width of posts

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Bobby Bowman

width of posts

Post by Bobby Bowman »

I don't mind admitting that I'm dumb on computers, but what I don't understand is why some posts fit on my screen while others require a wide scan from side to side just to read it. I'm sure there is a reason. Why not go for a standard? When you have a small screen it's very annoying and you tend to loose your concentration sometimes.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

The posts spread out to fit the width of pictures posted in the messages. Image
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Also if the text contains a URL, the browser won't split that up onto more than one line. So you could get a long line there.

One solution is to use a smaller screen font. On Netscape it's Decrease Font in the View menu.
Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

Hi Bobby, I think the main reason that some pages will not fit on your screen is because the person that put that particular page together done it in a different screen resolution than you have your monitor set at. Most web page authors set their resolution at 800x600 and that could be what you have your monitor resolution set at, but you might have it set at 640x480. If you have it set at any other resolution other that the one they made the web page in it could affect your view. If they made their web page in 640x480 and you are viewing at 800x600 you would have to scroll to see the entire page. There are many more resolutions to view your screen than I just mentioned, but those are 2 of the most common. I hope I haven't confused you. To sum it up if you view your screen at 640x480 you will see less of the page than you would if you set it at 800x600.

Bob

------------------
biggbob@home.com
http://members.tripod.com/biggbobmartin

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I don't have an answer for it. I hope b0b does. I've noticed every once in a while an item starts out wider than normal and all the posts in that item are also wide. My screen is set to 800X600 and I still get it.
RickRichtmyer

Post by RickRichtmyer »

As Earnest said, one of the big culprits is when someone embeds a long URL in the text of their post. that's why I always do them as hypertext links rather than just showing the URL itself. That prevents the problem.

Rick Richtmyer
Bobby Bowman

Post by Bobby Bowman »

Thanks guys,
I'll get one of my computer friends over and see if he can show me what to do. You are a great bunch of friends.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

Dan Crook

Post by Dan Crook »

Also the width of the UserName expands the post to fit in the UserName column.

------------------
D. Crook
Left-Handed Super-Pro
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

I think it can either be a fixed-width table or a <pre> tag. These do not wrap well and I don't think they should be used on the Forum. Also, it helps if you use short captions for hyperlinks. If people follow these guidelines, I think that nobody will have a real problem, unless they have an outrageous screen res and font size.

Jonathan

------------------
Music is like a never-ending story, and since there is no official "perfect", if you aren't happy with your playing, improve it.