Acoustic Image Amps

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Spencer Johnson

Acoustic Image Amps

Post by Spencer Johnson »

Seeking feedback on Acoustic Image Amps. Has anyone tested or owned the Clarus 1R or 2R - SIII or the Focus 1R or 2R- SIII amps. The info lists the Focus 2R with 800 w @ 4 ohms, weights less than 5 pounds, 2 imputs with 3 band EQ and effects. It's a little pricey at $1549.00 found at www.Acousticimg.com and more info at www.gollihur.com
Nicholas Dedring

Post by Nicholas Dedring »

I know that forumite Jon Widgren plays through one sometimes... heard him with it at a show going through a Marrs cabinet I think. He seemed really happy with it, but I believe you want to call the company and have them mod the midrange for steel... they'll know what to do. they change the frequency that the mid dials up and down... similar to the para shift on the Peaveys etc.

Jon would be a better source than me to mention this, you can probably find his email on here somewhere. For seven pounds I've definitely been tempted myself.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I have an older Coda IIR that I really like. It has a great sound for Jazz and Acoustic. I have played steel through it, but had trouble getting it EQ'd just right. I have heard that Acoustic Image does an EQ mod for steel, but since I will never use it for steel, I never checked into it. These have a great digital reverb built in, an effects loop with level control, and an XLR direct out. I will probably upgrade someday to one of their new 800 watt heads, but I haven't found the right deal yet. They are small, light, and powerful, what more could you want.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Jon Bergh

Post by Jon Bergh »

hey folks...
As I seem to always be saying in my posts, I've been playing less than a year.

I've had the plain-ol' AI Clarus 1 for several years... one channel, no reverb.

I got it to use as a bass amp when I lived in New York. I really like it. I run it through a Raezer's Edge 12-inch cabinet and have good success with upright/electric bass and now steel.

The freaky-effects-junkie in me has currently brought a PodXT in my life. I use it with no amp modelling and just effects. Reverb always.

Viewing my current state as infrequent bassist and frequent steeler I certainly do wish I had a reverb-equipped amp, and sometimes I wonder about the two-channel models. I am happy with the amp-only (no cabinet) version. If the gig needs more than the amp can handle odds are good there is a P.A. in the room.

In short, the versatility of this little beast makes me quite happy. I don't know how it would stack up comparing it to a whole row of specialized favorites for a particular purpose, but it really wins in the "overall" category.

Hope this helps...
-jon<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jon Bergh on 25 April 2006 at 06:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bryan Knox

Post by Bryan Knox »

Darvin,
Why am I not surprised you have one of those amps too?!? Image Image

Please leave me in your will.

sorry, couldn't resist

------------------
<font color="#10e236b"><font size="4">Prevent Juvenile delinquecy...teach children to STEEL</font>

<font color="#10e236b"><font size="4">Mr. DJ, can you please play a real country song? - Dale Watson</font>

Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Hey Bryan, you know how it is, I have to try out about everything that comes along. LOL I sure can't blame my poor playing on my equipment.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Steve Alcott

Post by Steve Alcott »

I use the Clarus SLR for bass and steel (different cabs) and am very happy with the results on both instruments. My advice would be to get the most power you can afford; there's no substitute for headroom.

------------------
MSA Millennium D10, Acoustic Image Clarus SL-R, Marrs 1x15