STROBOFLIP TUNER

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ernest Cawby

STROBOFLIP TUNER

Post by Ernest Cawby »

To use the bracket on a steel guitar leg, take off the rubber feet and it will fit, and does not scratch the leg.
Also from walmart a camera bag I found fits nicely, and hold other acces. such as wall wart, and the clip on tuner,ect.
I like mine better than the VS II.
You were right Don it is sweeter.

ernie
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Ernie, if you call Peterson, they will put you on the list for a new bracket. They will provided brackets, free of charge, for anyone that wants one. I don't know when they are going to ship them but I'm on the list.

Call Sue at Peterson, 1-708-388-3311 and get on "her list" for the new bracket.
Bob Kagy

Post by Bob Kagy »

It's been a long wait for the brackets. I'm thinking of doing what Ernest did and shaving the rubber pad down so it'll fit.

Anybody gotten a right-sized bracket recently?
Richard Cooper

Post by Richard Cooper »

I just bent mine to were it has a wider opening,
works fine.
Ron Bryson

Post by Ron Bryson »

What Richard said...
Dave Potter

Post by Dave Potter »

After some considerable amount of bending and re-shaping my "bracket", I finally came to the conclusion that there's simply not enough metal there to be usable on the leg of my M3, which has 1" diameter legs, as opposed the the 7/8" diamater "mic stand" legs on my LDG.

When I called Sue to get on the list for the larger diameter mounting clamps, she indicated they will be designed for 1" guitar legs, and should be available around the end of this month as a best estimate.
Ernest Cawby

Post by Ernest Cawby »

Been using this for about 3 weeks, do not believe I will be needing another tuner ever.

thanks Don and Jack

ernie
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

Ernie
Glad I was able to help.
If anyone needs help using the new StrobFlib I have laid it out in simple to follow terms on my web site under the "Tunings" button.
Don http://web.tampabay.rr.com/dsulesky/
George McLellan

Post by George McLellan »

Don, thanks for posting those instructions on your website. It sure helped me a lot.

Geo
Delvin Morgan

Post by Delvin Morgan »

Can this tuner be programmed for 12 string extended E9th tuning?
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Wouldn't need to be programmed at all, Delvin. standard E9 should cover you. 12 string Universal presents a few problems but not an ext. E9.

Hey Geo--glad you found this. Hope you are up & running now. I'm swamped and I found that I was reluctant to muck around with my unit now that I have it working with one touch. I was afraid I would mess up my settings and have to spend time with the manual to get it back so I never got around to trying to figure out your issues. Sorry.

---------------------
---------------------
---------------------

btw----for anyone wondering what's the big deal with these tuners....................
yes, the preset offsets are cool, yes the programmable memories are cool. But for me, the most oustanding aspect is simply that, even if it's no more accurate than other standard tuners (I don't know if it is or isn't), the read-out is so much more precise than you can hope to achieve with vu meters or leds----you are seeking to make moving bands come to a full stop. Much, much finer tolerances than standard read-outs.

My one wish is that it gave you a reading of how far off you are (in cents or hertz) so that you can sweeten something without going in and punching buttons.

I also believe, as someone else has said, that rather than being a substitute for using my ears, this will strengthen and train my ears.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jon Light on 03 September 2006 at 07:18 AM.]</p></FONT>
James Quackenbush

Post by James Quackenbush »

Is anyone out there using this tuner for U-12 tunings ? ......Can it be programmed to have U-12 presets ? ......Thanks, Jim
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

James--this was addressed in one of the other Flip threads. A single program cannot accomodate something like the pedal that raises strings 5 & 6 B>C#, G#>A#. The E9 program has the standard Newman offset for the A pedal C# which will be flat for the B6 (typically 7th pedal although not with my setup) C#. I believe one presented solution was to set the correct B6 offsets in another memory bank and switch over for the notes in question. I just tune those (also my 7th string A pedal compensator) by ear.
This is what I was referring to with my above wish for a cents or hertz deviation read-out---the equivalent of a conventional metered tuner with which to eyeball the couple of changes that are tweaked up or down from the presets.
Ernest Cawby

Post by Ernest Cawby »

If you want the best tuner out there I think this is it.

ernie
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

Hello JAmes,

I use it for my Bb6/Eb9 12 string Universal. The factor that makes the unit work for me, is the ability to choose the root note on the fly.
If I reveal how I use it, I know I'll get slammed from all sides how I am doing it "wrong".
So send me an email and I'll do my best to help.

Ron
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Ron, whatever works for you is not the "wrong" way.
James Quackenbush

Thanks for the replies guys ......I appreciate them .....

Ron ,
You have mail ......Sincerely, Jim

Jon,
You mention your A string compensator...Are you playiing an Excel by any chance ?.....I luv mine !!......Jim<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by James Quackenbush on 07 September 2006 at 05:57 AM.]</p></FONT>
Richard Cooper

Post by Richard Cooper »

Do you tune the open strings with pedal A&B down or not,
I have heard of players doing it both ways?
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I tune all my open strings without any pedals.

But, I tune the 3rd, 5th, 6th and 10th raises with both A and B pedals mashed. I mash B and C to tune the 4th string raise.

FWIW, I tune my E string opens (on the E9th) to +2 cents, rather than "zero", as a cabinet drop "compromise".
Richard Cooper

Post by Richard Cooper »

Thanks Jack
That is the same way I have been doing it.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

James--the compensator is on the 7th string F#. It is hooked up to the A pedal. I just put it on my new Fessenden. And I have it on my Carter.
Dean Cavill

Post by Dean Cavill »

Re the Clamp.

I thought I'd paste this from my reply in the "Pedal Steel" section.

The SF's standard female 1/4" 20 thread camera mount allows me to install it at line of sight, just in front of my changer... Here's how...
1) Clamp-On single microphone arm attached outwards from the front right leg (the guitar's).
2) 16" Gooseneck attached straight up on #1
3) Small Standard Mic Stand --> Euro 3/8" thread adapter attached atop the gooseneck
4) Small Euro 3/8" --> 1/4" thread adapter attached atop #3 (most decent camera stores will have this)

Then of course, the Stroboflip attached atop all of that.
The SF's so light, that the flex in the gooseneck also protects the SF from any sudden bumps or drunken patrons like me.
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dean Cavill on 08 September 2006 at 02:38 PM.]</p></FONT>
James Quackenbush

Jon,
Ah ha !!....I thought maybe you switched to an Excel .....There are compensators on the A, B, and C pedal ...... Image........Jim
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

With a couple of mods to the end of the bracket, I can now connect my Stroboflip to the lug on the top end of my DPC750 power amp in my rack ...so the tuner is sitting on top of my rack, and you can swivel the thing around on the end of the bracket to get it just right for your line of sight. With the tuner mute connection on my Revelation Preamp it is just about perfect!