memorized functions

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

C Dixon

memorized functions

Post by C Dixon »

My computer is a 2001 Sony VAIO with windows XP home edition, 1.2 GB proc, 512K RAM and 60GB HDD.

Since the day I got it, it remembers things such as passwords and names such as this forum; simply by typing one or more characters.

This happens on just about everything on the internet I do also. Suddenly last Friday I got a pop up add while I was in the middle of doing something on the internet. I did not realize it was and ad at first when I clicked on "OK".

Since that incident, none of my "memorized" things are memorized. I have to put my complete name and passwords in, in all my domains.

Does ANY one know what happened and how I can get my PC to again rember names, pw's, etc?

Thanks,

carl
Roger Evilsizor

Post by Roger Evilsizor »

Carl,
If you're using I.E., you need to click on TOOLS (at the top of the screen), then INTERNET OPTIONS. Click on the Tab labeled CONTENT. At the bottom of this sub-menu, in the PERSONAL INFO section, click on AUTO COMPLETE. Make sure there is a check mark beside USERNAMES AND PASSWORDS ON FORMS. This should do it for ya. Image

Roger Evilsizor

------------------
Zumsteel SD-10P Session 500 Profex II
Laredo Band

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Roger Evilsizor on 27 April 2003 at 08:12 PM.]</p></FONT>
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

thank you soooooo much

carl
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Again thank you Roger,

That did the trick. Apparently when I clicked on that web pop up "Ad" it removed the checks in several of the checkboxes you mentioned. As soon as I rechecked them, ALL my memory was back just exactly like it had been before last Friday.

I can't thank you enough friend,

carl
Roger Evilsizor

Post by Roger Evilsizor »

Carl,
No thanks necessary. I truly believe I've made every mistake possible with these 'puters and I pretty much now know what NOT to do. I've had lots of practice fixing my mistakes. That's what I love about the Steel Guitar Forum...the friendship and willingness of everyone to help me when I've needed it. It's nice to be able to return the favor from time to time. And the BEST part is that we're all here because we love the Greatest instrument of them all - the Steel Guitar. Thanks for letting me feel a little bit better about myself by allowing me to return the favor to someone in need. Now, let's go practice on our axes, my friend.

Roger<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Roger Evilsizor on 28 April 2003 at 04:24 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Roger Evilsizor on 28 April 2003 at 04:25 PM.]</p></FONT>
basilh

Post by basilh »

Carl,
you REALY should install this piece of software.... it keeps you clean from all that you can't see.(and it SPEEDS up your system)
http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10186632.html
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>
With its ability to scan your RAM, Registry, hard drives, and external storage devices for known data mining, advertising, and tracking components, Ad-aware can easily rid your system of these tracking components, allowing you to maintain a higher degree of privacy while you surf the Web.
The redesigned user interface improvements include more flexibility and control. This includes user-defined file sizes, which speeds up the scanning process by excluding files that it recognizes as clean. Other advanced features include automatic quarantine and recycle bin storage of removed components, an all-new viewer for backup archives that allows you to quickly and easily review components that have been removed and stored for future restoration, and an integrated reference file updater that can automatically search for new reference files when Ad-aware is started. Be aware that some ad-supported programs, such as GoZilla Free, will no longer function if you remove their ad modules.

Note: This version of Ad-aware detects the CNET Download Manager, powered by the Kontiki Delivery Network, as adware. To avoid uninstalling the CNET Download Manager, please exclude any Kontiki files currently recognized by Ad-aware.</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Baz
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Thanks Basil,

carl
mickd

Post by mickd »

I can also vouch for Ad-aware.
I've been running it for 6 months now & its clean as a whistle.