What's the smallest amp you can use?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

L. A. Wunder

What's the smallest amp you can use?

Post by L. A. Wunder »

I need some advice. What is the smallest amp you can resonably use for pedal steel? Due to physical limitaions, I need an amp that is as small and light as possible. My ability to accept potential future gigs depends on it. I've seen some pretty small amps, but I don't know if they would work for steel. Any help or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

L.A.
Frank Verdone

Post by Frank Verdone »

Check out Evans Custom Amplifiers they are Super
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

Peavey Nashville 112 has been recognized here on the Steel Forum as one of the BEST SMALL amps with a BIG SOUND out on the market for Steel Guitar. It's hard to beat a PEAVEY!
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I have an Evans AE100 with an 8" speaker that sounds surprising good with a steel. I have used it on a couple of different occasions with a fairly loud band and it performed great.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

I saw Eric W. the other night with just his NV112, it sounded really great and he was cutting through a failry loud band, too.
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

Have you looked at something like the POD device that would let you go direct into the PA without an amp? I don't have any firsthand experience with one, but could be an alternate answer to your question.
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

I have a Fender Delux 90 DSP (Digital sig. Proc.), 90 watts, and about 27 lbs, one 12" Celestion (Marshall amps)speaker. I bought it just for a practice, but now use it on all my small club gigs, and even some large venues as a monitor before being miced off. Lighter, smaller and cheaper than the PV 112, and a good sound. Can't say how they compare as I have never played though the PV 112 (my other car is a Session 500).

------------------
Dave Wren
'95Carter S12-E9/B6,7X7; Session500; Hilton Pedal
www.ameechapman.com

Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Questions:

--ideally, what sort of sound are you looking for (classic country steel guitar? roots rock/country?)

--what sort of rooms are you playing (cafes? bars? VFW halls?)

--what sort of budget?

There are some good options including some outside-the-box solutions for lightweight rigs. But $$$ limits and wattage requirements will have a bearing on this.
L. A. Wunder

Post by L. A. Wunder »

Thanks for all your replies, a assure you they are appreciated.

John, in answer to your questions.
I am looking for a basic "country" sound, with a minimum of whine.
The venue would be the choir loft of a Catholic church.
Said loft it at the top of two flights of stairs, and I am a heart patient. So, while money is a consideration, the biggest consideration would be the weight.

I was wondering if any of the small amps that run on both battery & electric would be sufficient for such a use. Has anyone ever used such an amp? Do they work?

Again, I appreciate all your responses, and I'll check-out the amp sites you mentioned. If anyone can think of any other ideas, your suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks again,

L.A.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

OK--this isn't cheap but it's a question of just what it's worth to you. You simply won't find a lighter weight solution than an Acoustic Image head:
http://www.acousticimg.com/products/prod_clarus.html

and a Marrs cab:
http://www.duanemarrs.com/Products.0.html

loaded with a Neo speaker from Celestion or Eminence.

Instead of the Acoustic Image and its price point, I just recently bought something that is WAY inferior but is surprisingly usable--a Crate Powerblock head:
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--CRACPB150

Just add reverb--E-H Holy Grail or a Boss RV-3 and you are in business with stuff that you can carry in one hand.

OTOH, I will second the recommendation--a Nash 112 would be a good choice and it is one piece.
Gary Stiles

Post by Gary Stiles »

Another vote for the Nashville 112. I just picked up one used (4 motnhs old). IMHO very pewerful and easily portable with great tonal variety. What an amp!

------------------
Gary Stiles
seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

AER Compact 60 sounds good for E9, at low vol. and it weighs 13lbs. In a choir loft you won't need much vol. at all and prob. no reverb! You could prob. get by with a Roland MicroCube. Image

------------------
Chris Kennison
Colorado