Goodrich Model 7A Super Sustain box

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Berry

Goodrich Model 7A Super Sustain box

Post by David Berry »

Do any of you steelers use one of these? I recently purchased one and use it on my GFI Ultra D-10. Honestly, I can't really tell if it's doing all that much to add sustain or not. If it is, it's marginal. I also have/play a Carter SD-10. It has natural sustain that blows my GFI away, even when using the sustain box. I would never use this box with the Carter. Don't get me wrong, I love my GFI, but the pickups are different than on my Carter which has the Bill Lawerence XR-16s. Do any of you who use the Goodrich 7A sustain box have anything constructive to say to help me feel better about my purchase? Am I doing something wrong? Am I expecting a lot when I should only be listening for a little? Thanks!
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

David - Read this thread about "sustain" boxes, paying particular attention to Larry's explaination.

Lee, from South Texas
Owen F. Clark

Post by Owen F. Clark »

My Two Cents worth: I go from my steel ( Mullen S D 10)io a Googritch Super Sustain to a Boss Compression Sustainer To My Goocrich volume pedal. The Boss acts as a pre- amp and also gives me some tone control as well as a master volume control. A lot of good stuff for the money spent. It ends up going through a Lexicon MX200 to a Nash 1000 and Session 400. I'm 71 years old and have been playing Steel Guitar all my life.My life began three years ago when fell in love with this beautiful instrument. LOL
Owen F. Clark

Post by Owen F. Clark »

Sorry, but forgot to add that I have near Infinate sustain. More, I think than anyone could ever want or need. At least thats my opinion.
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

The only true sustain box I know of is the Ebow.

Brad

Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I'm not sure if the Goodrich unit actually adds sustain, or not. But I use one for a "cleaner" sound and I really like the volume and tone controls you have right at your finger tips.
David Berry

Post by David Berry »

Thanks for all your comments! They have been very insightful and helpful.