went back to a nashville 112...........

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

To each his own,Over the last forty plus years I have owned Fender Twins,Kustoms,Peavey 500's,NV-400's,session-400's.Bandits,still have a session 400 LTD,would NOT trade my NV-112 for any of the above,I know some will never give up these overkill,overweight,monsters,but I have'nt played a gig yet,indoor or outdoor that my 112 could not handle,and my poor old back can sure tell the difference.Just wish it had been around 40 years ago,maybe I would'nt be walking crooked today!!!
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

The input provided here is appreciated. However, the Nashville 112 is proving that a smaller sized amplifier can hold its own in todays steel world. The tone is there, the excess weight is not there and you can easily dial in a great tone. As you are aware, the marketplace has changed and players are looking for "lighter weight" models and they are coming..................

Peavey has continued to persue what steel players have requested and we have been successful. There is definintely more to come.

Peavey has designed, introduced and manufactured more innovative steel guitar amplifiers over the last thirty-two years than any other company in the world, while our competitors continue to offer their latest 30 year old technology. There are better ways to design and manufacture amplifiers today and Peavey has proven this with the Nashville 1000 and Nashville 112 models. Check this article out for our company history of steel guitar amplifiers; http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/steelguitar/31years.pdf

I invite you to check out the Peavey website at www.peavey.com frequently to keep abreast of our latest steel amplifier models. Also, unlike our competitors we offer a toll free consumer phone line at 1-877-732-8391.

Mike Brown
Peavey USA
Mike Archer

Post by Mike Archer »

now running 112 and nashville 400
real nice sound/stereo
the 112 holds up nice with my 400
me happy camper
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Mike Brown-Thank you for your efforts and service to the steel guitar players. You are the tops with many members here on the Steel Guitar Forum.

Jack Stoner says he built a cabinet for the Peavey 112 and it now weighs 39lbs instead of 42.lbs. Not much but every bit helps for us older guys.
And with a ultralight Speaker, that will bring it down to the low 30's. I can handle that.

When you said more good things coming. I got a hunch we will see a even lighter weight cabinet Nashville 112 with a neodyminum ultra light speaker. Keep up the good work...al Image

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 20 July 2006 at 08:04 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mitch Ellis

Post by Mitch Ellis »

Like Mike Fried, the Fender Steel King that I heard sounded a little thin. I use a Nashville 400 and I'm sold on'em. Short story...One night on the way home from a gig, my truck broke down on the side of the highway. I called my Daddy and He came and got me. The NV400 was setting in his truck, on the seat, and the door was open. I was at my truck, shutting the hood, when an eighteen wheeler passed. It rocked his truck and the 400 fell to the ground flipped a couple of times and came to a stop in the wet grass in the ditch. I thought to myself "well, there goes my amp." I got home, set my steel up, hooked up the amp, and it sounded as good as a brand new one. It was completely unharmed. In my opinion, nothing beats a Nashville 400. Sure they're heavy. But if a person is physically able to carry them, the weight is a fair trade for the tone and the durability. As is stands now, I'll play a Nashville 400 from now on. Like I said, I'm sold on'em.

Mitch
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

Go to www.jimeatonmusic.com to see photos and full info on the "Knob-Guard" to help keep you Nashville-112's knobs intact!
JE:-)>
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

Well, the experimentation continues for me and my new NV112. Last week I did a gig running my steel as follows:
PU->SGBB->Tube Screamer->Hilton VP->Lexicon MPX 110-> Right to NV 112; Left to Session 500.

I stacked the NV112 on top the 500 500 o the floor), set the 500 to handle more of the bass, NV112 more of the treble.... wow!

That said, I usually won't pack that much gear around... but it sure was a FULL sound Image

------------------
Dave Wren
'96 Carter S12-E9/B6,7X7; Twin Session 500s; Hilton Pedal; Black Box
www.ameechapman.com

Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

I'm now a proud owner of a 112. I used my Sho bud last night and my JCH tonight in church. I'm just amazed how good this little amp sounds and I've not even cranked it up yet. I had been using a non-steel amp for the last few years and what a difference. Makes me want to play.

Tony
Jeff Lampert

Post by Jeff Lampert »

A pair of 112's has become a very popular gigging rig. Easy to carry, powerful and punchy, and extremely versatile since for a small/medium venue or rehearsal, a single N112 is all you need. If you do a basement rehearsal, it's a pleasure to carry an N112 up and down a flight of stairs compared to the heavywieghts I used to carry.

