Music wont play

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Charles French

Music wont play

Post by Charles French »

Help, I cant get a music player to play. When I go to a site that has someones music I cant get it to play. A blank screen comes up with a little box in the top corner. I have Real One, Windows media and a number of players. I deleted some junk off my computer the other day. At least I thought it was junk. Could I have deleted something I need. How can I fix this problem?

ps, I dont have any problem playing any of my music files on my computer.

tks cf
Chuck Halcomb

Post by Chuck Halcomb »

If you can play files on your computer, and not when you try to play them by clicking on a link, then there is a good chance that your settings are wrong for the file type you are trying to play.

I would suggest a test by right clicking on the link and downloading the file to your computer and then see if it will play directly from your machine. If it does, then you have a setting, probably in the sound card software that is wrong, but in the meantime you will be able to listen to the music. Image

------------------
Remington Steel T-8 Steelmaster
Gibson Console Grande
Doug Brumley

Post by Doug Brumley »

Charles, your browser plug-ins for your players may be not working properly. I've had this problem, where a one piece of software will take over as the new default player (either during installation or by "reclaiming" its status for specified file extensions). This has thrown a real wrench into things for me at times--to the point where I was in a similar circumstance as you. I'd say the simplest solution would be to download and reinstall the player(s) you use most often, and that should get those plug-ins working again. That may not be the best technical approach (i.e. trying to reassign particular file extensions to certain programs, etc.), but it has worked for me before when other failed attempts to straighten things up "properly" have not.
Bob Jackson

Post by Bob Jackson »

Charles
If you haven't emptied your recycle bin lately you can restore the deleted files and see if that fixes the problem.
Just a suggestion.

Bob Jackson