I got me a POD XT

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

I got me a POD XT

Post by Johnny Cox »

I ordered a POD XT from my buddy, Tommy Dodd. I got it yesterday and I am already in love with it. Tommy loads his presets into the unit before he ships so it's ready to go on arrival. I plugged the thing in, found the steel stuff and started playing. When I got home last night I created some of my own presets. I also got the mount that Tommy makes for us steel players. It works great. I am setting my POD on the left side of my guitar and going to the power amp in of my 112s. I can only imagine what I'll be able to do once I have read the manual. Thanks Tommy for turning me on to the POD.

------------------

Johnny Cox
MSA Legend D10/12,
10 string MSA Super Slide. Peavey NV112, Walker Stereo Steel, Walker Seats, John Pearce Strings and Bars, Goodrich Volume Pedals, D2F covers, George L cords and a bunch of other stuff.

Mark Metdker

Post by Mark Metdker »

Johnny, can you give us more details about Tommy's PodXTs? Does he have a web page or anything like that? Do you send him the POD and he sets it for you, does he sell them? I may be interested in this.

------------------
Zum U-12 w/True Tone pickup thru a Nashville 112
Strats thru a VHT Super 30
http://community.webshots.com/album/176544894AuXSmi
jonchristopherdavis.com

www.lonestarattitude.net

Dave Ristrim

Post by Dave Ristrim »

I'll tell you, I use the PodXT all the time. Many of the sessions I do in Nashville are done direct with just the PodXT. My road rack contains the PodXT Pro which delivers my steel sound direct to the board. Like any of these muti function devices, it takes awhile to feel comfortable at programming it. But when you get the hang of it, look out!
I may upload some of my patches to the Line6 website at some point. I can't say enough good things about the company or it's products. Line6 is just great. In fact, later today, I'm ordering a PodXT Live.
Dave
Johnny Cox

Post by Johnny Cox »

Mark, Tommy is a Line 6 dealer. He gets the POD, loads it up with his settings and ships it to you. You can do a search on PODXT here on the forum and get tons of info along with Tommy's contact info.

------------------

Johnny Cox
MSA Legend D10/12,
10 string MSA Super Slide. Peavey NV112, PODXT, Walker Seats, John Pearce Strings and Bars, Goodrich Volume Pedals, D2F covers, George L cords and a bunch of other stuff.

Mark Metdker

Post by Mark Metdker »

Johnny, do you know if he is coming to the Dallas show?
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

I, like Dave Ristrim have the PODxtPro (the rack mount version of the PODxt)

I was tired of the POD - hanging off of my guitar and the bracket marring my steel legs. I sold both pieces to b0b.

It was also kind of hard to fit into my seat and I usually carried it around separate.

I like the PODxtPro - rack version alot. I use it to record with in the studio and also I use it to record into my PC with the USB interface.

If you are interested in how that works just drop me an E mail.

***I am interested in having the settings that Tommy is using for PSG****

If you can, anyone that has them, please send to me. via E mail would be just fine.

Thanks in advance!
Tim Harr
sfcharr@hotmail.com

Mike Phillips

Post by Mike Phillips »

i, too, have the PODxt. i use it for late night practicing while the lady is sleeping and for recording into protools.

i'm happy with the sounds i have tweaked for steel, especially the Twin model, but i'd love to see the settings that come loaded on this special steelPOD!

if there are details out there, please post or email them.

thanks in advance!
mike
Ron Sodos

Post by Ron Sodos »

I met Tommy in Mesa and watched him demo the Pod. I also watched intently as he played his show. I fell in love and ordered it as well as the Stewart power amp. I am waiting for delivery right now and I am very excited to start using it.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ron Sodos on 15 February 2006 at 01:37 PM.]</p></FONT>
Johnny Cox

Post by Johnny Cox »

Mark, Tommy will be in Dallas and should have several PODs and leg mounts with him.

------------------

Johnny Cox
MSA Legend D10/12,
10 string MSA Super Slide. Peavey NV112, PODXT, Walker Seats, John Pearce Strings and Bars, Goodrich Volume Pedals, D2F covers, George L cords and a bunch of other stuff.

Mark Metdker

Post by Mark Metdker »

Thanks bro'....I'll see both of ya'll there.

------------------
Zum U-12 w/True Tone pickup thru a Nashville 112
Strats thru a VHT Super 30
http://community.webshots.com/album/176544894AuXSmi
jonchristopherdavis.com

www.lonestarattitude.net

Bob Morgan

Post by Bob Morgan »

Does anyone know how to contact Tommy Dodd?
Does he have a web site?
I would like to find out more about the Pod
unit.
How much is it.

