Is it Worth Anything

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Owen Woodard

Is it Worth Anything

Post by Owen Woodard »

I picked up a lap steel in Witchita Falls Texas back in 1966. I got it from a pawn shop and it was used at the time. I was busy at the time i bought it so put it in the closet until now. It plays good and looks good. Ser# 47546 Does anyone know if it has any value? Thanks, Owen
Loni Specter

Post by Loni Specter »

Pick the instrument up and press it against your forhead. Concentrate on the instrument and picture it in your mind so we can recieve the image as brain waves, the way you see it.
Wait, I'm getting something....No just a sneeze comming on. Try again.
Better yet, how about giving us more details, material it's made of, shape. scale length, color. Image
Jay Fagerlie

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

Loni,
You crack me up

Jay

P.S. I never did find info on Willie Hunglow and Shorty Upshank, but I'm still looking!
Owen Woodard

Post by Owen Woodard »

I am sorry, I should have mentioned that it is a MAGANTONE, sort of brown in color and looks like it is made of wood. String length is 22.5"

Owen Woodard

Post by Owen Woodard »

am only looking for information and don't need all the wise cracks. If you can help, fine, if not, no wise cracks please.
Alan Kirk

Post by Alan Kirk »

Without seeing a picture it's hard to tell. But Magnatones seem to go from about $130 to $170 on eBay. With matching amp, about $300.

However, in a certain rare guitar store in the L.A. area I've seen them priced as high as $300 (without amp), for a mint condition with case. That's stretching it, in my opinion.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Alan Kirk on 01 November 2004 at 07:50 AM.]</p></FONT>
Loni Specter

Post by Loni Specter »

Owen, Sorry, Hope I didn't ofend you. I just couldn't resist. You left yourself wide open.
Magnatones have a lot of fans, but the price seems to hover around $100-200 on the street.

Jay, Willie and Shorty have a compilation disc cumming out soon.
Jeff Au Hoy

Post by Jeff Au Hoy »

Last edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 13 Sep 2019 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Prior

Post by Craig Prior »

Jeff, is that one o' them there Da Vinci codes?
Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

Jeff, you crack me up.

Loni, too.

Owen, the short answer is, yes it has value.
James Quackenbush

Post by James Quackenbush »

Whew !!....Tough crowd !!..... Image
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

<SMALL>no wise cracks please.</SMALL>
Well, that sure puts me out of business.

But yeah, $100.00 - $200.00 would be my opinion also.
Ian McLatchie

Post by Ian McLatchie »

Owen: can you give a little more detailed description? Specifically, is it guitar-shaped? Painted, or covered in a pearloid finish? Volume and tone knob or only volume? Hard or soft shell case? The more info you can provide, the more people will be able to tell you about the instrument and its probable value.
Denny Turner

Post by Denny Turner »

Maybe we shouldn't jump to the the conclusion that Owen's steel is a little MOTS Maggie; Brown wood he describes could be a model that's worth twice as much. I have a great sounding / playing mahagony Maggie with an oak-like finish, ...nicer wood version of the more common MOTS with rectangular handrest PU cover ...and I feel it's worth twice what the MOTS versions are. As others have said, we just need as much description and/or pictures as Owen can provide. Phil Emerson is asking $(HUGE) for a lucite deco Magnatone on his shop website! ...and $(STOUT) for a "viola" shaped MOTS Maggie.

Owen; ... Go here and see if there is a Steel that looks like yours; And if so, copy the page address and post it back here so we'll have a better idea of what you have.

Aloha,
Denny T~
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 03 November 2004 at 04:33 AM.]</p></FONT>