Best reverb/delay pedal.

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Haselman

Best reverb/delay pedal.

Post by Michael Haselman »

I know the RV-3 is popular. What other combination reverb/delay is out there? I'm sick of the sproinging in my Webb and want to use a pedal or effect, something available on E-bay for not too much. Also, is the delay good in the RV-3? Ideally, I want one effect for both. I'm using a Boss DD-3.

------------------
Marrs D-10, Webb 6-14E

Michael Garnett

Post by Michael Garnett »

I recently picked up a Line6 DL-4 Delay Modeler, and love it. It's got something like 15 different delays including great reproductions of old tube, tape, analog and digital reverbs. They go for around $250 new, but I bet you could find one for cheaper used.

-MG

Oh, and I'm not sure about a reverb pedal, I'm using either the spring reverb in my Nashville 400 or in the Mesa studio preamp, I really like a warm spring reverb sound like that. I've heard good things about the Holy Grail reverb pedal, which retails for $100.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Michael Garnett on 20 December 2005 at 04:55 PM.]</p></FONT>
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Michael - With that unit, can you program in a combination of reverb and delay?

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

Mullen U-12, Evans FET-500, Fender Steel King

Carl Williams

Post by Carl Williams »

Michael, I recently bought an RV-3 and the Reverb/Delay are very good IMHO. Plus, it's very simple to use and isn't too expensive--paid $100 for mine. I have an NV400 w/15" Black Widow and Brad's Black Box--works for me! Good luck on your choice--Carl
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I just looked at the DL-4 manual, on line. I don't see any reference to reverbs.

Lee
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Lee,- not sure if the DL-4 features reverb, but while you're at the Line6 website check out the new "Verbzilla" reverb pedal. This reverb sounds very good to me, and I believe one of the settings include delay but I'm not sure how much control of the delay it offers.

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Richard E. Lee

Post by Richard E. Lee »

Michael, I don't know of anything any better.I have one and just love it. I have been looking for another one..but they are expensive and even on E-bay used..are still $125 or more.
I just today saw on the Roland (Boss) website..and new "DD-6". By mentioning this..I hope some of the "smarter" guys than me..will read the description..and tell us..whether or not this is the new version of the old RV-3 now on the market,,from Boss. If so..I will buy one..I use my RV-3 all the time..and would be lost without it..
Lets see what the others say..thanks for bringing this up..I'm sure its interesting to all of us..who love these RV-3's.
Richard E. Lee

Post by Richard E. Lee »

I was just reading more about that DD-6. It talks about Delay..nothing I see refers to "reverb"..So I'm reading that as..this is NOT 1)..anything new..2) not a replacement for the RV-3.. (wish it was).
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I think the RV-5 replaced the RV 3.

Not sure about the BOSS DD-20 twin pedal.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Kevin Mincke on 21 December 2005 at 11:51 AM.]</p></FONT>
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

The Line 6 DL-4 does not have any reverb settings, but you can dial in a "quick" analog echo that comes close to a reverb.

The Boss Delay/Reverb seems like your best option, seeing that it's one of the only pedals that provides both effects.
Michael Garnett

Post by Michael Garnett »

Right, for clarification, a delay pedal adds delay. A reverb pedal adds reverb. The DL-4 is a delay pedal, a very good one at that. It's too bad that Webb's can doesn't sound good to your ears. I really like real spring reverb, especially now that I have two good ones. I played with digital reverb for years, and it just never sounded right to me.

-MG
Duane Dunard

Post by Duane Dunard »

A while back, somebody posted Loyd Green's Boss RV-3 settings. It was exactly what I was looking for and fits neatly into my pac-seat for transport. So far, I've not found another new stomp-box pedal to replace the RV-3 and used RV-3's go quick on this Forum.
David Rich

Post by David Rich »

Alesis Nanoverb is a small 1/3 rack space unit thats not much bigger than a pedal and works great. Other possibilities, EH Holy Grail, Yamaha Magic Stomp, Zoom 505.
Roger Francis

Post by Roger Francis »

I'll have to go with what Steinar said, the verbzilla is a nice pedal but there is'nt any delay except for an echo reverb, at least thats what the manual i think is saying it is.
I have an RV3 but i don't care for the reverb in it but the delay is nice.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Roger Francis on 21 December 2005 at 08:17 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Sorry to hijack this thread, but check out what a friend of mine did to his delay unit.
Broken wah modded to control the delay time. Hope this pick works. BTW are you guys familiar with analogman.com ? Maybe a lil more fuss than what most of you are after but for those interested in experimenting he does great things. This frankenstein below isnt analogman's work, like I said just a pals. analogman can be found here http://www.analogman.com/
and he does mods on all the Boss stuff.Heres a direct link to the DD5 and DD6 mods, the high end cut mod is especially useful for those of us who prefer the warmth of analog delay to digital. http://www.analogman.com/dd5.htm
Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ben Jones on 21 December 2005 at 09:10 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ben Jones on 21 December 2005 at 09:22 AM.]</p></FONT>
Stephan Miller

Post by Stephan Miller »

Michael-- So far the only units mentioned here that will provide both reverb and delay are the RV-3 and the Nanoverb. So will the Lexicon MPX-100 and MPX-110 (which are rack units); they're far more versatile
and can be picked up used for $100-120.
Michael Haselman

Just for the record, I like the Webb reverb sound. It's just that on some stages it starts sproinging when you walk by it. And I play guitar and fiddle and like to move around a bit when I play. I guess if I still had my remote reverb pot I could control it, but I lost that in about '83, and I think the jack was removed also. Say...anybody have a spare Webb remote reverb laying around?

------------------
Marrs D-10, Webb 6-14E

Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

"Sproinging". Now that's what I call onomatopoeic.
Michael Haselman

Sproinging is the essence of onomatopoeic. And I'm thankful for copy and paste, because that's a damn long word!
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

The RV-3 is much better sounding than the RV-5. I've heard that the new Line 6 (I think) "Verbzilla" is great although I haven't tried one.
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

Oops, I have an RV-2 which I've tried side by side with the RV-3 and liked it a lot more. I think that when they added delay they sacrificed a lot of the reverb quality.
Buck Dilly

Post by Buck Dilly »

"Holy Grail, Batman". I love the reverbs in the POD XT. I hate it when you get to a crappy stage at some outdoor gig, in the summer. That is when I want reverb the most...outdoors.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

The Electro Harmonix reverb is still the best in the biz, IMHO. For delays, there are a lot and the Keeley mod to some delay pedals is outrageous.