Bob
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

You can email the Moderator of the "Humor" and "Our Extended Family" sections. I hear she sleeps with him. Image
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Ron,
The POD-XT and the Stewart power amp are quite a combo. I built a cabinet with a 1501-4SB and mounted the Stewart in the back of it. About 40 pounds for a 200 watt powered speaker cabinet. Got an aluminum hand gun case (brief case style) from the local Wal-Mart and cut the foam insert to fit the POD and still had room in there to put the bracket and power supply. Put that puppy on the guitar and everything you care to access is at our finger tips.
Chick Donner

Post by Chick Donner »

Yeh, John, the Pods are something else. I went to a Pod XT Pro a while back, with a Stewart World 1.6 in a rack, and 2 (Duane) Marrs closed back cabs with BW's. The sound I've been looking for for a long time.
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Johhny. Glad to hear it.

You might try the "Tweed Bassman" amp model. I found that it's less piercing than the Blackface or Twin models and has the similar curious "edge" found with the old Bassman rectifier tubes that were so sweet for steel.

I know you'll enjoy it.

A good way to choose effects is to save the same basic model to all four channels of a bank with different saved "defaults", and switched with a small 4 channel FBV2, like one with the "tremolo" on, or maybe one with less reverb. Then the Pod can be completely out of the way.

Different 4 channel banks can contain different settings for different gigs or venues.

I've found that killing completely the "decay" in the larger reverbs make them a lot cleaner yet maintaining the "reverb". The regenerations seem to be where a lot of mud comes from.

Enjoy.

EJL
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

On my PODxt Pro ..I use the:

JAZZ CLEAN amp sound with a 1-15" spkr or the 2x12" spkr setting

I also really like the Vintage Plate Reverb the POD has.

I run this through my WEBB 6-14E (15 BW spkr)

David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Can a PODxt run a stereo path? Can you split the signal, put reverb on one side and overdrive on the other then remix them?
Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

It has one input, two outputs.
jim milewski

Post by jim milewski »

I use the poor mans version of the Pod, the Genesis 3, I thought it was a great step in processors when they were made the size of a text book with as many features as the rack mount units. I don't use any amp model as most seem they're for six string, but the 4x10 American cabinet simulation is pretty good, I'm heading to play it now and adjust the decay on the reverb to less as EW pointed out
Johnny Cox

Post by Johnny Cox »

Here is how to see Tommy's mounting bracket and contact him to purchase a PODXT and bracket.
www.tommydodd.com
tommydodd@mindspring.com

------------------

Johnny Cox
MSA Legend D10/12,

Tommy Dodd

Post by Tommy Dodd »

Johnny, thanks for the kind words about my POD XT setups. I have become very dependent on the POD and its capabilities. Actually, I’ve dubbed it the steel players’ “musical Swiss army knife” because it does so many things so well. It has wonderful effects, it is a great preamp (emulating several classic amplifiers and speaker combos), has one of the most powerful and clearest headphone amps I’ve ever used, and has a very adequate tuner…built in.

The POD XT’s I sell have been loaded with most of my current settings for pedal steel guitar as well as some for lap steel, lead and acoustic guitars. I have arranged the most useful sounds and duplicated these into a consecutive grouping of presets. These provide the basics of reverb and delay using the ’69 Twin Reverb preamp for a model and with adjacent presets I provide progressive amounts of reverb/delay and gives you plenty of headroom for a crystal clear and clean tone. I also include some “extra” sounds that I have found useful on the bandstand or studio to add another dimension to the steel. These include presets for a B3 organ sound, varying amounts of distortion and phaser for rock n’roll (yeah, Joe Wright would approve!), and a cool sounding Dobro-type sound. These sounds are all just tools but,when handled and applied properly, it can enhance a players versatility and adds to his value as a musician. And with the addition of my POD bracket all of these sounds are continuously available at your finger tips. (If you haven’t seen what I’m talking about, here’s a link to a blurb about my bracket here

I am looking forward to seeing everyone in Dallas and will have a few PODs and brackets if you are interested. If you’d like to contact me directly the information can be seen on the “blurb” link above.

Again, thanks Johnny for buying the POD and I hope it continues to serve you well. Being the great player you are, I can’t wait to hear what you can make it do……
Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

All the stuff on my YouTube page was done with
my PODxt into an old tweed Bassman cab with a
power amp & Eminence Deltalite speaker mounted
inside.
<a href=http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... ch>YouTube page</a>

<font face=radagund><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jay Ganz on 10 August 2006 at 06:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ron Sodos

Post by Ron Sodos »

I received my POD XT and Stewart Power Amp that I bought from Tommy yesterday. I am in steel guitar heaven. WOW!!! is all I can say. What tone! What control, and I won't hurt my back anymore toting my Nashville 1000........ Image
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

I have a Pod XT with Tommy's presets, and his leg rack dealie, I'm not very experienced yet but it is very capable, and very clean. Tommy got great tone at Mesa through his setup.

One feature it lacks is an input so you can play a CD or iPod through it, hear yourself and a track in headphones plugged into the Pod. Anyone know of a tiny little mixer I could run the Pod and my iPod through, listen to the mix with headphones?

------------------
E9 lessons
Mullen D-12/Carter SD-10/Webb amp/Profex II/Lexicon MPX-110

Jim Florence

Post by Jim Florence »

Hey Tommy, I still have the Pod bracket I bought from you at last year's Dallas show. Haven't bought a Pod yet,Hmmmm, Maybe this year.