SS preamp to tube preamp conversion??

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Carlucci

SS preamp to tube preamp conversion??

Post by Bob Carlucci »

I have heard this can be done and is not a big problem for a good tech.. I have found the COOLEST old 1x15 Earth Revival series[Earth Sound Research]combo.. It is a ss pre with 2 6Ls output and looks like a 50's tweed.. It was made in the 70's by the same company that made Plush amps... I would like to get the ss pre amp converted to a simple tube pre if I can.. Would this be cost effective?? Ever been done?? I heard it was not a big deal, but really have NO idea... any info would be helpful ,,, btw TONS of room in its large chassis for a few 12 ax7's... bob
David Rich

Post by David Rich »

It definately can be done. The only issue is whether the transformer can supply the extra heater current, but that shouldn't be a problem if you're just adding a couple of 12ax7s. A Bassman style preamp would add three preamp tubes. If I'm not mistaken, aren't those Earth amps direct copies of old Peaveys?
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Earth made all tube amps that were DIRECT Fender circuit copies from what I've been told... You can repair the 100 watt reverb versions using a Fender Twin Schematic... Earth Sound Research also made Plush amps, which are good quality tube amps ..

THIS Earth amp IS a hybrid, and Peavey WAS making hybrids in the 70's I had a Classic 2 12 which was a wonderful amp..I suppose they may have "borrowed" the Peavey ss/tube circuit design... The components in this amp look good... all Sprague caps etc.... bob<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 02 May 2006 at 08:28 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Bob, this wont answer your question but a friend of mine has an Earth tube amp he uses for guitar and that thing is just awesome. I'm a sucker for tuck and roll anyway. I have a musiman with an SS pre and tube power section and it sounds surprisingly warm and tube like even without the tube in the pre section. Good for clean, but you'll never get that tube overdrive out of it...not many steelers want that tho anyway. I love old Earth's Plush Kustom Sunn...that stuff is great.
Thomas Bancroft

Post by Thomas Bancroft »

Bob,

Andy Fuchs in Bloomfield, NJ converts Musicman Amps from SS pre-amp to Tube Pre-amp. Most of those have 6L6 power amp sections. He could probably do yours. Do a net search on Fuchs amps and check out his website.

------------------
Mullen D-10, Melobar Rattler, Nashville 1000, Alesis Midiverb, Too Many Guitars!
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Ben ,, this Earth amp is not the naugahyde tuck n roll.. It is a VERY nice tweed combo with 1x15...looks like a 50's Bassman!... Tom.. I already checked Fuchs website... they want $1100 to do the mod!!!.. Forget that.. I can buy two blackface Bassman heads, and a cheap guitar for THAT kind of money... I like the amp really, but don't like ss pre amps,,, I put it on consignment for peanuts at Rumble Seat Music here in NY state.. It is a VERY cool looking amp.. someone will snap her up,,, thanks for your help guys!! bob