VSC Question

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Jimmy Dale

VSC Question

Post by Jimmy Dale »

I tried downloading the VSC from my BIAB disc and I get a warning that says, " This has not been tested and passed by Windows Logo and continueing the download may now or later destablize the pc". Or something to that effect. I didn't copy it down word for word but, you computer guys will know what I am talking about. Thanks , Jimmy I'D RATHER BE STEELIN'
Jimmy Dale

Post by Jimmy Dale »

Sorry, I forgot to mention the fact that I am using XP Pro. Jimmy I'D RATHER BE STEELIN'
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

I never had seen that warning when I had Windows '98 - when I upgraded to Windows XP and reinstalled the same softwear I had used in '98 I seen this warning. I just clicked right thru it and proceeded as usual, with no problems. I wonder it is Microsofts way of saying 'if anything goed wrong with this softwear/installation, don't blame us!'.
If there's anything more to it, I'd be curious, though.
~Russ
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Windows XP is a whole new OS from 98. The message you got simply means that it has not been officially tested and approved to run on XP. Not surprising for a small market application. Go ahead and install it, if it doesn't work you'll know why.
Jim Baron

Post by Jim Baron »

Yeah, just go ahead and hit "continue". They sure make it sound scary though...)
Jim
Jimmy Dale

Post by Jimmy Dale »

OK Guys, and thanks a bunch. I'm gonna go for it. Jimmy, I'D RATHER BE STEELIN'
Woody Woodell

Post by Woody Woodell »

I have a program on my computer called "GOBACK". I think some of the latest Microsoft operating systems haver a similar feature but I'm still living in the dark ages with W/98. The main reason is that if I update, I'll have to get new drivers for my sound card, printer, etc.
Any way, with GOBACK I can install a new program and try it out and if there's anything wrong, I can go back to the time before I made the change and everything will be exactly like it was. No deleting files, no searching out "orphans" to delete or anything. Since fools rush in where angels fear to tread, this program has saved my bacon more than a few times.
Woody Woodell
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

Yeah, Woody, Windows XP has what it calls 'System Restore' that will return the settings to a previous time.
Ya go to 'Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore, then create a 'restore point' that ya can return to should things go awry.
Kinda like writing down your amp settings before someone sets in and truns all the knobs, huh!!
~Russ