Mark, How do you control Pop-Ups?

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Steve Benzian

Mark, How do you control Pop-Ups?

Post by Steve Benzian »

I'm being deluged with Pop-Ups lately which are really interfering with normal browsing. I spend all my time clicking them off......some won't go away.

Mark, any good blocking software or other strategy?
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

I've not tried them, but here's a page that lists several, many of which are free. Hope this helps.

Lem
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,8060,00.asp

As an interesting side note, I noticed that when you click on the above link, if you don't have a pop up blocker running, a pop up ad will show up sometimes. Just thought it was ironic. Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Lem Smith on 26 August 2003 at 12:54 AM.]</p></FONT>
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

I've just had two desktops and a laptop upgraded from Windows '98 to Windows XP last week and since then the laptop (but not the desktops) is bombarded with 'Messenger Service' pop-ups every several minutes - I'm not yet running any 'blockers', but find it curious that only the laptop is bothered. AOL v7 is on all three.
Any clues?
~Russ
Leon Grizzard

Post by Leon Grizzard »

Lem - I have been happy with popup-stopper, a free download from panicware.com.

Russ - There was thread on this a while back. Messenger service is a feature in XP, made for instant messaging on networks. You can disable it under control panel. If you cannot find the thread, you can find instructions on in Walter Mossberg's Mailbox archives on the Wall Street Journal site.

Jeff Agnew

Post by Jeff Agnew »

The Windows Messenger service should never, ever be running on a home PC. Yet the default configuration of XP Home is to do just that. <sigh>

To disable it, do this:
<ol>[*]Select Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools
In Windows XP Home edition, Administrative Tools is under Performance and Maintenance
[*]Select Services
[*]Right-click on Messenger
[*]Select Properties
[*]Select Stop
[*]Click the Startup Type dropdown menu
[*]Select Disabled[/list]Now, the problem is that although you've disabled Messenger, you still haven't fixed the reason you got the pop-up in the first place. To do so, your firewall should block ports 135, 137, 138, and 139. These ports should never, ever be open to the Internet. (Sound like a broken record here?) And yet MS ships every version of its OS in exactly that configuration. <double sigh><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jeff Agnew on 26 August 2003 at 07:17 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jeff Agnew on 26 August 2003 at 07:19 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Jeff,

Thanks. I shut off the messenger. With Windows XP Pro built-in firewall can I block the ports you specified? If so, how?

Ron
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

Thanks for the advice, fellas -
Jeff, is there perhaps a step-by-step route to take to block the four ports you mention?
~Russ
Jeff Agnew

Post by Jeff Agnew »

Ron & Russ,

Every firewall is different, so I can't give you a step-by-step procedure. If you're using a software-based firewall like Zone Alarm, I'd recommend consulting the online documentation. A good firewall will lock down vulnerable ports in its default configuration but it's good to confirm that fact. One way to find out is by using an online port scanner like Steve Gibson's Shields Up! and see which ports are open. You'll need to navigate through his site a bit to find the Shields Up! page as I'm behind a proxy at the moment and can't provide you an accurate URL. When you reach it, use the "All Service Ports" scan.

Ron, I don't use XP's firewall so I can't tell you whether it will block the vulnerable ports; it should. I don't use it because it only filters inbound connections. A firewall should filter both inbound and outbound connection attempts. With XP's firewall, you have no way of knowing whether a trojan or virus that snuck onto your system is dialing out.

There are several software firewalls that will provide this level of protection, and more. Probably the best is Kerio Personal Firewall. It's free and more configurable than its competitors. For set-it-and-forget-it ease of use, Zone Alarm's free edition is an alternative.
Mark Ardito

Post by Mark Ardito »

Sorry guys...I was away on business for 2 days.

OK...the pop-ups...are they "advertisements" or are they Windows Messenger pop-ups?

I just found out yesterday about a new virus that actually promotes pop-ups. So I will ask you to update your Virus definitions for your software and also make sure you have ALL of your Windows Updates from Microsoft. After you do this, please do a scan for virus on your PC. Let us know what turns up.

Also, are you on a broadband internet line? If so, I highly recommend a firewall. If you are on a dial-up connnection, it really isn't worth the hassle of the firewall.

Thanks!
Mark

------------------
Sho~Bud Pro I, Fender D-8 (C6&E13) http://www.darkmagneto.com

Steve Benzian

Post by Steve Benzian »

I may have the virus you refer to since I am getting bombed with ad popups. Can't do any work on the computer without interruptions constantly. Will do as you say....I thought I was up to date with Norton.

If you know how to identify the ad virus let me know.
Mark Ardito

Post by Mark Ardito »

Steve,

Check out this link. Use this tool here to scan for this "parasite". They are calling it a parasite and not a virus. Not sure if Norton or McAfee will catch it, but these guys have a TON of documentation on it.
http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm

Mark

------------------
Sho~Bud Pro I, Fender D-8 (C6&E13) http://www.darkmagneto.com

Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Thanks again guys. I used to use ZoneAlarm -- the basic, free download-- and still have it on my daughter's XP system. I may go back to it because of what Jeff pointed out about only guarding inbound. If I'd gotten that Blaster Worm prior to the anti-virus folks catching up with it, it could have gone outbound from my box... I like the set-it-and-forget-it use of ZoneAlarm (and XP, for that matter).

In a week, when my daughter goes back to college she'll be on a router. I think that might make me shut down her ZoneAlarm, but we'll see. I think the XP might still be workable and won't interfere with the router's built-in firewall. Any advice there would also be appreciated.

Ron<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ron Page on 27 August 2003 at 10:23 AM.]</p></FONT>
Steve Benzian

Post by Steve Benzian »

Mark, thanks for the link....I found 4 parasites so far....trying to eliminate them. They don't make it easy....

Will changing security settings stop these pests from getting on my computer?<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steve Benzian on 27 August 2003 at 10:49 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steve Benzian on 27 August 2003 at 10:50 PM.]</p></FONT>
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Thank you Jeff....no more pop ups!

"Shoot the messenger"... Image
Marco den Hertog

Post by Marco den Hertog »

an Another easy popup bocker tool could be the new Google toolbar 2.0
where you can set it to block or not per site !!

which means if you need certain pop ups from certain sites you can set it open for that site only ...
very cool tool, and very handy for all your searchin needs too .

Steve Benzian

Post by Steve Benzian »

The Google toolbar is a good suggestion and has helped to control the popups. Thanks for the suggestion, Marco.

The programs Spybot and Ad-aware will remove most of the junk but not all.....I think this is going to be a constant battle for awhile. The parasites are embedded and many files can't be removed. They frequently reinstall themselves after removal....!
Rich Weiss

Post by Rich Weiss »

I don't have XP, just Windows 98. I have Popup starter installed and it's doing no good at all. The Pop-ups are out of hand. I don't know too much technical stuff about this computer. Is there any cures for this that a layman can understand? thanks
Steve Benzian

Post by Steve Benzian »

go to Google.com and get the Gogle toolbar....it will block most popups....you can also go to lavasoft.de and get Ad-aware and run it to get rid of many popup programs that hide on your computer.