Volume pots for Goodrich pedal 120

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

T. A. Gibson

Volume pots for Goodrich pedal 120

Post by T. A. Gibson »

I have been using the Goodrich volume 120 for several years. My question is the available of good pots. I know the old Allen Bradley pots was my choice, but I also know they are not available any more. Have tried the Clarostat many times thru the years, and have never found one of them any good. I bought one from one of our good dealers and now after about two months it won't shut off. I do know how to replace them and adjust the string. I do have a collection of the Clarostats! I know the numbers, one is EJAin116P504A-5ook-0349 type EJ. This number is the recent purchase. The number I took out which came in a new pedal I brought 2-3 years ago was EJAIN056S504A-500k-0123 type EJ. I understand Goodrich has stopped using Clarostat. My question is what brand and number should I look for to have a realable pot. I do understand I need an audio taper instead of linear.
Somebody do help me!

Emmons LaGrande II
strewert 1.2
Transtube fex
Lixcon 500
T. A. Gibson 15" cabinets
Carl Williams

Post by Carl Williams »

T.A., You might try contacting Del City Music in Del City, Oklahoma at (405) 677-8777. I believe they have the Allen Bradley, Type J pots. Good Luck, Carl
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

It's been at least 20 years since Clarostat bought Allen Bradley and rebranded the pot with the Clarostat name.

With the fact, "nobody in the world" has an old "NOS" Allen Bradley's of the correct value, how does this store have any?
Carl Williams

Post by Carl Williams »

Sorry for the confusion but here's what I was referring to with regards to T.A. looking for a pot. This is a quote from the guy who has just recently replaced the POT in my old Sho-Bud volume pedal: "Ok Carl; the sho-bud volume pedal is all done> pictures attached.
Put the new Allen Bradley pot in and a new string and it works and sounds great...no scratch/noise....just nice sweeping volume!
The Old pot I took out IS the exact same pot...probably the original...as that's what they put in them way back; was the Allen Bradley(AB TypeJ 500K)pot."
I bought this new/old pot at Del City Music within the past couple of months. If memory serves, the store mgr said he had found some of these old pots and bought up several. Of course, even though companies shut down/stop manufacturing their products, some of their products may still be available...Once again T.A., hope this helps you. Carl<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Carl Williams on 06 July 2005 at 08:59 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Daugherty

Post by John Daugherty »

TA, If the pedal will not shut off the problem is most likely the string has broken or slipped. Remove the bottom cover of the pedal and see if the string is turning the pot. The set screw in the pulley may be loose.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

There are many NOS Allen Bradley's around but there ar NO AB's, 500K audio with the "AA" taper. Many of us have searched all over the place for these, as has George Lewis (George L's) and no one could come up with the specific model pot. Lots of Audio's were found but not the "AA" taper pot.
Richard McDonald

Post by Richard McDonald »

TA,I have some real nice canadian pot's that are killer.Be glad to ship you one.
T. A. Gibson

Post by T. A. Gibson »

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to try some the suggestions. I am very familiar with changeing the pots as I have done so many times. The problem is it won't shut off. It also opens too quickly. This is the first time this pedal pot has been changed. Thanks so much for all the imput.
Great forum!

Emmons LaGrande II
world 1.2
Transtuble fex
Lexicon
T. A.Gibson 15' cabenits
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

well what is Goodrich using in the 120's now ?

t
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The last, new, Goodrich I saw was about a year ago and they were using a Clarostat 500K but it was a standard Audio pot, not the "AA" modified Analog taper that we are all used to.

The standard analog taper pot would go along with the way you are seeing it operate. The full off, should be adjustable by loosening the set screw on the pulley and turning the pot until you get "full off". Then tighten the set screw. You will probably get something less than full volume but a little more volume on the amp will compensate for that.

