tube amp tech near SF

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brian Davis

tube amp tech near SF

Post by Brian Davis »

Hey guys,
I know this is probably in the archives somewhere but after 20 minutes of searching I got lazy and gave up. Relocated to the bay area recently and need advice on a good fender tube amp tech. Thanks a lot.

BD
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I'd like to find one too! Image Welcome to the bay area Brian.
Dave Z<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dave Zirbel on 03 April 2006 at 02:10 PM.]</p></FONT>
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

DELETED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 26 Feb 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Davis

Post by Brian Davis »

Yep. Sweet Home went sour, so I manifested a new destiny out west. Thanks for welcome Dave and for the tip, Michael. That place in Fresno seems like just what I'm looking for, although 3 hours is a long way to drive for a checkup. I haven't yet had a chance to cross the bay over to berkeley, has anyone had any experience working with Fatdawg at Subway? I seem to remember someone mentioning a guy up in Marin...? <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Brian Davis on 03 April 2006 at 03:28 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

There used to be Sal Trentino in San Anselmo. He got sick and closed up shop. He was expensive but the best. He worked with Neil Young and Pearl jam as their tech for years. There is a younger guy in Fairfax, Stan Baily of Mojotronix. He may be able to help. Also Torres Engineering in San Mateo is still around.

Dave<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dave Zirbel on 03 April 2006 at 03:42 PM.]</p></FONT>
Steve Waltz

Post by Steve Waltz »

I've used Eric Miller of Euthymia electronics in Alameda. Alameda is just across the bay next to Oakland. 510-337-9240. He seemed very resonable and he has a web group for people into electronic repair. I dropped off an amp and got it back quickly. He even told me how to fix one amp instead of bringing it to him.

I believe that the guy that works with Fat Dog at subway runs his shop out of San Leandro which is a little farthur south.

Dave, I think you should let Eric check out the delux. I'll watch him over his sholder and try to learn something.

Steve
Scott Appleton

Post by Scott Appleton »

CAE SOUND in San Mateo, Used to do Jerry Garcia's amps and others of renound. Very
Pro shop. 650 348 2737

------------------
Mullen S12 Almost Mooney
71 Tele, Regal 45
Sho Bud S10 NP
Line 6 Flextone 3 +, Vox Ad30vt,JBL D130, Acoustic 165 100 W all tube EV 12, Nash 112, digitech 2101 FX, too many stomp boxes
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Steve, Henry took it to a friend of his that is the creator of Two Rock amplifiers. He'll fix it!

BTW Steve, I used the Twin at the Great American music Hall for steel, Dobro and growling lap steel and it sounded fantastic! Used it the next night for guitar and played the strat-amazing! (Got to turn it up to 6-7, hope I didn't hurt anyone!) That is my favorite amp!

DZ
David Phillips

Post by David Phillips »

Both of these guys are highly respected.
Chris at Chris Barnett Electronics (swee@florendipity.com) has a place in Marin
Hal at Guitronics in San Francisco
32 9th St # 101, San Francisco, 94103 - (
415) 621-3135
Brian Davis

Post by Brian Davis »

Thanks for all the help, guys. I ended up taking my little Fender Bronco to Eric Miller of euthymia electronics in alameda. Called him on a Sat afternoon and had the amp back and sounding great a few hours later.
Lee Jeffriess

Post by Lee Jeffriess »

I would like to recomend, Skip Simmons, for all your tube amp repairs, Skip does great work, and is very in tune, with a steel guitarist needs, Skip built me, an amp out of an old Stromberg/Carlson PA head, that sounds unreal,
Skip, is in Dixon CA, here is # 707 678 5705
Tell, him your a steel player
Lee