and bad luck with TDK. I shop at Sam's so I might try the Verbatim's. Maybe different burners like or tolerate different disk. I have an Office Install cd that works on an older pc but with my new one it said the disk had read errors.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Wayne, you have been lucky with Memorex. We see a lot of CD problems on the Dell support forum with Memorex media.
John Daugherty

Post by John Daugherty »

I think I got my last batch of printable CD-Rs from "Super Media Store", online. So far, I have had 100% success. They have a good price for 100 or 200 pack.
Keep in mind that you should record at a slow speed if you want the CD to play in all CD players. I had a lot of failures when I was burning above 32x speed. I took Jack Stoners advice, recorded all my audio CDs at 8x and now I never get a bad one.

------------------
www.phelpscountychoppers.com/steelguitar

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by John Daugherty on 03 January 2006 at 05:28 AM.]</p></FONT>
Craig Stenseth

Post by Craig Stenseth »

Memorex seems to have carried their "quality" over from their cassette tapes to their CDs.