DriveImage saves the day! (again)

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Gary Shepherd

DriveImage saves the day! (again)

Post by Gary Shepherd »

I lost one of my hard drives earlier today. And this drive had ALL of my important info. I mean EVERYTHING!!!

I got an evaluation copy of Windows XP x64 version and put it in the CD drive and rebooted. It went through all the normal Windows Setup stuff and I cancelled before I started the installation because I wanted to put the new OS on a different drive that wasn't in the computer at the time.

I couldn't get the drive of choice to boot up because it was damaged so I decided to install XP64 on my main C drive. I keep images of my hard drives on the back up drive so reinstallation would not be a problem. But when I rebooted, my backup drive had be "messed up". I'm still not sure what the problem was/is. But suffice it to say, it was bad. Windows would not recognize the drive as anything other than an empty and unpartitioned drive.

But drive image came in and found the drive and let me make an image of all my backups. From the image, I was able to reinstall all my important files - including stuff I've had for 10 years or more and would not have been able to replace.

Sweet.

Do yourselves a favor and buy a copy of DriveImage. 7 is the newest version. It works on Windows XP and 2000. Mine also came with the older version for free and that version works on Windows 98 and earlier systems.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Sierra Session 12

www.16tracks.com
Doug Brumley

Post by Doug Brumley »

To reference a quote from your free Windows XP x64 beta thread, Gary:
<SMALL>I enjoy challenges.</SMALL>
I can see that! Image Seriously though, thanks for sharing the DriveImage info... good to know. I have Ghost but I'll look into how the two compare. Best of luck with that 64-bit version. Did you get it installed?
Gary Shepherd

Post by Gary Shepherd »

I haven't installed the 64 bit version yet. I'm working on backing up all my files. I had been considering doing it for a while.

I was just thinking the other day, "All of my stuff is on one hard drive. What if I lose that drive?"

But after putting all my important stuff on DVD, I'm going to install the new Windows on a 6 gb hard drive to test it out.

By the way, I'm not sure if Windows XP64 is what caused the hard drive problems. The system was acting strange before I ever got very far with it. On the bootup just before I explored the CD, my system locked up and I had to restart. And then during the restart, the sytem restarted again. So Windows 64 may have be innocent. Still, it's possible that the new CD caused the problem.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Sierra Session 12

www.16tracks.com
Don Walters

Post by Don Walters »

DriveImage and PartitionMagic, both from PowerQuest are 2 utilities I would never be without.

PowerQuest has been purchased by Symantec. Time will tell if that's a good thing.

------------------
Don Walters
Carter D-10 8p/6k BCT,True Tone PUPs, Evans SE150, Hilton Pedal, J. Tubb resonator

Gary Shepherd

Post by Gary Shepherd »

Yep. I just got a copy of Partition Magic too.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Sierra Session 12

www.16tracks.com
Doug Brumley

Post by Doug Brumley »

<SMALL>I was just thinking the other day, "All of my stuff is on one hard drive. What if I lose that drive?"</SMALL>
I'm currently on the lookout for a good network HD for that very same reason. Or at least a firewire drive. I've been putting this off, but was reminded to get on the ball by Walt Mossberg's Oct. 7 Wall Street Journal column.
Dave Potter

Post by Dave Potter »

DriveImage is good stuff.

Been using it about a year to backup my system.

I backup my boot drive (C) about once a week, and keep the last 3 weekly backups on drive D.

I've been forced to recreate drive C twice now (a while back). Worked well.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dave Potter on 24 October 2004 at 06:28 AM.]</p></FONT>