What's a good, stompbox FX unit?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John McClung

What's a good, stompbox FX unit?

Post by John McClung »

I have to fly on gigs soon, and need a good-sounding, small, light stompbox with delay, reverb, maybe a touch of chorus, that's really all. I already have compression and distortion in stompboxes, but may need simple and effective sweetening. The little Digitech RP units any good? Thanks!

------------------
E9 lessons
Mullen D-12/Webb amp/Profex II

Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Peavey MAX 100 would fit the bill. Easy to operate and easy to find a a great price. Try Ebay and musicgoround.com.

Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

'Anyone know of a stompbox Delay that will allow you to pre-set deley times?
For example, I'd like to be able to turn a knob and be at exactly 330ms, or maybe as you turn the knob it shows exactly what the delay time is, so you can set it quickly and accuratly to a specific delay time.
I can do this with rackmount gear no problem, but was hoping to find something that fits easily into the ol' steel seat.
Thx,
Pete B.
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Pete,- never tried one myself, but I believe the Line6 DL4 may fit the bill.
I had a Line6 "Echo Park", which is the smaller version, and it's the best delay I've used so far (but it can't be pre-programmed like the DL4).

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Steinar Gregertsen on 09 August 2005 at 08:49 AM.]</p></FONT>
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Thanks, Steiner. That one is a bit bigger than I was hoping to find.
I came across a pedal called an Ibanez PDD1 Programmable Delay, but I don't think they are still made. http://www.axeandyoushallreceive.com/images/pdd1_1.jpg
Looks like it would fit the bill, though, maybe for John as well.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Pete Burak on 09 August 2005 at 08:52 AM.]</p></FONT>
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

The Boss DD-20 should also do the trick, and unlike with the Line6, you can set the delay time in milliseconds. Still a bit larger than regular stompboxes though...

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Jim Ives

Post by Jim Ives »

John,
I have an RV-3 I am happy to lend to you. I just don't want to sell it.
-Jim

------------------
Mullen D-10 -or- Zum D-10
Lexicon MPX 100 -or- RV3
Fulltone Full-Drive II
Evans FET 500 -or-
Peavey Nashville 1000
Vox wah-wah pedal
My dog Toby sittin' on the floor listening

Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

You can do that with the MAX 100. Kind of like a Profex 2 in a stompbox. I think you can have 16 user presets with the effects you want on each.

I just ordered one and am anxious to set it up. They are 24 bit technology and rugged as they come. It does have a Transtubefex preamp and real time controls on it!
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

A friend of mine is using the Yamaha MagicStomp and giving it rave reviews--fits everything you wanted, and small, too...
Charlie Moore

Post by Charlie Moore »

I use a DigiTech X series digital delay,best i've found in a stomp box..
Charlie...
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Anyone use an Alesis Nanoverb? There's one for sale on the Forum, many on eBay. Gary Walker apparently plays one and loves it. Are they clean sounding?
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Steinar, I have the Boss DD-20, I chose it over the Line 6 DL-4. It's twice the size of a standard stomp box, but it has four programmable presets, a LARGE digital readout of delay time, tap tempo, great analog and tape sounds----and it's about twenty bucks cheaper that the Line 6 unit!
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Does the DD-20 do chorus or any other type of modulation f/x, or just delays? How about reverb?
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Looks like the Yamaha Magic Stomp is marked down to $89.99 at MF. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=clearance/search/detail/base_pid/151558/
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

If I remember correctly, you edit the settings on the Yamaha unit with a computer.
Michael Whitley

Post by Michael Whitley »

John, I also use the Yamaha Magicstomp. I mainly use mine for recording, using Yamaha's stock "steel" patch. Pros: Sound quality, variety of effects, ability to download patches (including a few for steel). Con: It requires time and computer skills to set up. It's more than you need, but they're reasonably priced, and I sure like mine.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Thanks for such great replies and ideas, lots to look at and try out now. Keep 'em coming!

Still no feedback on the tiny Digitech RP50 and others like it, are they lousy?
Dennis Wallis

Post by Dennis Wallis »

I recently got a Digitech RP50 for a spare and for curiosity. It works great. Has all the effects you'll probably ever need and even has EQ. You can program it to suit you. And it is small and lightweight and inexpensive. At first it was kinda noisy but when I ran it thru the effects loop the noise went away and it sounds great. Good stomp box for the money.
Mark Herrick

Post by Mark Herrick »

<SMALL>Anyone use an Alesis Nanoverb?</SMALL>
Hey John, I think Gary Brandin uses one of these...
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Thanks, Mark, I'll give Mr. Vandura a call about the Nanoverb. Last time I heard him play, it through a dinky tube amp, the Holy Grail reverb pedal, and that was it. Great great sound, too!

------------------
E9 lessons
Mullen D-12/Webb amp/Profex II