Nashville 112 report

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Scott Appleton

Nashville 112 report

Post by Scott Appleton »

Finally after a few weeks of gigs I can say without
reservation .. the 112 now has the sound I was hoping it would. The truth shines out .. you have to
break the speaker in for a while before the responce
comes alive. I had allmost given up on this amp
and was ready to sell it .. but I hung in there and It
paid off. What a difference a little playing time will do
to improve the tone of a new speaker. So for those of you who wonder if its true I am here to testify yes it makes a difference with these standard speakers.
I never noticed this with my JBL's as much. They sounded good from the start and got better. The stock PV speaker sounded bad and then got good
after some serious stage time. I will take the NV112
to any small gig now without worry.

------------------
Mullen S12 Almost Mooney
71 Tele, Regal 45
Sho Bud S10 NP
Line 6 Flextone 3 + JBL D130, Nash 112
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Yup, speaker break-in is a very real thing, even with JBL's. I've heard many new speakers sound bad and then become wonderful. They're paper.

Brad Sarno

Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Glad to hear it Scott. I just got mine on Saturday and I'm having trouble dialing in my sound. Guess I'll just have to break it in! Image

Dave Z

------------------
Dave Zirbel-
ZB Custom D-10 8 x 5, S-12U Kline 7 x6, Dobro Cyclops reissue, 1967 Fender Telecaster, Webb 6-14E, Fender Super Reverb
The Mother Truckers
The Cowlicks

Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

An easy way to break in is to play a cd thru it for a day or so! I use a DR-5 sequencer and play the sample track to break in a new speaker. The different frequencies from music help loosen up the speaker's spider very quickly! Some say it takes 30-40 hours to break in a speaker!
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Every new product has a breakin period, but thanks for hanging in there as the Nashville 112 is a great little amp.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation
Ronnie Burks

Post by Ronnie Burks »

WELL I'LL BE A SUCK EGG MULE---THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER HEARD OF BREAKING IN A SPEAKER----LEARN SOMETHING EVERY DAY---I JUST GOT MY N-112 LAST WEEK---ONLY PLAYED IN THE HOUSE SO FAR BUT WILL TRY IT OUT THIS WEEKEND----SOUNDS GREAT IN THE HOUSE--BET IT WILL SOUND GOOD IN A BIG ROOM ALSO---I HAVE A N-1000 AND IT SURE IS HEAVY BUT NOW I THINK I HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS--WHAT I HEAR SO FAR I LOVE--I HAVE A CARTER AND EMMONS AND THEY BOTH SOUND GREAT AT HOME--WE WILL SEE---
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

All I can say is WOW! I got mine last week and have used it on three live gigs two rehearsals and two sessions and it has got the job done well each time. Some of the jobs I do I get drowned out with a 200 watt amp so I see no need to break my back with a heavy load. But this little amp cuts through well and handles the low end rather well. And it's the best recording amp I've ever used so far. It's very clean and has plenty of headroom. It's not as wide sounding as a big amp with a 15 inch speaker but, if you need it wider get two of them and spread them out and you'll have a permanent smile on your face. My hat's off to Mike Brown and all the folks at Peavey for making what I think is one of their best amps ever. My back loves y'all for it.

Mike Sweeney www.freewebs.com/steelgitarmusic/

------------------
Mike Sweeney
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Mike.

My thanks again for your hospitality, and your GREAT playing At Roberts. I'll remember it a long time.

I noticed another gentleman there has, and was using two 112s. Mr Hughey, playing at the Station Inn. Least that's what they looked like.

I use a 112 alone or double up with my Nvl 400.

EJL
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Thanks for the supportive comments guys!
Jerry Brightman

Post by Jerry Brightman »

I Thought this link might add some more information about the Nashville 112 and some settings were using...Great Amp! http://www.peavey.com/partners/tsga/

Cya in Dallas!
Jerry Brightman http://www.slidestation.com
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Bill Ferguson was playing thru one at Saluda, Sunday,sounded real good to me. Cool thing, no effex, nothing but VP between it and his Carter, he did'nt play any "lownote" C6, only E9, I were impressed.

