Buying a squareneck. Wechter-sheerhorn?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

klinke

Buying a squareneck. Wechter-sheerhorn?

Post by klinke »

Hi.

Its been a while since I posted here last time, but I lurk regularly. Actually, last time i posted was four years ago, and that ended up with Everett Cox building a lap steel for me and thus introducing me to the world of steelplaying. Thats Why I keep hangin here, good friendly people that´ll even build a little pimpled boy halfway around the world a nice lap steel.

My question is: Im going to get a Squareneck, Im finally good enough to justify spending the cash on one. My problem is, I hve to buy sight unseen, cause here in denmark Ill get a regal for the same price as what a Leadbetter model costs in the states. Ive been looking at some different makes and models on the net, like the Leadbetter, Tut Taylors, and the Sheerhorn-Wechter import models. I need one that is good enough for sessions, as there is such a shortage of players around here that even I can get studio and live sessions. And thats saying alot LOL. What do you recommend?

The Wechter models seem like a good deal to me, designed by Sheerhorn at a fifth of the price of an original, AND I like the aesthetics and look of it. The downside to it is that its so new that there are no reviews of it anywhere yet.

I have about 1000-1500 to spend, and its going to be bought from the net.

Any advice greatly appreciated

David Klinke
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

Welcome back, David.

I presume you're talking about the Hybrid model that Elderly is offering for $945. The description seems to suggest that they will be a much better guitar than the $500+ Regals that Wechter was modifying to Scheerhorn's specifications. (Actually, I'm not sure that deal ever transpired -- to the best of my knowledge, they were advertised by Elderly but never shipped. Hopefully this one will last longer.)

You may want to consider the GoldTone/Beard resos. They are already in production, cost less and those of us who have them -- I have a mahogany Standard squareneck -- seem to be unanimously happy. They're the same concept as the Wechter/Scheerhorns -- designed by Beard, built in Asia by GoldTone, and then set up by Paul Beard's shop. The London Resonator Centre carries Beard guitars, but you may want to contact Paul (or Howard Parker) to find out if there are any dealers on the continent.

I've been hearing some good things about the Rayco guitars built in Canada, but I'm not sure if they fit into your price range. IMHO, it seems as if there are some interesting choices for resonator guitars costing up to app. $600, then not many choices until you're ready to spend at least $1500.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Russ Young on 13 November 2004 at 09:56 AM.]</p></FONT>