Sho Bud Twin Tube Amp Parts

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Scott Swartz

Sho Bud Twin Tube Amp Parts

Post by Scott Swartz »

I picked up four 6L6 Sho Bud Twin Tube amp (the one with all the sliders) from a forum member as a restoration project.

After analyzing the circuit, I decided to gut and completely rebuild to a different circuit using terminal strips.

So, I have the main board PCB and the board with all the sliders available free (you pay shipping) to anyone who wants them. None of the sliders are broken off, but they need a good cleaning.
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Scptt, I sent you an email.
Jerry
Scott Swartz

Post by Scott Swartz »

Parts are held for Jerry.

Rich Young

Post by Rich Young »

Interesting project. I have one of these amps, sounds like the same one. Good sound but I was thinking about getting into it and modding it.
Are you going to build it up like a fender twin? Using the same transformers and such?
I'd be interested on what you do and what results you have.

Do you have a schematic? I couldn't find one anywhere.

You can me email directly, too.
Thanks
Scott Swartz

Post by Scott Swartz »

I am using the ShoBud choke, power and output transformers, they measure out very similar to Twin Reverb transformers.

I am remaking as a more or less Twin Reverb

I will post some pics as I progress.
Brett Habben

Post by Brett Habben »

Scott,
Are you still looking for a schematic? Somewhere around here I have one for mine 'cause I started modding it immediately after buying it used in '75. From what I remember, the basic layout is similiar to a twin, in fact from the phase inverter back it's identical to a BF twin. The one odd tube is the reverb drive, no reverb drive transformer, so no fender reverb sound, more like an ampeg reverb. The tone stack is a different configuration.
The worst part about the amp is the fact that the tube sockets are right on the PCB. The output transformer may be small, but sounds really good. I turned mine into a guitar head; xtra 12ax7 ch1 w/master vol, ch. switching, changed power amp to twin 5f8-a circuit (ended up with el34's). It's a totally different amp from what it started out as.
Adios,
Brett
PS. Anybody know who actually designed this model of Sho Bud amp?
Scott Swartz

Post by Scott Swartz »

Brett,

I guess I don't really need a schem since I gutted the amp and am only using the transformers. I will have it done in a few days and post some pics.

I ripped out the PCB and am using the standard Fender reverb circuit with transformer, I guess I will sell the high input impedance reverb pan here or on ebay, I already have a new one on hand to work with the tranny.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Scott Swartz on 22 October 2005 at 10:23 PM.]</p></FONT>
Rich Young

Post by Rich Young »

Brett -

I would like a schematic, if you have one.
Since it would appear to be not a lot different than a BF twin, it would probably be an easy mod. I'm not crazy about the tone stack, so changing that would be the first to go.

The reverb is pretty bad, but I've used a holy grail in front of it, and that works fine, at least for steel.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Rich Young on 23 October 2005 at 03:49 PM.]</p></FONT>
Brett Habben

Post by Brett Habben »

Rich,
You're in luck, I found the schematic. It's small and a little difficult to make out. I'll see if I can make a clean scan of it. If not, I may have to just photocopy it and mail it to you.
I'll keep you posted.
Adios,
Brett
Brett Habben

Post by Brett Habben »

Rich,
I posted the schematic on this forum under a new heading to find it easier: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/007900.html
Good Luck!
Brett
Rich Young

Post by Rich Young »

Great, Thanks!

When I get some time I will tear it apart and rebuild it more like a twin. This will help alot, tracing wires can be a nightmare! ;-)