Bill
Ronald Moore

Post by Ronald Moore »

I just came from the Northeast Iowa Steel Guitar jam. I was part of a Round Robin Jam Session. Lefty Schrage and I both used Nashville 112's. We both had all the stage volume we could stand. We both played high notes as well as real low notes. The Peavey 112's sure nailed it. Ron
Bill OConnor

Post by Bill OConnor »

The NV 112 is a real kicker for fiddle.I have had one for a month now. And it works as well for fiddle as for steel.Haven`t had to pre amp over 3.5 And don`t worry about bottom it has more than you need.So are any of you 6 string guitar picker going to give this super little amp a shot?

------------------
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

I just returned from the Texas Steel Guitar Jamboree this past weekend. As always, it was great to see old friends and meet new friends. But, I just want to say "thanks" to those players who have purchased the Nashville 112 and Nashville 1000 amplifiers. These models have been well received in the steel guitar community, which makes us want to continue our research and developement of yet more improvements for future models.

Thanks for your support.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

At Dallas, Peavey also introduced the new custom look of the 112 amps that you can special order them in: my personal favorite was the reddish-brown ostrich skin. Wow. I believe I'll order me one of those once they're available. I understand they'll cost about $100 more than ordering the stock amp, but boy do they look great. Mike, be sure to let us know when they'll be ready for delivery.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I'll find out about the 112, I'm picking up a new one this afternoon. I've played through it with the store owners Sho-Bud and I've heard Roy Ayres with his new Excel and 112.

Our Steel Guitar Club's monthly jam is this evening so I'm going to "break it in" at the jam.
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Yea, Dallas was a full on NV112 fest. They were everywhere. Hal Rugg used a pair, Paul Franlin did too and they sounded great. I've got mine. Way to go Mike (and Peavey)! You seem to have really hit on something with this little combo. Johnny Cox shared a discovery that stacking the pair is a cool way to go. The one on the floor will give the more bassy response because of the floor coupling. Need more lows, turn up the bottom amp. Others have been discussing the merits of the 12" speaker and how it's low-midrange is actually fuller than a 15" which tends to be kind of scooped out sounding. I think it's a combination of that Blue Marvel 12" and the correctly sized/tuned cabinet in which it's mounted. Also the NV112 has a very smooth sounding analog power amp compared to the NV1000 which uses a very powerful, but digital switching type amp.

Brad Sarno

Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

I will make an announcement about our custom covering as soon as we have the "specifics" nailed. Thanks for your comments and it was good to see you again at the show.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Hey, has anyone tried a Peavey Transtube "Express" 112 Amplifier for steel (Sheffield speaker)?
Is it similar to the Nash 112?
'Reason I ask is, there is one for sale locally at a very reasonable price.
Thx,
~pb

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Pete Burak on 09 March 2005 at 09:21 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Peter, there are no similarities between the Nashville 112 and the Express 112. The only similarities are that both are instrument amplifiers.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Thanks, Mike.
BTW, I play alot of gigs with Black Box > Rv3 > Nash 112 + Session 400.
Good combo!

Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I got a NV112 at Dallas. I haven't played through a 12" speaker in 26 years. I may have to start again. It's a way-cool amp.

Mike Brown explained to me that the 112 basically a NV1K pre-amp with a new power amp and a properly matched speaker/cabinet combination. At the moment I'm playing dobro through it and it's working beautifully.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Picked up the new 112 this afternoon and played it tonight at our Steel Guitar Club jam. Doesn't sound like the speaker needs "break in" to me. Sounds good the way it is. I set the EQ the exact same as what I use on my NV1000.

The analog power amp does make a difference (improvement) over the digital power amps. I have a MosValve 500 Power Amp (analog) and also a DPC1000 power amp and for musical instrument sound, the MosValve 500 is much better and even considering the difference in weight the MV500 is still better.
Fred Rushing

Post by Fred Rushing »

Did anyone notice how JC wired his amps?

Thanks Fred

Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

I'm glad that more players got the chance to check out the Nashville 112. It was good to discuss this amp with all who visited our booth.

As the Fender Steel King taught us, it is impossible to manufacture a "lightweight" amplifier rated at approximately 200 watts without using heavy analog components such as transformers. Will players ever "warm up" to a digital amplifier, I don't know. But, some players prefer the preciseness and clarity of a digital switching amplifier such as the Nashville 1000.

Here we go again, digital versus analog and tube versus solid state. That's one of the reasons for research and developement.

Thanks again for choosing the Peavey Nashville 112 amp.