wav file

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Paul Wade

wav file

Post by Paul Wade »

i am trying to put a wav file on my web page
for my background music. it is geo cites yhaoo page builder. when i attach the file for background music i can not here the background muisc on my page ? can any body help me on this ?
http://www.geocites.com/msad10/mysteelpage.html
Peter Timaratz

Post by Peter Timaratz »

I tried your page and got a message that http://www.geocities.com/msad10/donson~1.wav could not be found. It looks like you have a wave with a long filename that was linkified using the DOS 8 character name.

Wave files are a very inefficient way of putting music on the web. MP3 files are at least 1/10 the size and sound just as good.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Peter Timaratz on 20 December 2003 at 08:59 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Paul, I would fully agree that WAVE files are not recommended for websites. They are way to big and the folks attempting to access your website will have difficulty with these files as part of your homepage access.

Convert your website music files to small MP3's as you want them to load rapidly with your home web page. Music quality should not be your primary goal..There are many conversion programs available with MusicMatch being one the most popular.

On another note..
As you are uploading your music files to your web server, keep the file names very short and brief. In this manner it will be very easy to be certain the link is correct and accurate which it must be for the file to be accessed. Rename long file names in your Windows Explorer and change them to simple short names and I would also keep them all in the simplist lower case type format. This is clearly a case where less is more.

let the fun begin

T
Wayne Carver

Post by Wayne Carver »

A lot of web sites use MIDI's for music also.