Metronome recommendation?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ron Stroud

Metronome recommendation?

Post by Ron Stroud »

Any suggestions on a good metronome for dobro and psg practice? Any to avoid?
Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

I've got the Boss Dr. Beat (DB-88). It's very good with lots of options. It also plays musical tones which i use to tune with. It has 5 different sounds, so you can really customize the type of sound or rhythm you want. There are plenty of inexpensive metronomes that do the trick. Seiko used to make some pretty good ones.
Al Sato

Post by Al Sato »

I would recommend something with a dial to set the tempo. I got one with buttons to set the tempo up or down and it is a real pain to change settings. I subsequently got one (Matrix, I think) with a dial and it's a lot easier to set.

Al
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Sabine Zipbeat.

Shameless plug department: John McGann and I will shortly have copies of our new DVD available called "Rhythm Tune Up" (for any instrument) that teaches how to practice using a metronome.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Al is absolutely correct that you want a real dial rather than a digital 'faster' and 'slower' button that needs to be held or pressed repeatedly. I got one of those and returned it. And Andy is absolutely correct because he is smart enough to use the same one I have--Sabine Zipbeat. Cheap, small, pleasant enough 'woodblock' sort of sound, several options for accenting beats (or not). It's a real good choice.
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

I just got a Dr Beat DR66. The best thing about it is the "tap tempo" which lets you tap in time and it automatically sets up to whateer tempo you are tapping. Indispensible for getting tempos captured quickly!! Much easier to use than trying to match the tempo from going up and down.
Tim Tweedale

Post by Tim Tweedale »

Metronome recommendation = yes. Use one. Indispensable musical tool. In order to learn music well, you need to be constantly practicing with a metronome.

-Tim
John McGann

Post by John McGann »

You can pre-order the Rhythm TuneUp DVD (or just read about it) at
http://www.johnmcgann.com/webspecials.html