------------------
Jeff's Jazz
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jeff Lampert on 14 August 2006 at 09:58 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Stroud

Post by Bill Stroud »

If it's the weight and the punch you are looking for look at www.evansamps.com and see what a 5 lb amp head and a good pair of speakers will do, they have the tube preamp also.
Check out the Hybrid SE200 watt amp. 38 lbs.
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

According to their website, a system such as you described would cost $1598.00 for the SE200 and $411.00 for the cab. Nuff said...............
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

Joe Smith

Post by Joe Smith »

Well, I am also a very happy nashville 112 user. Sometimes I use two, but most times I just use one. I played a gig last night in a big hall. I set the amp on a stool and ran it through the house system. IMHO, no other company comes close to Peavey for a good sounding very reliable low cost amp.
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

<SMALL> It was much thinner-sounding than my old Webb, my BF 15" Twin, or the 112's I've tried. </SMALL>
Thinner? How can you say it sounds thinner. Check your EQ settings, as the FSK has more bottom end than any other steel amp available. Remember, Fender is using the old "Bassman 60" enclosure for the Steel King. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Curt Langston on 17 August 2006 at 08:14 AM.]</p></FONT>
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

<SMALL>As you are aware, the marketplace has changed and players are looking for "lighter weight" models and they are coming..................</SMALL>
Very true Mike. I personally think the "marketplace" is getting older, as a general rule. There are some up and coming "youngsters" however.
Cory Jensen

Post by Cory Jensen »

I just ordered a Nashville 112 today from Steel Guitar Nashville. It's a cool looking burgandy color.

I'm very excited to get it. I'm relatively new to steel guitar and have been playing through my guitar practice amp which leaves a lot to be desired. The Nashville 112 should be about 1000 times better.

It's supposed to ship today so I should have it shortly. Awesome!
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Cory, thank you for purchasing the Peavey Nashville 112 amplifier. If you have any questions concerning the operation of this amp, please feel free to contact me toll free at Peavey. My number is 1-877-732-8391, ext. 1180.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Cory, You "WILL" love the Nashville 112. Image
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I love the Peavey Nashville 112 amplifier! I'm playing my GFI through one and I'm really amazed at how powerful the 112 really is! I use the 112 when I'm playing at home and when I'm playing steel guitar shows and it is without a doubt, the best amplifier I've ever used. It's my main amplifier. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10, aka Redgold Beauty<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Brett Day on 17 August 2006 at 11:29 PM.]</p></FONT>
Randy Carson

Post by Randy Carson »

2cents is all, but i am known for my ear in the studio being a producer at times.

the steel king was great for anybody that likes to blow and go. clean as it gets.

however i'm a tone guy and the first 112 i got i sold it in one week. but i kept hearing how great they are. so i bought another one.
well tone wise not volume, the 112 is hard to beat. i know big hit making steel players that use them on sessions all the time.
nothing is going to beat the king for pure clean volume, however for everybody that likes a tube sound you never got pure clean at any volume. what you got was tone.
i think thats what the 112 has is tone.
i did get a bad one the first time around.
there's no doubt beauty is in the eye of the beholder....but Mike and Peavey have pulled off there best trick yet.
tone wise i like the 112
clean volume fsk but, im a tone guy
this may only be worth only 1 penny but there it is.
rc
seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

I use the NV112 at a house-band gig weekly. It goes direct to the board via direct box. I set the preamp gain at 2 and the vol. at 3 or 4. Any louder and I doubt I'd have any hearing left Image I set it off to the side, facing me as a monitor. I'm constantly amazed at the vol. it puts out thru the system. If anyone needs more than this - well, you guys have tougher ears than me. Even when I don't run it thru a DI it's got plenty of vol. for every gig I've done indoors or out. Size is great since I have a very small car. I may need another.

I also rigged an A/B box with a preamp/EQ for my fiddle such that one switch lets me select either steel or fiddle, I run the fiddle thru the nv112 with excellent results - saves carrying another amp.

Chris
Doug Kershaw's Bayou House.
Lucern CO
Mullen D-10, Black Box, Hilton, NV112

------------------
Chris Kennison
Colorado
www.book-em-danno.com

George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

the king rules......
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

If weight is an issue... sure, go with a 112.

But any amp with a 12" speaker and 80 watts is going to sound different than any amp with Triple the power and a 15" speaker. There is no comparison between a 112 and a FSK. They are completely different amps.

I have played my FSK on three or four gigs a week all summer, including a dozen outdoor town concerts in Connecticut, and after every show I have thought to myself... incredible! This killer tone is worth hauling the weight! No doubt about it. I will gladly accept the trade off. The Steel King has a thunderous low end, and the warmest tone I've experienced in my 35 years of playing. Yes, it's a bit heavy, but it does have wheels, so that helps.

FSK and the 112 each do what they were intended to do very well.

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 22 August 2006 at 12:54 AM.]</p></FONT>
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I'm just trying out my brand new 112 right now. It sounds great with the Carter (George L's). It does not have the balls of my Session 400, but it's not supposed to, I guess. It does the old time honk pretty good, and also offers up a nice clean modern sound. Playing with it the past couple of hours, my first impression is that it's very versatile. If you can't dial it in on this amp, you can't dial it in. The reverb is certainly an improvement over the Session. The lows are mighy low for such a small amp as well. Can't wait to try it on a gig. That will be the true test for me, being used to the 400 rumbling behind me. I think it will do just fine, and not throw out my back in the process.