Ground problem in Telecaster?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Zirbel

Ground problem in Telecaster?

Post by Dave Zirbel »

This is a non steel topic but I need help.

My Tele is picking up all kinds of sounds like when the pickup selector switch clicks into place it comes through the amp real strong. Also tapping on the bridge or vol. knob picks up real strong through the amp.

When turning the volume knob, the volume pot crackles but it's not scratchy like when volume pots go bad in volume pedals. It sounds like static. Also when strumming, if my fingers rub against the pick guard it makes a crackling static type noise.

I have Bill Lawrence pickups in the guitar and wired it up myself so there is a good chance I missed something. The schematic that Bill sent called for some capacitors and resisters in the circuit.

Any suggestions of where to start would be helpful. Thanks, Dave Z
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

My first impulse on hearing that the pickup selector switch clicks real strong through the amp and tapping on the bridge or knobs is picked up strong is to suspect that the bridge pickup is very microphonic. That is a typical symptom in some late 60s or 70s Teles with undipped and microphonic pickups, as well as some reissues I have owned. But I've never observed that in a Lawrence pickup. I suppose there is always a first time. Are these passive pickups? What model? I ask because if you have an active pickup and get any DC voltage on the pot, they might make a staticy scratching noise.

Another possibility is that you have one or both of the pickups wired backwards. Are the pickups electrically out-of-phase when both are turned on? That would indicate just one backwards. Backwards pickup wiring can produce some of the symptoms you mentioned.

I owned a real nice Fernandes Tele several years back that had a pickguard with the static while rubbing syndrome. I changed the pickguard and it went away. I assume it was some kind of actual static caused by two dissimilar materials rubbing together. I have noticed this more on the plasticky modern-style pickguards - never noticed it on a bakelite pickguard.

Those are just some wild guesses, not knowing the exact specifics of the instrument or exactly how it's wired.
Curtis Alford

Post by Curtis Alford »

What amp are you plugged in to and what are your settings. Does this only happen with one amp.
Henry Nagle

Post by Henry Nagle »

Hi Dave... Did it just start all of the sudden? Did you open it up yet? Weird.
Geoff Brown

Post by Geoff Brown »

I think I would ground the pickguard and go from there. Pickguards will hold a static charge just like a balloon rubbed on a shirt, and make quite a racket. It's easy to do.

Make a tracing of the guard on some heavy duty aluminum foil. Trim it so it can't be seen, but MAKE SURE there is foil covering the screw holes.

Glue the foil to the back of the guard. I use a gluestick. Simple.

Run a length of wire from the ground in the control cavity to the neck pickup cavity. Have an inch or so of wire coming out of the cavity...enough to make contact with the foil on the guard when you install it.

Install the pickguard, making sure there is contact with the foil and the wire. The screws will puncture and make contact with the foil.

A static charge created when you rub the pickguard will now be shunted to ground via the screws/foil/wire. I'm not sure if this will solve the entire problem described here, but it sounds like it might. Even if it doesn't, it's a good thing to do. It's invisible and only takes a few minutes.

You could rub a dryer sheet on your pickguard and see if it helps. It's not a permanent fix, but it'll help you diagnose the problem, and yer geetar will smell like it just came out of the dryer Image
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

The thing sounds great. Maybe I'll start with the pickguard. It has an All-parts plastic pickguard. It's been happening for a while but I don't always notice it playing with a full band. Seems to happen more with the Deluxe reverb comparied to the Twin Reverb.

Thanks for the replies-DZ
Tom Mnich

Post by Tom Mnich »

There is a very good website with instructions for electrically shielding noisy single coil pickup guitars. (Strats/Teles) They specifically discuss the pickguard static problem. I have had that problem but haven't yet tried the posted solution. Perhaps you'll want to try some of their tips. www.guitarnuts.com
Papa Joe Pollick

Post by Papa Joe Pollick »

What Tom said.I have ALL my electric insturments shielded as per "guitar nuts.com"instructions, and they all are quiet and clean..PJ
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Dave-this sounds like a job for Michael Dolan in Santa Rosa!

------------------
Mark