Another thought, is the pot wired correctly?
T. A. Gibson

Post by T. A. Gibson »

I really appreciate all of info and comments about the pots. The whole truth is I have replaced several pots thru the years. I have advance licence in ham radio and do understand the importance of good connects. When I first put the pot in, it turned off and worked. After a little while it began to not shut off. The opening curve is not good or to my expections. Maybe I'm too picky. I really appreciate the input of all you good gentlemen, I have ordered the Canadian pot and will try it. Have tried to call Mid-City about the Ab's but no answer. I may have tried at the wrong time.
Thanks again every one for your most kind help. Again a good forum, I enjoy it.

Emmons and Mullen
world 1.2
Transtube Fex
Lexicon 500
Self built cabinets with peavey 15's
T. A. Gibson

Post by T. A. Gibson »

I'm sorry about the reference to Mid City, I should have said Del City,
Thanks again, everyone
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Here are the part numbers for the original Allen Bradley and the later Clarostat that were the modified analog taper.

I have no idea why companies such as Goodrich, George L's, etc can't get these anymore.

Original Allen Bradley JA1N200P504AA 500K Type J

Clarostat (1993) JA1N056S504AA 500K Type J

Just for reference, my electronics experience goes back to 1955 in the Air Force, and I've held a General Class Ham license and a 2nd Class FCC Radiotelephone Licencse and worked in electronics (and for a while amp repair) until I retired in 96. I still do some amp and PC repair.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Jack, it would be much easier if you would just send us all 1 of each ! Image

t
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Tony, I'd love to have a s..tpot full of those, I could retire. But I don't have any, just posted the part numbers for the original ones.
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

I just had my two gr 120 peds done over by spirit steel using the canadian pots, The travel, tone ,volume all are great. As for longevity I can't say as I just received today but my sound is so much better. CC
Larry Strawn

Post by Larry Strawn »

I just put in one of the Canadian pots today, every thing is working fine, smooth, good tone. Got it from Bobbe SGN.

Larry

------------------
Emmons S/D-10, 3/4, Sessions 400 Ltd. Home Grown E/F Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"

Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

I got one from Ricky Davis for a spare, never used it as I have a photo cell pedal now. The numbers done't correspond with any one listed in this post.....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

T. A. Gibson

Post by T. A. Gibson »

Again I want to thank everyone for your kind imput to the question about volume pots. I really believe I have found the answer only by some of you. I purchased one of the Canadian pots from Richard at Spirit Steel in Broken Arrow, Ok. He was kind enough to send me. I received it yesterday, installed it last night, played it today and tonight. I'm truly happy with it. It has a good tone, very smooth, and got an excellent taper. Thanks again every one, T.A.

Emmons LaGrande II
Mullen
Tubefex, Transtubefex
Lexicon 500
Peavey CS800
World 1.2
Self made cabents with Peavey 15's
Peavey Nashville 112"s
Charlie Shifflett

Post by Charlie Shifflett »

Richard
You have mail
Richard is those vol. pots just for goodrich peds. every other peds.
I need one bad.
Thanks Charlie
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

A pot, is a pot, is a pot! If it works in one pedal, it will most likely work in almost any brand of pedal. Sho-Bud, Bigsby, Emmons, Derby, Franklin, Goodrich and similar style pedals for sure! Even Fender, if you wish to use that value! Image I have an AB, a Clarostat and a P.E.C. in (3)-different vol-pedals and they all work just fine.

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’04 SD–10 Black Derby w/3 & 5 & Pad
’49-’50 Fender T–8 Custom
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
web site
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

Yeah John but look who you are!! cc
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

Contact Tom Bradshaw. I got a Dunlop pot from him which is better sounding than the Clarostat...it's super quiet in comparison. He doesn't carry the Clarostat anymore because of its poor quality. I think teh Dunlop was about $25 bucks.

Tom's email is:

tbradshaw@california.com

Richard McDonald

Post by Richard McDonald »

Charlie,Got one heading your way.You should have it monday.Let me know what you think about it.