erratic/jumping cursor

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Everett Cox

erratic/jumping cursor

Post by Everett Cox »

Just finished assembling a computer for a friend. Win98SE with all updates, MSIE and Outlook Express versions 6, plenty of Ram and disk space, Logitec optical mouse, only a few standard app's. No problems when tested at home.

Took the machine to my friend (100 mile trip) and fired it up. The mouse cursor now 'jumps' to random locations on the desktop when I move it to a 'hot spot'. In other words, moving the cursor to an 'OK' button or scroll bar, etc. is normal untill the cursor reaches the button. Then it jumps somewhere else on the screen.

Had done a virus scan at home and, again, after the problem showed up. No virus' detected. Knowing surface reflectivity can cause erratic behavior with optical mice, I tried different mouse pads, etc. Also tried the mouse connected to USB or PS2 ports. (It should work with either.) Didn't have another mouse to try while at my friend's house. No problems show up in Device Manager.

All suggestions/help welcomed. --Everett
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Try another mouse. I've had poor performance from them mice that have both USB & PS2 connection ends. They behave screwy sometimes. Try to stick to a plain old PS2 mouse.

If the PC & mouse worked OK before ya moved it 100 miles did you add more software at the destination? Do you see two mouse entries in Device Manager?<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 02 December 2004 at 08:29 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 02 December 2004 at 08:30 AM.]</p></FONT>
Everett Cox

Post by Everett Cox »

Thanks Ray--
The machine is still 100 miles away. It was, at least, usable and he needed it. His old machine used the large round mouse connecter, not PS2 so it won't work with the new box. Since all was well when testing prior to delivery, I had not taken any of my stuff. Thus, no other mice at his location to try.

No additional hardware or software added. I did finish setting up Outlook Express and his Internet connection once I knew his password. At home, I'd used my own ISP and data for testing. --Everett
Dave Potter

Post by Dave Potter »

I'd suggest making sure you have the latest Win98 driver for the device, and, even if it is, uninstalling/reinstalling has solved hardware problems for me in the past (but I suppose you've probably already tried that).

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Potter on 02 December 2004 at 10:01 AM.]</p></FONT>