Simple laptop for BIAB

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Gary Ulinskas

Simple laptop for BIAB

Post by Gary Ulinskas »

Would appreciate recommendations for a suitable off-the-shelf laptop + upgrade sound card dedicated for use with Band in Box. Thanks
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Gary,

Some of the discount department stores have some good prices on low-cost laptops -- although I can't vouch for them. Be sure to get a "Soundblaster" or "Soundblaster compatible" sound card. If you want to send the BIAB signal from the laptop to an amplifier or PA system, you can get an Edirol SD-20 "Virtual Sound Canvas" for well under $300. You plug your laptop into the SD-20 and plug the SD-20 into a mono or stereo system and it gives a relatively realistic sound. If you use an SD-20, the signal goes directly to it and doesn't go to the sound card, so the kind of sound card doesn't make much difference. I'm no expert in this area of technology, but by following the advice of a couple of guys whose judgement I trust, I wound up with a pretty good system using the SD-20, and did it all for a reasonable price.

------------------
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR=BLACK><P ALIGN=left>Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Roy Ayres on 07 December 2005 at 04:12 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gary Ulinskas

Post by Gary Ulinskas »

Hey Roy,
Thanks for the info. Since PG Music sells the Edirol SD-20, I'm sure is must be compatible with Band In a Box. What is weird is that I went to the "Live Help" button on PG Music's web site and chatted with a PG Music technician about this same subject (before I entered this post) and he said that because of "product liability" he could not recommend any brand names!!!